Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not complaining but I truly do not understand.......Buyer returned!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why this 1911, 2 1/2 dollar gold piece sold for so much (my listing). Stupid money.
Did I make a mistake in the listing?
bob
ebay
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. someone thinks it is a 62/63

2. someone taking a chance on a weak D ?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    maybe they grade it higher than you do?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought of those but it has had a light cleaning and I said that straight up front.

Go figure.

Probably get a return.

bobimage
  • Gift horse. Mouth. Do not look.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Hint of a D in the pictures.

Two bidders willing to pay over $578 in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

To me, it is a nice $275 coin.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hint of a D in the pictures. >>

Agree. There appears to be the ghost of a D mintmark.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I think someone is taking a gamble that it is a weak D. Having said that, if it turns out not to be a weak D, they did not lose too much. Kinda like buying a $150 worth of scratch off tickets. If they win, great, but if not, it will not hurt too bad.

• << <i>

Agree. There appears to be the ghost of a D mintmark. >>

Wishful thinking, IMO.
    I don't see even the hint of a D.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    On the 1911-D Weak D, the D is nearly impossible if not impossible to see. I have seen many "Strong D"s that were even pretty weak. If this were a Weak D, It would be worth $1500-1800, but it does not match any of the diagnostics that I know of.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duplicate post.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is at worst a super slider 58 but it could easily be several points higher from what I see. Doesn't look cleaned or wiped.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. There appears to be the ghost of a D mintmark. >>

Wishful thinking, IMO.
    I don't see even the hint of a D. >>

I don't see the other diagnostics (partial wire rim on the obverse, scallop marks at the top of the reverse) that go with the 1911-D either. Call it a "gift horse."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with roadrunner, I think it's nicer than how you described it; but all should be well as you got I think a closer-to-appropriate amount for it. image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought of those but it has had a light cleaning and I said that straight up front.

Go figure.

Probably get a return.

bobimage >>

I read: "Like all old coins this coin may have had a very, very light wipe back in the day." which, IMO, is different that "a light cleaning".

But, I guess you'll just have to wait and see what the buyer thinks.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 bids & $589 and it sold. no thanks
    Well it got returned today. No notice or communication, just shows up in the mail.

Perhaps this buyer is doing this to others. What a waste of my time.

bobimage
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block 'em.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Maybe he read your post !!!!!!!
    Yes, already blocked. Don't need his type of business.

bob
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it got returned today. No notice or communication, just shows up in the mail.

bobimage >>

Before I got to the end of this thread I said to myself "bet he returns it when he finds out it isn't a D". Welcome to Ebay, which is now nothing more than the world's largest approval service.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Block 'em. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well it got returned today. No notice or communication, just shows up in the mail.

bobimage >>

Before I got to the end of this thread I said to myself "bet he returns it when he finds out it isn't a D". Welcome to Ebay, which is now nothing more than the world's largest approval service. >>

Yup. At the price it sold for he didn't think it was a common date P mint coin.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a return policy in place.

better images may have prevented this.

having said that. returning a coin w/o notice is just lazy and somewhat rude imo

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Block 'em. >>

As always, Dennis says it best
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

bobimage >>

eBay sank to flea market status when it removed the opportunity to leave negative feedback on jerk buyers.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>eBay sank to flea market status when it removed the opportunity to leave negative feedback on jerk buyers. >>

There are no jerk buyers. Just jerk sellers- well, dealers- but still... image

• << <i>

bobimage >>

Before I got to the end of this thread I said to myself "bet he returns it when he finds out it isn't a D". Welcome to Ebay, which is now nothing more than the world's largest approval service. >>

+1
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    You knew up front the coin oversold, buyer realized the same and back it came. I do not even see much reason to block the guy.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You knew up front the coin oversold, buyer realized the same and back it came. I do not even see much reason to block the guy. >>

I was selling a 1916 Buffalo Nickel which seemed to bring higher than normal bids. There was some machine
    doubling on the date, and not wanting people to think it was the rare doubled die coin, I added a note to the
    description. Immediately got a nasty email from the high bidder who said he knew exactly what I was trying to
    do -- that I had not noticed the DDO and I was now trying to get people to retract their bids, he will report me
    to ebay for auction manipulation, blah blah. He ended up the winner at $110 for an XF then a week later filed a
    SNAD claim and left all 1's, which cost me several hundred dollars in 20% fee discounts for the next few months.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

<< <i>You knew up front the coin oversold, buyer realized the same and back it came. I do not even see much reason to block the guy. >>

Yes, I did know that he would be returning, most likely. However, I'm inclined to block him as I just do
    not need tire kickers. No communication was a problem as well. I take returns and have no problem
    refunding for legit reasons, or no reason (as in this case). I'll move along and just transfer funds from
    savings back into Paypal for the return. Bit of a hassle is all.

