Home U.S. Coin Forum

1965 DDO Washington Quarter FS-101......worth getting seen about? (Updated with PCGS grade)

PCGS just blessed this with a Secure Plus AU50 grade and a neat TrueView. Thanks to Tom for letting me tag along on his submission.

Original post from here down>>>>>>>

Or is there not much interest in these?
CPG said it's a good variety but you know how that goes, it's only a good variety and worth more than 25¢ if more than 2 people think it is.
Looked on CONECA and only 1 is reported (which could mean it's tough or there's not a whole lot of interest).
Will try to get some pics up this afternoon if I can manage to get some closeups.

---------------------------------------
(Update)

The pic is not much to be desired as I don't have the capability for nice pics. The doubling is south and not eastsoutheast like it's machine doubled counterpart (which I ran into quite a few while looking).

The story of the find:
My 85 year old grandmother passed away 2 weeks before Christmas last month. While she left 6 children and numerous grandchildren and great-grands, one particular daughter had been living with her since she was born (in 1949) due to having Cerebral Palsy from birth. They weren't a wealthy family as far as dollars go but had all the love in the world plus some. While operating a mom and pop's service station and a small side-of-the-road clothing store from the 50's-80's, my grandfather (who predeceased my grandmother in 1990) and grandmother stockpiled some extra change they had and put in the back of an old floor safe, I guess saving for a rainy day. Well, the rainy day came last month after grandma's passing and bills were piling up very high very quickly and was straining the bank account and small social security income of my aunt (the one with cerebral palsy). While going through insurance papers, the will, and whatnot, my mom found all these rolls of change that my grandad had put up 30+ years ago in that safe and back behind the safe. There was only about $60-70 face value in "junk" 90% silver coins, but boocoodles of rolls of Cents, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters all dated 1983 and earlier. Being a coin guy, they commissioned me to go thru it to see what was valuable and such, so I looked thru it for about 5 hours last night and haven't scratched the surface yet. I went thru about $500 face value in quarters and $100 face value in Halves (hadn't cherrypicked the halves yet)....and still have lots to go thru.
I was glad to find this coin to maybe get a little more $$$ to boost the bank account of my aunt in need. Almost like my grandad is watching out for us still. They weren't "coin people" as far as being collectors (I wish they were), just frugal small business owners with alot of mouths to feed.

Upon closer inspection, this coin appears to have XF+/AU- circulation characteristics with a couple of fine pinscratch surface abrasions that are magnified horribly in my pics due to my poor photography setup (a black notebook, handheld camera, and indirect sunlight). I found this coin at about 1:30 this morning after my eyes were about crossed from looking through 2000 quarters.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your coin is equal to or better than the one in my set, I am interested for sure! Not sure about CONECA showing -1- when there are (2) coins already in just the pop top grade at PCGS?

FROM MY REGISTRY SET:

1965 DDO FS-101 147196 DDO FS-101 (FS-026) 25C MS64 384.00 2 0

Congrats on locating one!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the find, and I will say I am the second person interested as I have went thru many rolls and have never found one. I am sure there are others putting together sets that are in search of these. Can't wait to see the picture. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

This is a nice mid-AU coin, not a MS coin. The one listed on CONECA was listed as grading VF20.

I assume PCGS recognizes this variety?

Wondercoin- Is that "384.00" in that code what the price guide valuation is in MS64?
    The "384" is the point total assigned to the coin. The coin is valued at $1,500 in MS64 according to the Price Guide. I personally think J. Hernandez is right on the money with that Price Guide value by the way.... at least if a dealer/collector buy price at around 80% of that level supports the listed price?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a nice mid-AU coin, not a MS coin. The one listed on CONECA was listed as grading VF20.

I assume PCGS recognizes this variety?

Wondercoin- Is that "384.00" in that code what the price guide valuation is in MS64? >>

384.00 os the registry weight. Not a price.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>The "384" is the point total assigned to the coin. The coin is valued at $1,500 in MS64 according to the Price Guide. I personally think J. Hernandez is right on the money with that Price Guide value by the way.... at least if a dealer/collector buy price at around 80% of that level supports the listed price?

Wondercoin >>

Price guide valuations are based upon reported sales information. This AU-53 seems to have gotten passed over but this

AU-55 made the list.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    thanks for those comparisons. Might have to try this one at the TPG's.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The "384" is the point total assigned to the coin. The coin is valued at $1,500 in MS64 according to the Price Guide. I personally think J. Hernandez is right on the money with that Price Guide value by the way.... at least if a dealer/collector buy price at around 80% of that level supports the listed price?

