Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

10 Most Famous Baseball Players Of All Time

The Musial thread got me thinking... image

We've discussed who the best baseball players are/should be... let's discuss who the most FAMOUS baseball players are (not my list):

1. Babe Ruth
2. Hank Aaron
3. Pete Rose
4. Ty Cobb
5. Reggie Jackson
6. Nolan Ryan
7. Lou Gehrig
8. Joe DiMaggio
9. Ted Williams
10. Mickey Mantle

To be the MOST famous, I suspect a baseball player would have been around for at least 40-50 years and is known to several generations.

Some of my honorable mentions:

Roberto Clemente
Joe Jackson
Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    I'd take out Ryan and Reggie and add Robinson and Clemente.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    In terms of pure "famousness" I think my choices would be:

Hank Aaron
    Ty Cobb
    Joe Dimaggio
    Joe Jackson
    Mickey Mantle
    Willie Mays
    Jackie Robinson
    Babe Ruth
    Ted Williams
    Cy Young

Dave
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>In terms of pure "famousness" I think my choices would be:

Hank Aaron
    Ty Cobb
    Joe Dimaggio
    Joe Jackson
    Mickey Mantle
    Willie Mays
    Jackie Robinson
    Babe Ruth
    Ted Williams
    Cy Young >>

Okay, Pete Rose has to be in there somewhere?
  • Options

<< <i>I'd take out Ryan and Reggie and add Robinson and Clemente. >>

That sounds about right... can't believe Willie Mays isn't in the Top 10!?
  • Options
    If you're just referring to household names, no way do you leave off Jackie, Mays and Rose.
  • Options
    I think this would be my Top 10:

Hank Aaron ***** 1954 TOPPS HANK AARON
    Roberto Clemente ***** 1955 TOPPS ROBERTO CLEMENTE
    Ty Cobb ***** 1911 T205 GOLD BORDER TY COBB
    Joe DiMaggio ***** 1941 PLAY BALL JOE DIMAGGIO
    Lou Gehrig ***** 1934 GOUDEY LOU GEHRIG
    Joe Jackson ***** 1915 CRACKER JACK SHOELESS JOE JACKSON
    Mickey Mantle ***** 1952 TOPPS MICKEY MANTLE
    Willie Mays ***** 1951 BOWMAN WILLIE MAYS
    Babe Ruth ***** 1933 GOUDEY BABE RUTH
    Ted Williams ***** 1954 WILSON FRANKS TED WILLIAMS
  • Options
    Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Is there some reason you keep posting sports stuff in the wrong forum?
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this question and answers are relevant to us collectors ...and most are at least 36 yo +
    I'm 53 so I know all the names.

ask someone younger or who doesn't collect or know history they will answer derek jeter and arod.
    Certainly they will not know joe jackson or ty cobb and even clemente or jackie robinson.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Is there some reason you keep posting sports stuff in the wrong forum? >>

YAWN

Ok here is my top 10

1- Babe Ruth
    2-Micky Mantle
    3-Joe Dimmagio
    4-Lou Gehrig
    5-Ted Williams
    6-Hank Aaron
    7-Willie Mays
    8-Ty Cobb
    9-Cy Young
    10-Pete Rose
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rule 6) This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia. If your post is not directly related to trading cards and/or memorabilia, then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Is there some reason you keep posting sports stuff in the wrong forum? >>

YAWN

Ok here is my top 10

1- Babe Ruth
    2-Micky Mantle
    3-Joe Dimmagio
    4-Lou Gehrig
    5-Ted Williams
    6-Hank Aaron
    7-Willie Mays
    8-Ty Cobb
    9-Cy Young
    10-Pete Rose >>

We're close... we're just off by Rose/Clemente
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If youre talking about most famous players, how can Derek Jeter be left off the list?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>If youre talking about most famous players, how can Derek Jeter be left off the list? >>

Of All Time... he's famous, but he wouldn't make a Top 10 list of all time.
  • Options
    Babe Ruth
    Jackie Robinson
    Roberto Clemente
    Hank AAron
    Willie Mays
    Yogi Berra
    Cy Young
    Ty Cobb
    Pete Rose
    Ernie Banks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If youre talking about most famous players, how can Derek Jeter be left off the list? >>

Of All Time... he's famous, but he wouldn't make a Top 10 list of all time. >>

I guess im just saying famous, meaning a name that most people would know or had heard of. Because i would say the majority of younger people know who Derek Jeter is if you bring up his name in conversation, but would have no idea who Cy Young or Ty Cobb are, unless they are baseball fans.

