Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman coin giveaway DONE (winners: HiBucky, nicholasz219, Dockwalliper)

Done! The winners were:

HiBucky
nicholasz219
Dockwalliper

Hey, Litesiders! I told you not to click that link over there, but you couldn't help it, could you?

Welcome to The Dark Side. We have cookies. And coins that are WAY older and cooler and more beautiful than yours. (Not that yours are bad.) Since you fell for the mind trick, you might as well go get fitted for your Darkside stormtrooper costume, now that we have you.

Hey, Darksiders! Most of you already know what this is about.

Hey Metal Detector Forum Diggers! You're my peeps, so I gave you a link, too.

Hey, Cardboard People! I figured that little taunt over on the Non-Sports Card Forum might lure ONE of you over here. Now that ONE of you is here, I guess we've taken away a third of your collector base in one go, eh?

What? There are more than three of you? Oh. Sorry. We just lured away a sixth of your collector base, then. Ha. Put down the silly paper and cardboard and collect proper little round pieces of METAL, already!

Hey, History of England Podcast Listeners! Welcome to Collectors Universe. Disregard all that nonsense above. You're probably dazed and confused by all the blather and in-jokes and coin geek talk. No worries. You're here to enter a giveaway for a shot at a free Roman coin. No strings attached, but you do need to register and activate Private Messages in your profile so I can contact you if you win. Post once here to enter and if you would, tell us how you got here, a word or two about yourself, and why you might find an old coin or two interesting.

OK, what was I doing?

Oh yeah. The giveaway.

Look what some anonymous and kind soul just did for me.

What comes around goes around. It behooveth me to keep the Good Karma Train a-rollin', so here we are.

(Why is there a Cat Stevens song in my head all of a sudden? No, wait- that was the Peace Train. Eh, close enough.)

Anyhoo...

Who would like a free Roman coin?

Post ONE TIME to this thread to enter. Three random winners will be drawn on or shortly after St. Valentine's Day.

Now, since I had a mystery benefactor, there will also be an element of mystery to this giveaway as well.

I will preseal the envelopes so not even I will know who is getting which coin. If you're one of the three lucky winners, you'll get one of them. That's all we can predict. These are inexpensive coins but I like the desert patina on the two commemoratives, so I bought them, though I didn't really need them for my collection.

Now I know why I bought 'em... to give away! Call it kismet or destiny or whatever you like.

If they suck somebody else into our Darkside vortex, so much the better. (Mwahaha. You knew there had to be a secret agenda, right?)

OK, 'nuf blather. Here are the coins, and the descriptions from Imperator Coins & Antiquities, from whom I bought them.

<< <i>CONSTANTINOPLE COMMEMORATIVE AE3/4 330-335AD
Obverse: VRBS-ROMA: Helmeted bust of Roma left, wearing imperial mantle
Reverse: GLORI-A EXER-CITVS: Two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them
Mint: uncertian Minted: 330-335ad
Dia: 14.8 mm Wt: 1.8 gm Orient: 360�
Ref: RIC-157, Sear-3891
F-nVF Grade:
A attractive and scarce Constantinople issue. Nice detail and sandy patina, with scarce Glory of the Army reverse >>

<< <i>CONSTANTINOPLE COMMEMORATIVE AE3/4 330-340AD
Obverse: CONSTAN TINOPOLIS: Laureate, helmeted bust of Constantinopolis left, wearing necklace and ornamental mantle, holding sceptre over shoulder.
Reverse: NO LEGEND: Victory standing facing on prow, head left, resting left hand on shield, holding sceptre in right. Mintmark SCONST in ex. .
Mint: Arles Minted: 335AD
Dia: 18/17 mm Wt: 2.5 gm Orient: 12/ 6
Ref: RIC VII 393
Fine Grade:
A pleasing scarce AE issue from Arles. A bit off centered strike but nice detail and pleasing desert patina. >>

<< <i>CONSTANTIUS II AE 3/4, CAESAR 317-337AD
Obverse: FL IVL CONSTANTINVS NOB C: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: GLORIA EXERCITVS: Two Soldiers standing front, heads turned inward at one standard standing between them, each holding spear & shield, SMTSG in ex.
Mint: Thessalonica Minted: 336-337 AD
Dia: 17 mm Wt: 1.9gm Orient: 180�
Ref: RIC-224
F-nVF Grade:
A decent last year as Caesar issue of Constantius II. Well centered, with good overall detail. Some minor rough areas, but a solid example. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments