Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps "Game" insert set - UPDATE - the complete Box set

Hi Everyone

Just came across another set that I haven't looked at in some time.

I think the 68T "game" inserts are one of the more popular of the 1960s inserts.

As you know - the set includes 33 cards measuring 2 1/4 x 3 1/4" - they were issued with the regular 1968 Topps wax packs and were very similar to the Red and Blue back sets both in design and purpose.

The set is anchored by a host of Hall of Famers and National Pastime legends that includes Mickey Mantle (#2), Carl Yastrzemski (#3), Hank Aaron (#4), Harmon Killebrew (#5), Roberto Clemente (#6), Frank Robinson (#7), Willie Mays (#8), Brooks Robinson (#9), Ron Santo (#19), Richie Allen (#23), Al Kaline (#27), Rod Carew (#29), Pete Rose (#30), and Joe Torre (#31).

As we also know - the cards were designed to be used as a "portable" card game - thus well "used" by kids in 1968. Fortunately - the set contained loads of stars and well worth saving but not that all popular back then IMO.

My set is - overall - about Exmt - very respectable - didn't pay much. Always thought about getting a better set when they were both plentiful and reasonable - but just never got around to it.

Also - Topps came out with a complete set in a box with the instructions on the back - this copy - on sale on ebay - is one of the nicest I've ever seen - if the actual cards were in better shape (many OCs) - I might consider the BIN - but 300 bucks is just way too steep for me. I would be picking it up - not for the cards - but rather the "game" for my collection.

Unfortunately I never played this game since I was - pretty much - out of cards back then - Vietnam was taking up all my time.

Anyone have any favorites? Nice copy?
Mike

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool set. I always like this mantle. Your mays looks very high end and better than ex-Mt like you say.
    Very nice
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Very cool set indeed, I was with a fellow board member at an auction over the summer in Maryland...

he scooped up this set with the box for less than $50...

it was a nice steal...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Mike, this is my FAVORITE insert set of all time. I put the set together back in 82-83 when I was 11. I believe I got the Mantle when my dad bought a small collection from a guy where he worked. I remember lookng at it and trying to figure out what it was and going through my beckett and finding it. I then spent the next year putting the set together by going to card shows on the weekends (remember when it was 3-4 a day). I would go up to each dealer and ask "do you have any 68 deckle inserts". They would look at me kinda odd like why would you want that and not the "newer stuff".

Anyway, when I saw your thread it brought me back 30 years to an awesome time of my childhood. My original set was stolen but have since put another one together.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool set indeed, I was with a fellow board member at an auction over the summer in Maryland...

he scooped up this set with the box for less than $50...

it was a nice steal... >>

Absolutely incredible!

A few weeks ago an empty box in rough condition went for almost 90 bucks!!!!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, this is my FAVORITE insert set of all time. I put the set together back in 82-83 when I was 11. I believe I got the Mantle when my dad bought a small collection from a guy where he worked. I remember lookng at it and trying to figure out what it was and going through my beckett and finding it. I then spent the next year putting the set together by going to card shows on the weekends (remember when it was 3-4 a day). I would go up to each dealer and ask "do you have any 68 deckle inserts". They would look at me kinda odd like why would you want that and not the "newer stuff".

Anyway, when I saw your thread it brought me back 30 years to an awesome time of my childhood. My original set was stolen but have since put another one together.

Mark >>

Hiya Mark

Thanx for sharing. I have flashbacks all the time - always good - fortunately.

That's what makes having a hobby fun and worth the time!
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi everyone - Happy Veteran's Day.

I'm off.

I just want to update this thread with a purchase on ebay last summer.

My main reason for the purchase was to have a "complete" game with box - the seller took off the BIN and put it up for auction - it went for about half the asking price.

The box is in superb shape - a big plus - and the instruction for the game are on the back.

The cards are mint/unused but very much OC. Otherwise, I'm sure they would've been broken up and sold separately.

Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Mike, and happy Veteran's Day!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    That's cool that you have the Game box for the cards. I though of buying the set at one time because of the HOF'ers but never pulled the trigger. The box included would be very tempting.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, never knew that you could buy the entire set in one box?? Thought it was through packs only.
  • Options
    Great box set. I bought one of those in the mid 80s. The good old days when there was a monthly card show at the Holiday Inn.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread, and cool boxed set Mike! Here are two I picked-up raw: the Clemente from a complete raw set and the Mantle from a local show. Thrilled they both came back 9s!

imageimage
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a complete set 2-3 months ago for $80. I got it at a card shop by Six Flags Texas, in the Arlington area. The Mantle is real nice and I couldn't resist. I am looking for a nice 65 embossed set too. My 68 poster set is complete, but I need a few upgrades of the minor stars. Those 9's are sweet, very clean!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome. I didn't know they sold them as boxed sets. You learn something new every day around here!