Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Did you hear about the famous 1916 penny that is worth a fortune???"

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
My wife who has been around coins a long time could not wait to tell me the latest news she had read and also heard on the radio.

She stated to me if I had heard about the 1916 penny and then stated the title quote.

I said, "the 1916 penny?"

She said, " yes"

I then commented "hmmm, a penny, meaning a British penny?"

She then said " oh, I don't know about British or whatever, but it was was a 1916 penny."

I then retorted, "1916? I have lots of those British or US, they are not that valuable"

"oh yes, it is, they said it was lost for many years and they found it just a while ago."

My dim light bulb finally turns on and replied, "no, that was a 1913 NICKEL, not a penny."

She then looked at me sharply and said, "no, I am sure it was a 1916 penny, I heard it on the radio as well."

She then lectured me, "maybe you don't know the story about the penny and maybe you should read about it, It is worth up to 2 million dollars!"

I then told her the whole story about the 1913 nickel and how I went to Baltimore in 2003 to see the missing nickel and how There was a reward to see this missing nickel and all. I said "by the way, it is probably worth closer to 3 million or so"

The sad part was she was not totally convinced by my recalling how I lived through that history of seeing the coin in Baltimore and how it was on display through the ANA for the last 10 years.

Maybe she is the expert and I know nothing?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville.......you have to learn, women are always right.......even when we are wrong we are always rightimage

I sure wish men would learn this much quicker, it would save you guys a bunch of timeimageimageimage

Great story, I can actually picture this conversationimage

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭
    I nod and say, "OK"
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard a comedian from Canada once say :

"There are only 4 words a man needs to say to keep woman happy"

1) "Oh"( as if you're surprised to learn)
    2) "Yeah" (as if you've just discovered)
    3) "Right" (as if to say , "how stupid of me" ), &
    4) "Sorry" (like it's never going to happen again )

Maybe I learn how to say those words, next time.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that people come into coin shops both that wrong and that sure they are right, and you are obviously an idiot for disagreeing with them!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run into those kind of people all the time. Just can't seem to convince them, so I just give up and tell them they're right.image
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    At least she was trying. A lot of spouses don't.
    Becky
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe she is the expert and I know nothing? >>

Ahhhh!!! In all things, no less. The key to a long and happy marriage!!! image
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭
    Be careful, oreville. She may be calling the kitchen remodelers now!!!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't imagine my wife and I arguing about a coin unless she found out what I paid for it.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    find out the name of that radio station!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Be careful, oreville. She may be calling the kitchen remodelers now!!! >>

Are you referring to RYK? Or was it Longacre?
    Paul
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've learned that when it comes
    to relationships with the opposite
    sex..........

You can be Right,
    or
    You can be Happy

(ya can't be both)
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    The correct response is "Yes, Dear!"

Repeat as necessary.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I think she is talking about the 1916 Lincoln cent that was just rediscovered with the memorial reverse.

It was lost all this time and when a certain president was looking through his childhood collection he found it.
    It was in a old blue Whitman folder. The coin has a wood grain look to it.

Also found was a peace dollar dated 1920 in high relief but it had the eagle from a Morgan dollar on the reverse. Oddly enough it has doubled lips (hot lips).

The 3rd and last coin found was a 1934 20.00 saint. Go figure, just when I thought I had seen it all.

Just kidding of corse.
    Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
    No, it was the 1917 "Kissing Lincoln" variety!!!!!

google it!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It's great when wives or husbands show an interest in their spouses hobby. So even if they get it wrong it is still cute.

ps. better make sure the toilet seat is down.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The correct response is "Yes, Dear!"

Repeat as necessary. >>

Test for relationship health as related by a very knowledgeable family therapist, who advises waiting until after 4-6 sessions.

1) Seat the couple about 3 feet apart.
    2) have each address the other saying "My way is better."
    3) If both are not laughing within 45 seconds the odds are against...

Perhaps the answer to the relaionship's health can also be illustrated by the answer to the question
    "If you're out in the forest and say something stupid, and your wife can't hear you, are you still wrong?"

Oy ! image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope Oreville isn't responding to us from the couch
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!

Some of those folks on the radio are pretty messed up if not outright dangerous!
    It's possible she was passing along the information just as she had heard it.... Don't believe everything you read or hear!

But if it's coming from our wives.......... Great advice given above to let it slide!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to tell when your wife is right in an argument. It's when she knows she's right. Or it's on any day that ends in "day". Or when you're still breathing.
  • I believe the correct responce would be "yes my love". Say this a lot and everything will be fine. Works for me.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville:

If you're in the woods by yourself and say anything, you're still wrong! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

<< <i>Great story!

Some of those folks on the radio are pretty messed up if not outright dangerous!
    It's possible she was passing along the information just as she had heard it.... Don't believe everything you read or hear!

More like don't believe ANYTHING you read or hear unless it has been tested out to your satisfaction. It is not just radio guys that could be dangerous.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Right or wrong, you're wrong!"

When I tell me wife she is being too negative she always replies "No I'm not." Pause. Then we laugh.
    Lance.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just nod your head and say " yes dear " and keep going and be happy image
    Question I have is it more loving and respectful to correct a mistake or to just let him/her continue in error? I would say the former but am not sure credit would be given.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Of course darling "
    Works for me most of the time.

Except when she is asking me a question and then realizes I wasn't even trying to listen.... image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • My wife and I had a discussion about my dental insurance. She said "A" and I said "B". It was quite heated. After returning from the dentist, she looked me in the eye and said, "You were right.". I Immediately circled that date on my calendar. We celebrate it every year.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
    Can't remember who it was that said:

"If ever after an argument it is determined that you are absolutely right and she is absolutely wrong, apologize immediately!"

Might have been Robert Heinlein

• << <i>I heard a comedian from Canada once say :

"There are only 4 words a man needs to say to keep woman happy"

1) "Oh"( as if you're surprised to learn)
    2) "Yeah" (as if you've just discovered)
    3) "Right" (as if to say , "how stupid of me" ), &
    4) "Sorry" (like it's never going to happen again )

Maybe I learn how to say those words, next time. >>

That is the most perfect thing I have ever heard. Great Advice!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call my wife Agent 98 after Barbara Feldman Agent 99 in Get Smart.

However, the 98 refers to a percentage!!

Leaving the office now and going to the gym!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife and I had a discussion about my dental insurance. She said "A" and I said "B". It was quite heated. After returning from the dentist, she looked me in the eye and said, "You were right.". I Immediately circled that date on my calendar. We celebrate it every year. >>

LOL - After 17 years, I am still waiting for my wife to say those words.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    For Valentines day you can give her that rare 1916 penny.

Ed
  • Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    FOR SALE

Brand new set of Encyclopedia Britannica,.
    No longer needed,wife knows everything.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 rings of marriage:

1. Engagement Ring
    2. Wedding Ring
    3. Suffering
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    <Mars> ... >Venus<
    >Mars< ... <Venus>

Can't do without them but sometimes I wonder if we're the same species.

Definitely from different planets! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oreville.......you have to learn, women are always right.......even when we are wrong we are always rightimage

I sure wish men would learn this much quicker, it would save you guys a bunch of timeimageimageimage

Great story, I can actually picture this conversationimage >>

I got a kick outta that one!!image Great story too...CHD
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there really were some 1916 Lincoln Cents struck in experimental alloys. They are currently unknown to exist, as far as I know.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin would fit very well in a 7070 with the gold 1901 5c described in another current thread.image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file