Home Metal Detecting
Options

I need some opinions, This is URGENT!!!

Hey guys,

It's been forever since I've posted here... My dad was talking during dinner tonight and he said he found what he believes to be a chunk of meteorite at work today. He works at an office and there's a long stretch of driveway and a small patch of grassy field, so im kind of ruling out the possibility of it just being a rock because of how it looks and how heavy it is. Anyway, I got some pix of it and I would really like sombodies opinion. We tested it with a magnet and it is magnetic, and it has this brown earthy dirt tone, and not only that, But you can see along the entire back of it where it looks like it was burnt up along with some burn areas on the face of it. I am attaching pix to this topic. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could give me input ASAP.

Comments

• Options
    Is there a railroad near that field? Almost looks like a piece of metal from when 2 sections of rail are welded together. This type of weld leaves a lot of chunks behind.

Of course it could be an actual space rock. I bet there must a forum somewhere about this type of thing
  • Options
    There is a railroad in the area, but not within distance of the office we work at.
  • Options
    To me, by your pics, which are great by the way, looks to be a legit meteorite. To be realy sure, you could take to the nearest university, and have them check it out. great find.
  • Options
    Thank you.

I have started looking up places to bring it, I just wanted to see if I could get a little bit of info so I didnt drive all the way to go meet somebody just to be disappointed.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I see that you live near the University of South Carolina. That is where I would go. They should be able to help you there. -Dan
  • Options
    Thank you for the tip. I wasnt sure where to start my search or would be best to take it. I will see what I can find out from them and update everybody.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics and all, hope it is the real deal.
    But...why the URGENT and ASAP stuff?
    Just askin'
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you might have a winner. I sent your pics to a friend that has done some ite hunting and he forwarded to another friend he called an experts and this is what he said.... "Well there is nothing visible that would disqualify it as a meteorite. Density good, magnetic good, no quartz or bubble holes good,,what looks to be thin weathered fusion crust good, the general rounded off shape good,, the body of the broken rock looks like it is the same as many stony ites. A positive for a nickel test would be the slam dunk."
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a hot rock to me given the pics and description. Hope it turns out to be a good payday.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Any news?
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    looks legit 2 me.

There is a member of these boards called meteoriteguy I think he buys/sells them. try to PM him
    magnetic indicates Iron. may from space are iron.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    There is a chance it could be a civil war artillery fragment....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any conclusions on this item??? Inquiring minds want to know......image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I think it's leftover slag from a UFO landing.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    It can't be a meteor fragment if there's never been a meteor landing (meteorite?) in the vicinity ... right? What I mean is, I doubt someone had it before your pops and buried it for safe keeping. I'd check the local library for any records of a meteor landing in the past couple centuries. My guess, even if the college does authenticate the rock, any potential buyers are gonna want to know where it came from (or at least when / how old it is) before they buy.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I wonder.
    The edge of the blacker part seems rather sharpish in the first photo. Like maybe a chrystal of hematite or magnetite. And the whitish flats.... are they mica? If so I'd guess this is from some type of pegmatite. Could still have value ( rare earths, nickle, chromium....) and is a very cool specimen in any case.
    Let us know please what you find out.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It can't be a meteor fragment if there's never been a meteor landing (meteorite?) in the vicinity ... right? What I mean is, I doubt someone had it before your pops and buried it for safe keeping. I'd check the local library for any records of a meteor landing in the past couple centuries. My guess, even if the college does authenticate the rock, any potential buyers are gonna want to know where it came from (or at least when / how old it is) before they buy. >>

Duh, it came from space.

bobimage

By the way, I was within a half mile of a meteorite that landed and was located (not by me though). I can tell you that
    if I had not been looking the the direction of it's decent, I would never have known it fell. No noise and not enough light
    to make a difference. It was about 5" across and sort of roundish.
    So, determining when it fell would be a real chore. It could have been last night at 3 a.m. and nobody around to see it.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    That's a real nice chunk!
  • Options
    Maybe it was from space. I mean maybe this guy is gone it was a disguised martian beacon and they beamed him up. I think it had a space virus and he has since turned into meat with eyes and can no longer type. image