Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any one know this one?

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks in advance Type2.



imageimage


Hoard the keys.

Comments

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The design resembles a Crusader coin, but there are certain aspects about the strike which look too modern for that.

    A fantasy issue, perhaps. You could try it on the Darkside.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya i posted it over there but it take 2 or 3 days for a answer over there. image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, hang on. I think it might be a silver grosso or denaro from Genoa (in Italy). 13th century or thereabouts.

    I'm dealing with a miserable satellite connection that keeps going in and out, and trying to sift through some pages in Italian.

    Stand by. If I do not post again, you'll know my connection finally crashed.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    My connection is for s__t right now. Worse than the dialup I had in 1999.

    Because of that, I can't see pictures on any of these pages. They won't load.

    Try here and here. The text descriptions in those sound right.

    Or just try searching "CUNRADI REX" and see what you come up with.

    I suppose there was a King Conrad in Genoa in the 1200s.

    The strike on that looks too good to be true for a 13th century coin, but I suppose it's possible. If so, this could be a nice piece to have.

    I won't know until my @#%*ing connection works again. It took three or four minutes for the page to load just so I could type this.

    And for this we pay HughesNet fifty-some bucks a month. image

    (One thing that sux about living way out in the boondocks is the lack of other high speed internet options. It's either suckass satellite, or ridiculously slow dialup. Not a great choice either way. But I digress.)

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know who you could try asking? Nibanny. I was chatting with him just this morning (well, yesterday morning, now) about medieval Italian coins. He showed me a beguiling tray of gold from that period.

    Also try Josh Moran (CIVITAS). Or Coachleonard or STLNats. Those are Jedi Darksiders in the know about a lot of really old coins. Maybe they'll see your Darkside posting.

    I'm off to bed. This syrupy slowdown in my connection has effectively ended my browsing for the night.

    image

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    If that one really is 500 or so years old, and original that's one heck of a coin.
    If you put a hole in it, marcoven would really go nuts over it! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin, and I agree... very good condition for the age.... check it carefully.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Ya i posted it over there but it take 2 or 3 days for a answer over there. >>


    You asked the question and 1 1/2 hours later it was answered.

    DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

    CU #3245 B.N.A. #428


    Don
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes rec the info from the dark side this is what it is.

    Republic of Genoa, Italy, 1139 - 1339, In the Name of Conrad III
    Conrad III, founder of the Hohenstaufen dynasty, was never crowned Holy Roman Emperor, but styled himself "King of the Romans." In 1139 he granted Genoa the right to mint coins. An unsuccessful crusader, at the Battle of Dorylaeum he and most of the knights escaped, but most of the foot soldiers were killed or captured by the Seljuks. He fell ill and was sent to Constantinople to recuperate, where his host, Emperor Manuel, I acted as his personal physician. After recovering, Conrad sailed to Acre, and from there reached Jerusalem. After failed attacks on Damascus and Ascalon, Conrad returned to Germany.


    Thank you all.......


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>What an awesome giveawayimage


    Did I winimage >>

    No!!!!!!!!! Gota love her for trying.image


    Hoard the keys.
  • This content has been removed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file