Kinda like everyone knows who Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson are, regardless if theyre baseball fans or not.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on who you ask... if you were to ask a teenager, they probably wouldn't have heard of half of those guys on the list.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't include Rose in my list because he is INFAMOUS....

Same with Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc.

Dave
  • Options
    Babe Ruth
    Jackie Robinson
    Joe Dimaggio
    Willie Mays
    Hank Aaron
    Lou Gehrig
    Shoeless Joe Jackson
    Pete Rose
    Cy Young
    Tommy John
    -------------------------------------
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyones list may vary a bit but there is no doubt Babe Ruth belongs at the top.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    If we are talking worldwide, Ichiro would be right up there.
  • Options

<< <i>To be the MOST famous, I suspect a baseball player would have been around for at least 40-50 years and is known to several generations. >>

But the younger generations out-number the older generations by a large amount. Jeter, Bonds, Ripken are far more well known than Reggie Jackson, probably Ty Cobb, too

How do we define 'Fame?'
  • Options
    Its all in who you ask.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To be the MOST famous, I suspect a baseball player would have been around for at least 40-50 years and is known to several generations. >>

But the younger generations out-number the older generations by a large amount. Jeter, Bonds, Ripken are far more well known than Reggie Jackson, probably Ty Cobb, too

How do we define 'Fame?' >>

Of All Time.. not Of This Generation. image
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Derek Jeter is on this list. No matter what anyone thinks of him, he is one of the most "famous" players to ever play the game. EASILY top-ten. Your grandmother has probably heard of Derek Jeter.
  • Options

<< <i>Derek Jeter is on this list. No matter what anyone thinks of him, he is one of the most "famous" players to ever play the game. EASILY top-ten. Your grandmother has probably heard of Derek Jeter. >>

I'm certain both of them died before he began playing baseball. image
  • Options

<< <i>Of All Time.. not Of This Generation. image >>

Again, among all generations, Bonds, Ripken and Jeter and more well known than Musial and Wagner. Your dead grandmother isn't familiar with any of them. The few 90-year-old grandmothers who still have a familiarity with the sport probably recognize the modern names as well as the names from 50 to 100 years ago
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    Mattingly.
  • Options

<< <i>

Again, among all generations, Bonds, Ripken and Jeter and more well known than Musial and Wagner. Your dead grandmother isn't familiar with any of them. The few 90-year-old grandmothers who still have a familiarity with the sport probably recognize the modern names as well as the names from 50 to 100 years ago >>

There's a difference between name recognition and THE most famous... if you compiled a list of the 10 Most Famous Presidents of All Time, Ronald Reagan MAY appear on the list. This generation might not even be able to name the last 10 Presidents, but they might be able to recognize their names. Just because someone is famous and well-known doesn't mean they should automatically be included in a Top 10 list of All Time.

As a sidenote, not a single poster included Musial or Wagner in their Top 10.
  • Options

<< <i> Just because someone is famous and well-known doesn't mean they should automatically be included in a Top 10 list of All Time. >>

If there aren't 10 others more famous, they absolutely should be included automatically. . .
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Again, among all generations, Bonds, Ripken and Jeter and more well known than Musial and Wagner. Your dead grandmother isn't familiar with any of them. The few 90-year-old grandmothers who still have a familiarity with the sport probably recognize the modern names as well as the names from 50 to 100 years ago >>

There's a difference between name recognition and THE most famous... if you compiled a list of the 10 Most Famous Presidents of All Time, Ronald Reagan MAY appear on the list. This generation might not even be able to name the last 10 Presidents, but they might be able to recognize their names. Just because someone is famous and well-known doesn't mean they should automatically be included in a Top 10 list of All Time.

As a sidenote, not a single poster included Musial or Wagner in their Top 10. >>

This is absurd. Nolan Ryan played until 1993, but you don't think Jeter belongs because he started his career in 1995? Jeter is one of the most FAMOUS players of all-time. No matter how badly you don't want him on your list, he belongs on it. I would put him in over Ty Cobb, who is mostly known only to people who follow baseball, or Reggie Jackson. Before anyone gets all stupid, I'm not saying Jeter is better than Cobb. This is about fame.
  • Options
    I think you guys are really missing the concept of ALL TIME... President Barrack Obama would be more famous at this moment in time, but he would not be included in a list of the Top 10 Most Famous Presidents of All Time. Is Obama more famous now... absolutely, but he hasn't shown that he will be more famous for All Time. Bo Jackson was VERY famous in the late 80s and by your logic would have probably been included in the Top 10 Football... in the 1989-1995 era, but he's not one of the Top 10 Most Famous Football Players. Jeter hasn't proven himself to have staying power, the others have proven themselves for Decades.

