Can't help on this one but it's a nice design and a handsome medal image

But it looks like it might be of Russian origin image

Edited to add:

Here's ya go -

RUSSIAN COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL

In memory of French invasion of Russia 1812

"Liberation of Berlin"

Bronze

Representation of TSAR ALEXANDER I (1777-1825), the Emperor of the Russian Empire (1801-1825)

Obverse is medallist A. Klepikov signed
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice medal, I would buy that one if I saw it. Cheers, RickO
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know someone from Belarus who would also like it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about it but it sure is cool.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Napoleonic War?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    The medal commemorates the three-day Battle of Krasny. The obverse portrays Czar Alexander I
    in the guise of the ancient Russian hero Rodomysl. The reverse is an allegorical scene of the battle
    with lettering below indicating that the die was cut in 1834 by A. Lyalin from a design by Count Fedor
    Tolstoy. (Tolstoy was a famed Russian artist whose nickname was “the American.”) The medal is worth
    a few hundred dollars.

The battle was between the army of Napoleon and that of Alexander I during Napoleon’s invasion of
    Russia.

The medal is catalogued in Smirnov (1908) and Diakov (2008).
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The medal commemorates the three-day Battle of Krasny. The obverse portrays Czar Alexander I
    in the guise of the ancient Russian hero Rodomysl. The reverse is an allegorical scene of the battle
    with lettering below indicating that the die was cut in 1834 by A. Lyalin from a design by Count Fedor
    Tolstoy. (Tolstoy was a famed Russian artist whose nickname was �the American.�) The medal is worth
    a few hundred dollars.

The battle was between the army of Napoleon and that of Alexander I during Napoleon�s invasion of
    Russia.

The medal is catalogued in Smirnov (1908) and Diakov (2008). >>

I recognized Tolstoy's famous "Rodomysl" series design, but denga beat me to the description before I had a chance to check out my references.

Just a small correction - Rodomysl was an old Slavic pagan god. It was popular at that time to use elements of Roman history, but Tolstoy in his Rodomysl designs went back to the roots of Russian / Slavic mythology. Czar Alexander portrayed as Rodomysl was very patriotic, especially when you consider that both were wise and skilled diplomats, but who were not afraid to pick-up weapons when forced to defend their beliefs.

Neat medal image
  • Sweet piece. I'd make room for that one. image
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file