Home Precious Metals

Golden gifts

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
I'm leading an outdoors hike to a famous pirate hangout tomorrow. Seriously.

Last time I gave away silver granuals to the 20 or so attendees. Sometimes I seed the
destination area with painted driveway gravel. This time, I'm here filling tiny half inch
bags with gold leaf. I'm expecting 30+ tomorrow. Glad the weather broke

I'll be showing them ASEs, mexican coins, bars.

One light hearted way to introduce PMs and I get to talk about them a wee bit.
COA

Comments

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you able to say what State?
    Is this an area that has an interesting history, I'd love to hear a some of the story behind your hike, you've wet my appetite.

I know it's silly, but I still hang on to a little lust for pirate treasure. It goes back to the days when I was a kid, always reading stories like Treasure Island.

JC

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny, those are pretty darned fabulous!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gold coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Wow, very nice.

This is in the New Jersey Pinelands, at the confluence of the Mullica and Batsto rivers in southern NJ. It is across the highway from Batsto Village, where we walk a couple of miles in between the Mullican and Batsto rivers until they come together. At the end was the Van Sants shipyard, of the Revolutionary era. It is said the British Ships would come up the Mullica river, but could not make it very far. The "Pirates" would attack the british ships in this vunerable area, bring the ships upriver, take their contents and even bury the loot and treasure in this area. Pirates being who they are likely attacked anyone or boat they could for that matter. Hey, "Pirate!" These rivers today are some of the best known paddling cedar/tanic rivers on the east coast for kayaking and canoeing. But this small spit of few mile square land does not have any official trails, just 4wheel access roads and it not used much. There are some old semi dried loops where the Mullica river would twist through this area, but now dry with little water and they form high spots surrounded by muck, and only seen as a trace via something like google earth maps. This is where I believe some treasure was buried. Note that Metal Detecting and digging are prohibited on this historic state park area.

So this is one of my many hikes. Today we had 25 souls go on this six mile journey in the 33deg weather, with snow dusted ice road puddles, and cold shaded areas. We visited what was old roads and long gone wooden bridges and several views of the "Forks" confluence. Where folks would find my seeded chunks of gold (gold painted driveway gravel) along the river edges, and during the halfway point I handed out small bags of Gold Leaf informing them that it was real gold. A mere few bucks of gold leaf can make 50 of these small samples. Last months pirate hike I gave out silver granuals. Of course I showed them some ASE's and 10oz gold bars to enlighten them and get them thinking.

For a group of mostly 40+ on up individuals it was fun, and we had a huge tailgate party afterwards at the picnic grounds in the cold where we talked about fiat, national debt, and retirement... Well, at least I was.... I've done the same thing with some girl scouts and its fun watching them get excited on the way in, and moaning when we all have to walk back out. lol. I would run a trip for more 20-30+ year olds, but hey, they wouldn't go! hah

In the nearby visitor center there is some ship ruins, cannon balls, and coinage on display. Some is pirate booty, but not as nice as that shown below.
    COA
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good time, especially the after party and conversation.
    Too bad there's no MDing, but I understand with it knowing the area has historical significance.