Home U.S. Coin Forum

Radioactive Reconsideration! - Updated with Phil's TrueView - Thanks Phil!

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, hearing about this service, I only had one coin in mind to send them. I have to admit, as much as I liked the OGH, I think I'll like the new holder even better image

My old in-slab photos:

And by the way, FYI, the process was interesting. After they processed my order, the coin cert was placed in limbo, and the coin disappeared from my inventory. In fact, I don't think it's even in the system yet.

Also, I got a "No Grade Available" as a result this morning. I called, and they told me that they needed to collect a guarantee premium before they could release the grade. $55.

Needless to say, I was Johnny-on-the-spot with a credit card.

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice coin and now worth $5500! image

I have recently reconsidered my position on the Reconsideration submission and plan to send some OGHs in the first quarter of this year.

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the old grade?
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big congratulations Matt! Was it in a 66 or 66+ holder before?
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    So I guess PCGS is going to hold your coins hostage until you pay what they say? Better be glad it didn't update to a 69 or something. Something is just not right here what that.

• I can't get the linkimage But I get the drift, good for you, that is a pretty coin!!!
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Why can't I fix the darn link in my original message???

Oh well. It was a 66BN before, and FWIW, it had a green bean on it before I peeled it off. image

Edited to add: Something's wrong with my linking tool image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wowzah!! So that means CAC green beans could give you a upgrade from PCGS!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having been the caretaker of that coin for a year, giving Matt a short vacation, I can vouch for the worthiness of this coin receiving a grade of 67.

Most of the good colors are hidden from slab glare, but Matt's photo is pretty close.
    The TrueView should be very revealing.....I for one can't wait.

Congratulations Matt. Finally, the grade it deserves.

BTW, even though the guide says $5500, it has been worth more than that for years.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Matt! Gorgeous Lincoln.

BTW, did you insure it when you mailed it? For how much? image
    Lance.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful coin.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great coin. it's beautiful.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I thought you had to pay 1% on the new value vs old, not its total value.
    Thats sure is a beautiful coin image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought you had to pay 1% on the new value vs old, not its total value.
    Thats sure is a beautiful coin image >>

That would make more sense to me too. But the 1% fee is on its new, total value.
    Lance.
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the upgrade!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrumptious coin image

<< <i>BTW the 1c is gorgeous, but is was just as goreous when the older holder said BR66 and th eop always felt it was undergraded by a point.
    I recently purchased an entire colelction in older holders, many of the coins were undergraded, so I paid the true value, the higher grade to buy it ie I ignored the grade on the holder and went by what I and the seller believed keeping them in the older holders. Needless to say I am very happy buying gorgeous coins for the price it should be based on the grade it should be and ignoring what is on the holder. >>

YMMV
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As this service takes hold, the value of old holder coins will start to fall as it will be assumed they were already in for reconsideration
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As this service takes hold, the value of old holder coins will start to fall as it will be assumed they were already in for reconsideration >>

It is a brilliant anti-CAC strategy, too. In the same way that expensive NGC coins are felt to have failed to cross (see thread on 1909-O $5 NGC MS-65) and unstickered slabs are stigmatized for being such, old holders risk being labelled as the coins that failed to upgrade. Instead of paying $10 or $12 for a sticker and leaving the coin in the OGH there is a carrot and stick approach that favors reconsidering.

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting - congrats! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting - congrats! image >>

Yes and a beauty..............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be curious to see if this gets a sticker at CAC with the new grade.
    I'm assuming the cert number changes, correct?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • I prefer copper in OGHs, because of the metal's very reactive surfaces. When buying a coin in an OGH, one knows that the coin's surfaces are stable and won't look different in two years (assuming the piece is properly stored).

I believe that a collector is on really solid ground by buying a coin in an OGH, assuming that the coin is nice for the grade and that the price is reasonable. Furthermore, I have no plans to send in my numerous OGHs for Regrading or Reconsideration.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be curious to see if this gets a sticker at CAC with the new grade.
    I'm assuming the cert number changes, correct? >>

I'm sure it will. My 1916 made the same upgrade and stickered green both times.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I will be curious to see if this gets a sticker at CAC with the new grade.

I'm sure it will. My 1916 made the same upgrade and stickered green both times. >>

"Consistency, consistency, my kingdom for consistency!" imageimage
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW the 1c is gorgeous, but is was just as goreous when the older holder said BR66 and th eop always felt it was undergraded by a point.
    I recently purchased an entire colelction in older holders, many of the coins were undergraded, so I paid the true value, the higher grade to buy it ie I ignored the grade on the holder and went by what I and the seller believed keeping them in the older holders. Needless to say I am very happy buying gorgeous coins for the price it should be based on the grade it should be and ignoring what is on the holder. >>

Then why even bother to buy graded coins? Just buy them raw & keep'em raw . . .

Edited to add: That is one stunning coin ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cert number actually stayed the same!

<< <i>"Consistency, consistency, my kingdom for consistency!" >>

And for consistency's sake, I have abstained from CAC and their approval process. Personally, I feel that my standards (for a coin being in MY collection) are much higher, especially having seen what passes the muster for CAC green in the copper arena. Of course, if I ever sell, I may cave to market pressures and send them all in. Even so, I think that those bidding on or buying my coins will recognize them for what they are, sticker or no.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool that you get to keep the same old cert number.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, I got a "No Grade Available" as a result this morning. I called, and they told me that they needed to collect a guarantee premium before they could release the grade. $55.

Needless to say, I was Johnny-on-the-spot with a credit card. >>

Is this "guarantee premium" part of the reconsideration service?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As this service takes hold, the value of old holder coins will start to fall as it will be assumed they were already in for reconsideration >>

If they get really cheap, I'll be buying them. Remember, PCGS is still trying to grade that coin through a plastic barrier, and it has to jump a whole point, unless you are sending in a + graded coin already.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would find it valuable if they mentioned the previous holder type in the cert verification page to answer the concerns about how long it's been not messed with.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! ... but what a shame to lose that OGH, especially with toned copper!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin and nice price to boot.image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file