Home Precious Metals
Options

solutions to moisture when burying pms?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Shrink wrap with the kitchen seal-a-meal tool. Maybe even a small moisture absorber as well.
Most containers still will have air in them which condenses with weather changes, so maybe vacumn sealing the items first,
then in a water tight container.
COA

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Haven't solved that problem just yet. Problem with shrinkwrap and sealant tape or even wax sealing is that everytime you have to get back in there, you have to redo the whole thing. My latest effort has involved using multiple, sealable bags for the deposit into the chamber and then using plumbers tape to seal the pipe. Haven't been back in there for a while so I'm not sure how I did.

Doesn't seem like you can possibly put enough dessicant in there to take care of atmospheric condensation from the humidity in the air in the chamber and I'm sure there is some incidental leakage into the equipment as well. On the other hand, everytime you go midnight gardening, you get better at sealing and getting in and out gets easier so at some point, things will evolve but nothing of note for the gardening crowd; I'm hopeful.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does moisture actually have a negative affect on precious metals? Didn't seem to degrade them the centuries they spent in the ground before being mined? Even treasuries recovered after many years in the salt waters of the world's oceans seem to have suffered no ill affect.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrr Mateys! My investment strategy is the same as for a 17th century pirate's loot! Shibber me timbers!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Can't do it when the ground is frozen solid image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMs are in part PMs because they are inert, or mostly so. Under just about any conditions I can think of, gold is virtually impervious to environment. Silver may tarnish a little but is largely unaffected by environment as well.

If you've got paper COAs, receipts, packaging, etc., then you're out of luck. And if you're worried about milk spots on proof pieces, that's a different story.

But silver, gold, and platinum family metals are stable and wont' suffer from moisture. It's one of the things that made them desirable and valuable in the first place.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm....time to put my metal detectors to good use....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmm....time to put my metal detectors to good use....image Cheers, RickO >>

image you know I've been living in my house for six years and I still haven't gone over my yards ... never know!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Some unique features of my Night Gardening is accessible digging even in the winter cold. However evidence with snow access is a problem to avoid.
    The hot summer creatures would take their toll on you. A friend in the service told me the place to hide from the enemy is the most hostile and inaccessible
    area such as in a swamp thorn thicket or buggy or dangerous place. I'll try for the best.

I was wondering how the elements would actually affect silver coins or bars so I'll just bury a few as in 6 inches in the back yard.
    Nice use of a birthday or santa bar.

My shoddy job on the pipe dope glueing needed some help in caulking and the duct tape idea is a great one too. Thank you.
    Other means of protection is also provided by Brass. Lots a Brass.

Like anything else, retirement investments require some work, careful planning, and no third-party storage....
    COA