As you can see from my feedback I do not live on Ebay.

bobimage
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay=aggravation
    LCoopie = Les
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He just wanted to see it first hand hoping it was a weak mm or some other reason. Don't run an approval service - block him. Some buyers do this all the time hoping for a rare variety or unseen mm or an under graded coin-Happened to me already. This type of person will look at everything you got and send it back if he cannot make an immediate profit-not worth your time.

Bob
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why this 1911, 2 1/2 dollar gold piece sold for so much (my listing). Stupid money.
    Did I make a mistake in the listing?
    bob
    ebay >>

A few years ago I went to a local B&M to purchase some incuse gold. When I knocked on the door, I heard a voice like the Wizard of Oz come over a speaker asking what I wanted. I trembled like the scarecrow for a moment and managed to say "Incuse Gold". The voice over the intercom said, "We sell that for STUPID MONEY on eBay, go away ! ".
    I left, feeling dejected for not even being able to enter the store & never dreamt I would be buying a shop down the street, just a couple years later.

The only mistake I see is that the coin sold for "stupid money on eBay". Today's collectors are more sophisticated than this old neophyte/Neanderthal was when he came back into the game. Shoot , I hadn't even heard there was a site called PCGS.
    As to BLOCKING people on eBay, .... I'm not in the boat to BLOCK , per se.... Because I have to deal with that dealer on the same side of the counter and on the same block as me, today. The biggest difference is : I don't sell much gold or silver on eBay. They got the block. I truly understand and it's painful to give up all the profits when I am buying these items at "near sheet" prices and sometimes above, depending on the coin.

Don't block your buyers. They're the people who most likely will continue to support you if you have an "OPEN DOOR" policy.
    Signed,

Your friend in the coin world.

<< <i>

<< <i>eBay sank to flea market status when it removed the opportunity to leave negative feedback on jerk buyers. >>

There are no jerk buyers. Just jerk sellers- well, dealers- but still... image >>

Sellers brought this upon themselves. Before eBay changed the feedback rules it was standard procedure for sellers to leave a retaliatory neg for any buyer that left them a neg. Buyers were afraid to leave a neg even when it was well deserved by the seller and the feedback system became worthless. At least now the buyer is free to leave feedback without fear of getting neged and it is somewhat meaningful. I can certainly understand the frustration of sellers not being able to deal with jerk buyers but I'm not certain what changes can be made to the feedback system. Perhaps feedback can be hidden until after both parties left their feedback. After a 30 day period, if only one party has left their feedback, it would be shown and the party that didn't leave any feedback would no longer be able to do so.

• << <i>Perhaps feedback can be hidden until after both parties left their feedback. After a 30 day period, if only one party has left their feedback, it would be shown and the party that didn't leave any feedback would no longer be able to do so. >>

+1
    I like that idea
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Everyone has a different idea of what deserves a negative on ebay. I have 3 ebay accounts with about 10k in feedback numbers. I have left 2 negs because of getting negs.

As a buyer i never left a neg feedback even when deserved since i was generally taken care of by ebay or paypal. I never put much value on a negative feedback as long as the seller does not have a lot of them. 1 negative per 1000 transactions would not cause me to raise an eyebrow. Anyone can encounter a difficult buyer from time to time.

I have only blocked 2 ebayers, i have sold to many ebayers with 10 of fewer feedbacks. IMO the ebayers with 10 and under feedbacks are the problem buyers but everyone has to start somewhere.

I do not generally leave feedback anymore and get irratated when sellers ask for it. I have used the rating star system and been thruthful imo and got nasty emails from sellers.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't block your buyers. They're the people who most likely will continue to support you if you have an "OPEN DOOR" policy.

I don't consider tire kickers and time wasters buyers, so I'll gladly block them. I don't want or need that type of "support". If someone else who places no value on their time or investment wants to deal with them then they can gladly have my share of such "buyers".

I do not generally leave feedback anymore and get irratated when sellers ask for it. I have used the rating star system and been thruthful(sic) imo and got nasty emails from sellers.

So it irritates you when someone asks for feedback but you can't undertand how a seller would get irritated when you cost them money in fees by dinging their DSRs?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Did you offer it to the back bidder?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a lot more cars to tire kickers on the lot than the ones I kicked off the lot. On the other side, there's only so much abuse a person should tolerate before he realizes the deck is stacked against him. And for sellers, there aren't a lot of choices but to serve as best we can.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>eBay sank to flea market status when it removed the opportunity to leave negative feedback on jerk buyers. >>

There are no jerk buyers. Just jerk sellers- well, dealers- but still... image >>

"BURN THE SELLERS! THEY'RE WITCHES!!!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Returns:
    14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read details
    This is your return policy and buyer took advantage of it so if it displeases you change it.

• << <i>Returns:
    14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read details
    This is your return policy and buyer took advantage of it so if it displeases you change it. >>

• bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Bob,Because sometimes you are too much full disclosure?Or probably he didnt read the light cleaning part the first time.Just an educated guess.You definitely one of the good guys!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Answer is a 10% restocking fee. This buyer thought there might be a very faint D and took a free look
    (ex return shipping). Without no D the coin was worth maybe $300.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file