Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What do you do ?

You've just made a few thousand on a card.
So you basically now have house money to play with.

Do you go ahead and buy some older wax that you know is good and will yield good cards for grading,
or do you just go ahead and use the cash towards some things you want to add to your personal collection.

Comments

• I would go with cards I want because buying wax (even older) will always be a gamble. Gum Stains, Print Dots, Centering, No Star Power, etc...
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Buy the stuff you want for the personal collection.
    Daniel
  • Vegas baby!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Add cards to your PC, because you can enjoy them now, and you could sell them if you ever "need" that money down the road.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Buy cards for pc, maybe payoff school loans too.
  • add to your personal collection.
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Go to The National
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    which time?
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I am by no means an open up older wax person (I see it as money wasted), but both should be an option with a few thousand.

Buy for personal collection.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    buy for your collection.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I would probably buy a case of something modern. Or a bunch of 80's wax boxes. I love opening stuff. I know its a gamble, but there is so much more satisfaction pulling a card yourself (and getting a high grade) than buying one. I understand both has its merits, but thats just me.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Instead of buying older wax, I would buy HOFer's from the 1950's and older.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • I remind myself that there is no such thing as house money

Which would you want to buy most if you didn't earn a few thousand on a card sale recently?
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    being a miserably negative person, I would just think about all those stacks of Kevin Mass, Gregg Jefferies and Sam Horn rookies that I lost tons of money on

Then I would buy a few cases of Topps Chrome football
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Buy season tickets to your favorite sports team in your locale and enjoy a whole season of fun, rather then a few fleeting moments of busting wax packs. Do some in person graph collecting at some of the games you go to. Use the leftover $$ to buy stuff for your personal collection.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Thanks guys.

I've decided to go with the personal collection stuff.

I was thinking of buying a 1972 Topps Football 2nd series wax box off of Fritsch, but I will pass and
    add to my autograph collection of a certain hall of famer. Yes, it will take a few thousand to add to that growing collection.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your windfall - and good luck on whatever your pick up - would sure like to see what ya get?
    Mike
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Open a franchise of the restaurant "Rodman's Rainbow Obamaburger".

Yes, I just pimped a thread I posted in the proper forum.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    buy a $15 card...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Buy cards. Maybe some 80's wax.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Growth Stock Mutual Funds
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy one Bad A$$ card that you thought you couldnt afford and now you can.
    1 card.
  • in the words of Si, from the most hilarious show on tv,, Duck Dynasty,, "I'm going to parfay this into something bigger" ,, lololol, love that show,,,, one word,,, POWERBALL,,, oh yea
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a 70 inch flatscreen TV and a sports package if your favorite team is not in your area......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    70 inch tv and sports package..."
    And then put the rest of the money on a BK game. Could win all the money back and start over.