Wondercoin >>

Price guide valuations are based upon reported sales information. This AU-53 seems to have gotten passed over but this

AU-55 made the list. >>

The AU55 was my coin-sold in the 2012 FUN auction along with around 20 other major d die Washington 25c. The 1965 1-O-IV is a VERY worthwhile variety.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All early clad is very tough in this kind of condition. Not only will few of these be found
    but all that are will essentially be "condition census" because they don't exist in uncirculated
    grades for the main part.

The point mostly is to not let it go cheap just because it's low grade since it will be considered
    very high grade in the long run.
    Tempus fugit.
    Most all of the strong copper-nickel doubled dies in this series are of considerable rarity. The only one that's found with any regularity is the 1967 SMS DDO and the 1970-D DDR 1 & 2.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats- that's a rare one for sure.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

• << <i>The "384" is the point total assigned to the coin. The coin is valued at $1,500 in MS64 according to the Price Guide. I personally think J. Hernandez is right on the money with that Price Guide value by the way.... at least if a dealer/collector buy price at around 80% of that level supports the listed price?

Wondercoin >>

It is always hard to put a price on some of the Varieties. They are worth what someone will pay for them.
    My Washington Quarter (1932-1964)variety set is close to 80% completed and more than half of the varieties that i have, do not have a PCGS price listed.

I would certainly get the 65 DDO FS-101 graded.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most all of the strong copper-nickel doubled dies in this series are of considerable rarity. The only one that's found with any regularity is the 1967 SMS DDO and the 1970-D DDR 1 & 2. >>

<< <i>I would certainly get the 65 DDO FS-101 graded. >>

I agree with the above two posts. This coin is definitely worth slabbing, and if I didn't already have one, I would be interested in buying this one.

And if anyone has a 1966 DDR, or either of the two 1970-D DDO's, or the 1971 DDO for sale, I am interested!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the find.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice spread!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the find! It's great to hear you were able to find a little something extra for the family.

<< <i>Most all of the strong copper-nickel doubled dies in this series are of considerable rarity. The only one that's found with any regularity is the 1967 SMS DDO and the 1970-D DDR 1 & 2. >>

Unfortunately, multiple "different" DDR's can be found in 1970 US Mints sets and a good portion are misattributed as DDR-001 based upon the photograph in the CPG which is incorrect. The coin in the CPG is actually DDR-004.

As for the OP's coin, between $500 and $600 could be expected although more is possible given the grade and the rarity.

Speaking if which, as cladking stated, finding these in MS is all luck since attrition has claimed quite a few due to the metal composition AND they weren't available in US Mint Sets like the 1970's are.

I see that Mitch has an MS64 and given the fact that this MS64 does exist, seriously dampens the prospects for an XF-AU coin. Big money collectors may just hold out for an MS example to show up.

The name is LEE!
    not to mention there are (2) MS64's already for which I only have -1-.

Good points Lee.

Wondercoin
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, 1965 was a good year! image

Nice cherrypick! I wouldn't have recognized it, maybe even with that dramatic doubling. I'm not an error/variety guy by any means, but that's supercool!

WTG, Wes!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Thanks for the comments guys. Seems like I have something better than I thought.

This will go to our host for grading/attribution and hopefully will find a good home in a Registry set.

<< <i>If your coin is equal to or better than the one in my set, I am interested for sure! Not sure about CONECA showing -1- when there are (2) coins already in just the pop top grade at PCGS?

FROM MY REGISTRY SET:

Wondercoin >>

CONECA's numbers are based upon the coins that "they've seen", not what populations might be out there.

The name is LEE!
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find - another coin to look for and something that I was totally unaware of until this thread!
    Thanks, Bob.
    The coin is at PCGS right now courtesy of a fellow member who let me piggyback on one of his variety submissions. Will update this post when the coin gets back.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick and story

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pick and story >>

Couldn't agree more, and makes this a testament to the validity of modern cherrypicking. It's definitely worth the trouble to take an extra look at these earlier dates.

Congrats and good job by the way!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice good eye keep on picking some one needs to do it..image

Hoard the keys.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you submit it to PCGS, you should
    write on the plastic submission FLIP
    itself something like "Doubled Die Obv."
    and the FS or Coneca number...........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick!

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

AU-55 made the list. >>

That was my coin. Did OK but I thought it might do a little bit better with the original paperwork. It was part of my collection of all the "big" doubled dies in the series that was sold in the 2012 fun SHOW.

