Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II," now available. *UPDATED*

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
From our dear friend, RWB.

Direct Link to the Book! It is now available!!!

The new research book Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II has been printed and delivered to Wizard Coin Supply. The press run was small which translated to a higher price than I’d like – but I saw no potential for collectors buying 5,000 copies. It is 8x11.5, color, soft cover, 190 pages, very heavy glossy paper. Hundreds of detailed photos, and lots of newly discovered varieties.

See the Money Market place for purchasing information.

This is not only groundbreaking research, but Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II could possibly be the most important contribution of new knowledge to American numismatics of this decade.

Beginning as early as 1940 the US Mint Bureau was under pressure to reduce or eliminate use of certain metals including copper, tin and nickel. From 1941 through 1944, the US Mint conducted multiple experiments to determine the best compositions for the one cent and five cent coins. Sporadic records were kept of the tests and most of the sample examinations were mostly “seat of the pants” than science.

The largest number of tests occurred from May to December 1942 when the mint experimented with metal alloys and private companies, with mint approval, experimented with alternative materials and production methods. Most experiments were failures, but the final outcomes were the zinc coated steel clad composition used in 1943 for cents, and an unstable alloy of silver, manganese and copper for the five cent coin.

Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II follows the development and conduct of these experiments from optimistic hopes to eventual return to conventional coinage alloys. Every company and individual knows to have participated is identified along with the role and contributions to the work. Every experimental and pattern piece is identified and cataloged with as much objective information as could be located. Large color photos allow collectors to compare items in their collections with real coins, not faulty catalog descriptions or guesses.

[L=
http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product.php?productid=3671&cat=113&page=1">http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product.php?productid=3671&cat=113&page=1[/L
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Wow this is awesome!
    Never knew these existed...
    Do these specimens every come up for sale? How much do they usually sell for?

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow this is awesome!
    Do these specimens every come up for sale? How much do they usually sell for? >>

There is a forum member here that has quite a hoard of them, he might chime in.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow this is awesome!
    Do these specimens every come up for sale? How much do they usually sell for? >>

There is a forum member here that has quite a hoard of them, he might chime in. >>

Hope so!
    I don't know how I've never heard of this...I'm a huge ww2 buff and my 2 areas of collecting are ww2 and coins...never combined the 2 except for the typical ww2 numismatic stuff
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that 1942 cent thermoset? This looks like an excellent read.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    whats the coin underneath the war nick?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Darn it, Roger, you really make the rest of us work hard
    to compete for a Numismatic Literary Guild "Book of the
    Year" award.

But seriously, congrats and kudos to one of the shining
    lights in modern numismatic research.

<< <i>Darn it, Roger, you really make the rest of us work hard
    to compete for a Numismatic Literary Guild "Book of the
    Year" award.

But seriously, congrats and kudos to one of the shining
    lights in modern numismatic research. >>

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    link doesnt appear to be working?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keyman64:

Do you have a link to the book itself? The "pattern" link shows 3 other books but not RWB's book. image
    Mark

• valente151valente151 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

<< <i>keyman64:

Do you have a link to the book itself? The "pattern" link shows 3 other books but not RWB's book. image >>

+1.

I'm looking into the link issue... image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow this is awesome! Never knew these existed... Do these specimens every come up for sale? How much do they usually sell for? >>

I have had a long standing thread about these 1942 patterns right here. Keep in mind that much of what has been stated in the thread will be revised as per Roger's book.

Link to 1942 cent pattern thread
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    It seems it was thought that the book had hit the Wizard website but that was not the case. Maybe tomorrow?

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow this is awesome! Never knew these existed... Do these specimens every come up for sale? How much do they usually sell for? >>

I have had a long standing thread about these 1942 patterns right here. Keep in mind that much of what has been stated in the thread will be revised as per Roger's book.

Link to 1942 cent pattern thread >>

Thanks for that link! And great article
    Don't know what happened to my original post but I can't edit it...it's broken. image

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product.php?productid=3671&cat=113&page=1
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keyman64:

Thanks so much. I just ordered it!
    Mark

<< <i>keyman64:

Thanks so much. I just ordered it! >>

EXCELLENT! image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!

Now we have to get Wayne Herndon to teach his webmaster how to spell Experimental!!!!

LOL
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if it will be offered in electronic form? I am trying to cut down on the bulk of my book collection, and may go digital...
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought a copy. It's out of my main focus (18th to mid-19th century US), but looks quite interesting. I am looking forward to reading it.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
    There are no plans for an electronic version.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Just bought a copy to help Roger in his declining years.image
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image

<< <i>Just bought a copy to help Roger in his declining years.image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file