Home U.S. Coin Forum

Enough Here to Tell what year this Large cent is ?

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't know if there is enough there, but i'll guess 1815

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭
    1794?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not from what I can see. There is not even enough to tell it has the style I or style II (extra curl at the neck) hair. Perhaps someone who is great at doing Sheldon varieties could pin it down, but I need more than what is here. I have attributed dateless pieces by Sheldon variety, but this one is too far gone for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1794? >>

I think I can safely eliminate that date as an option....along with '93, '95, and all large cents minted after 1807.
    But I'm guessing that doesn't really help the OP image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭
    This is either a 1796 or 1797 (maybe 1798 as well, but doubtful). I do not have my book in front of me but know you can get a variety out of it. 1799 and on is out.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Amazing! How can you tell?

<< <i>Amazing! How can you tell? >>

On the reverse, look at where the T in CENT touches the leaves. Also look at the shape of the bow below CENT and the length of the fraction bar in 1/100. The spacing in LIBERTY and a few other features help as well. If I had my copy of Early Amercan Cents with me I'm fairly sure I could determine the date. I guessed 1794 just to keep the thread on the front page.

Reviewing my variety book, it's definitely not 93, 94, 95. It also does not appear to be 96. 97 and 98 look probable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file