<< <i>If you submit it to PCGS, you should
    and the FS or Coneca number........... >>

The package was logged in this morning. On the flips they only wanted the submission number and line number for the coin. Now in the Variety box I filled that out to show DDO FS101(026) Hopefully that is the right info for them. I know my last submission I included a 1964 ddr 801 and it came back without, when I called I was told there expert said it was not so they did not charge me the 24 bucks. Now I am sending both those to JT Stanton to take a look for me. I can only hope that pcgs graders know to look for that just by filling the form out where they show Variety. 40 working days and will find out. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    I'd grade it only XF-45 but it's a nice pleasing specimen.

There will be very few graded higher.

More than half of them are gone forever and the rest are in low grade waiting to be lost or destroyed enmass.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>If your coin is equal to or better than the one in my set, I am interested for sure! Not sure about CONECA showing -1- when there are (2) coins already in just the pop top grade at PCGS?

FROM MY REGISTRY SET:

Wondercoin >>

384 huh?

It's funny that this coin with a population total of 14 (ANACS-9 and PCGS-5) has a registry weight of 6.00 while the 70-D DDO FS-101 which has a population of 7 (ANACS-5 and PCGS-2) only has a registry weight of 5.00.

I wonder why that is?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>If you submit it to PCGS, you should
    and the FS or Coneca number........... >>

The package was logged in this morning. On the flips they only wanted the submission number and line number for the coin. Now in the Variety box I filled that out to show DDO FS101(026) Hopefully that is the right info for them. I know my last submission I included a 1964 ddr 801 and it came back without, when I called I was told there expert said it was not so they did not charge me the 24 bucks. Now I am sending both those to JT Stanton to take a look for me. I can only hope that pcgs graders know to look for that just by filling the form out where they show Variety. 40 working days and will find out. Enjoy image >>

Instead of JT you should send the coin to James Wiles or a CONECA Representative. CONECA keeps detailed photo's of specific die varieties whereas JT may not. I do know that the photo in the CPG for the 1970-D DDR FS-801 is incorrect and due to that, the coin is "commonly" misdattributed by PCGS.

As for not getting charged the $24.00, you did well since usually, if the coin doesn't attribute, they keep your $24.00!

The name is LEE!
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment about writing on the
    submission flip was just in case you
    didn't check off the Varieity Box.

If you did that, you don't need to
    do what I suggested!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • It's certainly a very rare variety. I believe I've owned two of them, and I sold one for maybe $300-$400, and the higher grade one I had I got about $750 for, 7 or 8 years ago. I rarely see them for sale. Great cherrypick!

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the great and subtle find!

Great history and story too...
    It's a great thing to be able to help a family in need with a specilized knowledge of this kind!
    Cheers!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

up. Pretty happy with the grade.
    It looks great.

Nice photography as well.
    Tempus fugit.
    Congrats on the Grade and finding that coin. And our host really did a good job of turn around time with these. Glad to help out and now have another coin to search for Raw. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

Thanks Tommy. I have $1000 worth of Opthomologist bills now from looking at over 2800 quarters in 2 days through a 10X loupe, but it's worth it.

<< <i>Thanks Tommy. I have $1000 worth of Opthomologist bills now from looking at over 2800 quarters in 2 days through a 10X loupe, but it's worth it. >>

Damn right it is Wes!

Given the metal content and over all quality of the early copper nickel clad quarters, many really cool varieties have been lost forever. Picking them out while there are still some to be picked is a worthy goal.

BTW, I like how that Trueview came out. image

The name is LEE!
  • Pretty sure this might be one aswell:) what do you all think?? I'm new to collecting so any help is appreciated

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DuRbLIFe214 Your coin is nothing special. It is worth face value, 25 cents.

If you don't like that answer, then point to SPECIFIC things in your pictures that you would like other people to look at. If your coin doesn't have features that EXACTLY match the picture in the original post (you can open the TrueView image in a new window to see it larger), then yours is not the same and does not have the same value.

Your coin is not the doubled die variety, DuRbLIFe214. You can go here- http://www.varietyvista.com/ to check on most any 20th century doubled dies.

I used to have the variety in a PCGS AU53 slab. It's a tough one to find.

• Thanks for the info... I thought it was darn it heres better quality of the pics. The other pics were really bad.. Should have figured it wasnt special, Well mabey next time it wont just be a quarter worth only a quarter. Thanks again

Uar

U

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DuRbLIFe214.... Welcome aboard.... Definitely not the DDO.... And the second set of pictures are better, but still need to be improved on lighting and focus. Good luck in your searches. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file