Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any ideas on the overtons?

I picked up these two half dollars. Any ideas on the Overtons?

image

image
Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .
    looks like a pretty major die break on the rev of that 95!
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the 95 is O-122 while the 07 is 102.

    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭
    Does it pay to get the 1795 graded even though it looks cleaned and/or polished?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Does it pay to get the 1795 graded even though it looks cleaned and/or polished? >>



    Financially? Not in my opinion. On the other hand, from an esthetic point of view if the rest of your collection is slabbed then it might be better to slab it even in a details holder.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭
    Ok because i plan on selling this coin probably on ebay, and that Overton seems to be an R.5. So I wondered if it pays to get it graded so i can list the overton, but the coin definitely was cleaned.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are selling it on Ebay then slabbing it (even with a details label) would help to convince prospective buyers that it is genuine, but you can list the Overton number whether it is slabbed or not. Sellers do it daily. As for it being an R-5 die marriage there isn't as much of a premium attached to that rarity level in the Flowing Hair series as there would be in the Capped busts. There are a suffficient number even with the R-5s to satisfy the Overton collectors for the series.

    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An R-5 rating for a 1795 half dollar is no big deal. Most all of them are rated at least R-4, although they might be more common than that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what the R-rating is for the O-105 on the 1795 Half?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Can anyone tell me what the R-rating is for the O-105 on the 1795 Half? >>




    R4

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file