If you read my initial post, I wrote "(not my list)". If you read MY list, Nolan Ryan and Reggie Jackson are not part of my Top 10.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you guys are really missing the concept of ALL TIME... President Barrack Obama would be more famous at this moment in time, but he would not be included in a list of the Top 10 Most Famous Presidents of All Time. Is Obama more famous now... absolutely, but he hasn't shown that he will be more famous for All Time. Bo Jackson was VERY famous in the late 80s and by your logic would have probably been included in the Top 10 Football... in the 1989-1995 era, but he's not one of the Top 10 Most Famous Football Players. Jeter hasn't proven himself to have staying power, the others have proven themselves for Decades.

If you read my initial post, I wrote "(not my list)". If you read MY list, Nolan Ryan and Reggie Jackson are not part of my Top 10. >>

I can't even begin to explain how illogical it is to leave off players just because they are still playing. That makes absolutely NO sense. You are simply leaving off a player or players for no good reason at all. Just because you want to. It's senseless. Hey, whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    It's hard to fathom what the OP is even asking if he's only asking for inactive players. How the hell could we ever possibly know that Ty Cobb is more "famous" than Derek Jeter? How do you gauge fame, especially when the player hasn't played since 1928. If you wanted the list restricted to only inactive players, you should have stated that in the OP.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you guys are really missing the concept of ALL TIME... President Barrack Obama would be more famous at this moment in time, but he would not be included in a list of the Top 10 Most Famous Presidents of All Time. Is Obama more famous now... absolutely, but he hasn't shown that he will be more famous for All Time. Bo Jackson was VERY famous in the late 80s and by your logic would have probably been included in the Top 10 Football... in the 1989-1995 era, but he's not one of the Top 10 Most Famous Football Players. Jeter hasn't proven himself to have staying power, the others have proven themselves for Decades.

If you read my initial post, I wrote "(not my list)". If you read MY list, Nolan Ryan and Reggie Jackson are not part of my Top 10. >>

I can't even begin to explain how illogical it is to leave off players just because they are still playing. That makes absolutely NO sense. You are simply leaving off a player or players for no good reason at all. Just because you want to. It's senseless. Hey, whatever floats your boat. >>

Your debating skills are well honed! image
  • Options

<< <i> absolutely, but he hasn't shown that he will be more famous for All Time. >>

Exactly. Just as Woodrow Wilson and James Madison have become less famous than Obama and Bush, Ty Cobb and Cy Young are now less famous than Jeter and Bonds. Fame is a fluid quality
  • Options
    An All Time list will inherently have names from the past since by it's nature, the names will have to stand the test of time (hence, all time). How can an active player demonstrate they will stand the test of time? Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, etc., would all have been More Famous during their prime than ANY other player on any list, but that doesn't mean they're the Top 10 Most Famous of All Time.
  • Options
    10 Most Famous Presidents from 1980

1. Lincoln
    2. FDR
    3. Washington
    4. Jefferson
    5. Roosevelt
    6. Wilson
    7. Jackson
    8. Truman
    9. Adams
    10. LBJ

10 Most Famous Presidents from 2010

1. FDR
    2. Roosevelt
    3. Lincoln
    4. Washington
    5. Jefferson
    6. Madison
    7. Monroe
    8. Wilson
    9. Truman
    10. Ike

Again, just because Obama may be the most famous NOW, doesn't mean he is or will be the most famous of All Time.

Edited to add: In 2010, Obama was #15. Even when he was the current President, he didn't make the Top 10 of All Time. You'll also notice that Wilson and Madison are still on the list; while Obama and Bush are not.
  • Options

<< <i>An All Time list will inherently have names from the past since by it's nature, the names will have to stand the test of time (hence, all time). How can an active player demonstrate they will stand the test of time? Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, etc., would all have been More Famous during their prime than ANY other player on any list, but that doesn't mean they're the Top 10 Most Famous of All Time. >>

So why do you have Nolan Ryan on the list. His career ended just one year before Jeter's started. Was 1993 the cut-off for all-time fame gauging?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>An All Time list will inherently have names from the past since by it's nature, the names will have to stand the test of time (hence, all time). How can an active player demonstrate they will stand the test of time? Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, etc., would all have been More Famous during their prime than ANY other player on any list, but that doesn't mean they're the Top 10 Most Famous of All Time. >>

So why do you have Nolan Ryan on the list. His career ended just one year before Jeter's started. Was 1993 the cut-off for all-time fame gauging? >>

Again, I DON'T have Ryan on my list... look at my original post, it clearly states (not my list). The list is from a famous sports writer.

