Home Precious Metals
Options

SAE Monstor Box group buy - workable?

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
If you have a group of like minded (mostly) educated professionals with a common interest,
the power of the group can pay bottom line dividends to the group.

I am not trying to arrange an SAE MB buy here rather than trying to figure out/discuss the method
that such a buy could consistently take place as to pay off for its members.

We know that trust, communication and mailing efficiency are paramount.

So if we consider a the best way to squeeze every penny to bottom line we would determine
that someone could lock in a dip like today with a check purchase @APMEX.

Wire cost are typically $25 and a check arrives in 2 days and is "free" so as long as the price is locked,
the extra wait is meaningless (to me anyway, others may differ).

Some key points as I see them.

1. No paypal. The gift option bothers people and the designated captain would have to deal with $20,000 Paypal limit issues either way.
2. There are many long time board members who buy one or two rolls consistently via APMEX etc. (no volume discount, high shipping adds $20 to $30 per roll in costs)
3. Trust. The designated captain pulls the trigger on agreed dip and the checks from stake holders follow. Plenty of time to get checks in and deposited.
4. The buy gets exponentially easier is stake holders buy 2 or more rolls. 25 slots to fill! (as an example, I would would take 3-4 rolls depending on spot price lock)
5. Checks would be most cost effective. Does this kill the effort? Is it too much trouble? Seems easy to scratch a check and mail it, others may differ.

What say you? Why do long time board members with provable histories both here and on eBay not pull resources to get much better roll prices than the individual.

Are there financial implications to the captain. Not someone bouncing a check?

Again, not organizing a buy right here only sorting out the probability logistics and demand.

Even after the cost to ship your roll priority-insured you net $20 per roll in savings.

Each time I go to purchase rolls I ask myself why I am not getting with others to get the product cheaper.

Worth it?

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stackers tend to be lone wolves, intensely private, and , if not a little paranoid, then "very cautious". They also tend to like variety in their coin collections.

All these things will work against an organized buy (one was operated for a few years ago on the BST, but fizzled out the past 2 years in a row..)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bgmanbgman Posts: 473 ✭✭
    I actually handled a group buy here in 2005. I think silver was around $6.50. I can't remember what premium I had to pay per coin, but I think it was around $1.50. I ordered two boxes from Tulving and everyone paid upfront. I sold the rolls for $180 each and charged the Paypal fees if they wanted to pay thru Paypal. I think I spent about 10 hours boxing, addressing, and shipping the rolls. After it was all said and done I think I made like $25. I have thought about doing it again, but it is a lot harder to do today simply because of the wholesale cost and the 1099 thru Paypal.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stackers tend to be lone wolves, intensely private, and , if not a little paranoid, then "very cautious". They also tend to like variety in their coin collections.

All these things will work against an organized buy (one was operated for a few years ago on the BST, but fizzled out the past 2 years in a row..) >>

10 4 with the above comment. BTW, I have never paid more than $10 in s&h fee with APMEX. If you purchase regularly from them, you'll become a Platinum member and one of the perks is .. $10 s&h max fee. I've always purchased a few rolls every year from either or both APMEX or Provident...whoever offers the lowest premium, gets my attention. I'm familiar with them and have had no problems in obtaining what I've ordered. From past BST posts on similar deals that you've proposed, some have gone sour. I for one, would not be interested.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all of the reasons that a single ASE commands a premium - the distribution costs matter. For me, the issue isn't price so much as it is convenience and the timing of my available income stream. When I'm ready to buy, others may not be, and vice-versa.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy the box and then sell the coins.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    There was a thread about just this on the US coin BST forum about a month ago. He never got any takers.....I don't buy the rolls anymore, but I did buy one of those rolls from bgman.image
    Becky
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    yep, seems DOA.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These are all of the reasons that a single ASE commands a premium - the distribution costs matter. For me, the issue isn't price so much as it is convenience and the timing of my available income stream. When I'm ready to buy, others may not be, and vice-versa. >>

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.