Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS slab the medal from 2005 Westward Nickel set?

Comments

  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Looks like camo.image
    Becky
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭
    Awesome look to your Peace medal......


    I've often wondered how an axe and a hockey stick symbolize peace.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Awesome look to your Peace medal......


    I've often wondered how an axe and a hockey stick symbolize peace. >>



    ax = Native American (PC for "Indian")
    clay pipe = White guys sitting down to share a smoke with the Inidans.

    Maybe they could have tried an Indian headdress and three cornered hat, but that probably would not have fit in space available.

    At any rate the whole thing was 19th century PC given the way the White man treated the Indians. Dispite what we think of the original Jefferson Indian Peace medals as rare and great collectors' which they are, the Indians didn't think much of them because they were hollow. The first mint didn't know how to strike something that large at first.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file