This is my list:

Ted Williams ***** 1954 WILSON FRANKS TED WILLIAMS
  • Options

<< <i>Again, just because Obama may be the most famous NOW, doesn't mean he is or will be the most famous of All Time. >>

If your list is accurate, Obama isn't among the most famous NOW (or at least wasn't in 2010)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So why do you have Nolan Ryan on the list. His career ended just one year before Jeter's started. Was 1993 the cut-off for all-time fame gauging? >>

Again, I DON'T have Ryan on my list... look at my original post, it clearly states (not my list). The list is from a famous sports writer.

This is my list:

Ted Williams ***** 1954 WILSON FRANKS TED WILLIAMS >>

Oh, okay. I would say Joe Jackson is more infamous than famous. Same with Rose (not saying Rose is on your list). I think a case could be made for Jeter over those two and Cobb. Of course these are all subjective, but I simply can't see a list not having Jeter on it. The guy is a legend, not simply famous.
  • Options
    My list (in no particular order)

Hank Aaron
    Roberto Clemente
    Lou Gehrig
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Derek Jeter
    Mickey Mantle
    Willie Mays
    Babe Ruth
    Nolan Ryan
    Ted Williams

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    The way I answer this question is to look at baseball through my wife's eyes. She would definitely know that Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are baseball players. I would also think about adding Mark McGwire to the list. Anybody alive in '98 knows that name.

My list based on my wife's possible answers are:

Babe Ruth
    Lou Gehrig
    Pete Rose
    Joe Dimaggio
    Mickey Mantle
    Ty Cobb
    Mark McGwire

Without talking to her, I can't come up with anymore gaurantees than that.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Thats a no brainer! Joe Namath

Willie Mays is a close second as he is the ONLY one to have had his own cartoon series
  • Options

<< <i>Willie Mays is a close second as he is the ONLY one to have had his own cartoon series >>

Bo Jackson had one in which he co-stared with Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky in Pro Stars.

I think the wife test is the best test to gauge famous. I'll talk to my wife and see what names she knows.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    I recreated ESPN's Top 100 baseball players of all time list:
    Top 100 Google Doc
    Then I asked my wife which ones she knew were baseball players. There are no local teams here (OKC) and she doesn't follow baseball at all - which to me is a true measure of fame. She knew 27 names, but not greats like Ted Williams or even many modern stars like Albert Pujols. Here are the players she knew (FWIW, she said the most famous to her by far were Ruth, Mantle & Berra). Another thing to note is the power of the Yankee brand.
    1. Babe Ruth, RF/LHP
    2. Willie Mays, CF
    3. Barry Bonds, LF
    5. Hank Aaron, RF
    6. Ty Cobb, CF
    7. Roger Clemens, RHP
    9. Mickey Mantle, CF
    10. Honus Wagner, SS
    11. Lou Gehrig, 1B
    17. Cy Young, RHP
    18. Alex Rodriguez, SS/3B
    21. Joe DiMaggio, CF
    23. Randy Johnson, LHP
    31. Cal Ripken Jr., SS/3B
    34. Ken Griffey Jr., CF
    35. Nolan Ryan, RHP
    37. Pete Rose, OF/1B
    38. Derek Jeter, SS
    41. Pedro Martinez, RHP
    52. Jackie Robinson, 2B
    55. Reggie Jackson, OF
    56. Yogi Berra, C
    71. Ivan Rodriguez, C
    78. Mike Piazza, C
    83. Mark McGwire, 1B
    85. Manny Ramirez, LF
    95. Sammy Sosa, RF
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    1a. Babe Ruth
    1b. Ichiro Suzuki

then farther down in fame/name recognition...
    Joe DiMaggio
    Barry Bonds
    Lou Gehrig
    Mickey Mantle
    Derek Jeter
    Pete Rose
    etc.
    etc.

• Options

<< <i>1a. Babe Ruth
    1b. Ichiro Suzuki

then farther down in fame/name recognition...
    Joe DiMaggio
    Barry Bonds
    Lou Gehrig
    Mickey Mantle
    Derek Jeter
    Pete Rose
    etc.
    etc. >>

I quit following baseball around 1999 and am just now watching it again... I had no idea who Ichiro Suzuki was until I looked him up this week. If I didn't know who he was, I doubt he's that famous.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Yes, because a person who didn't follow baseball has no idea who a person is/was means they certainly aren't THAT famous.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, because a person who didn't follow baseball has no idea who a person is/was means they certainly aren't THAT famous. >>

I've been surrounded by testosterone for the past 5 years and not one person ever mentioned him. They discussed a LOT of sports players from all sports, but never once was his name mentioned. If a bunch of dudes aren't talking about him, then he's probably not that famous to the average American.