Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Birth Year set

habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever started or is anyone working on a WORLD wide Birthyear set?
Not just coins from the US, but all counties around the world.......

That could be a project, since some of the countries that were around in your birthyear
will not be around now..

Comments

  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing at all???
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Way too big a project for me.image
    Becky
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I know of a few folks doing that, and I think it's the way to go if one is going to do a birthyear set.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one monstrous task...but a fun project....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    No, I don't collect ancient coins!
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭


    << <i>No, I don't collect ancient coins! >>



    image
  • Options
    Fascinating idea!
    Regards,
    Dolan
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right up my alley.

    I'd probably die before finishing it. image

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I actually started a birth year set with coins from the entire world. My original idea was to
    get just one coin from every country. I still have the beginnings of the set, but I think I was
    no more than 5% complete when I changed interests. I really liked the coins from Africa
    that I bought -- many of those countries have changed names since the year I was born.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 966 ✭✭✭
    I've started it about 5 years ago and have about 24 coins from the US and around the world.

    I have an ebay alert for my birth years and the last year or so the same coins come up.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been working on different birthyear sets for many years now. Harry X., not sure of spelling of his last name, B. was called Mr. 1873. It wasn't his birthyear but, numismatically speaking, most agree it was a helluva year to collect. That is what gave me the idea about 50 years ago. It is a challenge. All "sides".
  • Options
    I am actually doing this. image The way I approached it was that any country that had an official mint or proof set listed in KM, I went after. Depending on your year, there was a lot of shenanigans going on in the world coin arena being dumped on U. S. collectors. There are many unofficial sets. And so far I have 44 out of 101 sets. Many of the missing sets are out of my reach now due to the price of gold. For my year, the gold proof set from Albania is $8400 spot price. Uganda is $11,200! Eeesh.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! what a goal. Imagine being born in 1936,the proof set is well over $7000. Expensive goal,good luck. and that's just one set,shhhhsh! That would be a beautiful goal in the end,if you can fulfill? -joey imageimage

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file