Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

From RWB - Journal of Numismatic Research

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
I should have started to post this a couple of months ago...I got distracted and forgot. Oops!

These are from the great author, Roger W. Burdett. Looks like awesome stuff!

October 2012
This 48-page first issue features two articles about the technology used in producing coins in the US Mints.
ON PAGE 7 -
OBERLIN SMITH – PATENT FOR A COINING PRESS, 1896
United States patent number 574227 was issued to Oberlin Smith on December 29, 1896. Smith was owner of the Ferracute Company and had many years of experience in designing and manufacturing industrial and machine shop presses, lathes and other equipment. His company produced only two sizes of coin presses and sold a few to the U.S. Mint and others to foreign governments. This is the first publication of Smith’s complete patent text and illustrations.

ON PAGE 23 -
VICTOR JANVIER – PATENT FOR A MODEL REDUCING MACHINE, 1899
French and English - New translation by Margaux C. Thieme-Burdette

Among American numismatists Victor Janvier is known almost entirely for the model reducing machine of his invention that was installed in the Philadelphia Mint in 1906. The first test was in December when Barber and Morgan made hubs for a sample double eagle. In January 1907 the first reductions of Saint-Gaudens' double eagle models were made. The French patent, number 294123, was issued on November 8, 1899 and amended in February 24, 1902. This is the first publication of his patent and includes all documents remaining in the French patent office archive.

The printed version should be at Wizard Coin Supply
The PDF version of Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) is available exclusively from Wizard Coin Supply’s web site.
Go to wizardcoinsupply.com, then click on COIN BOOKS, then “Journal of Numismatic Research” (2nd row, right). This issue has a cover price of $10 in electronic or printed versions.
Wizard will also be the exclusive distributor of all printed and electronic editions of JNR, and of the forthcoming book United States Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II.

DIRECT LINK TO JOURNAL OF NUMISMATIC RESEARCH!

January 2013
The next issue of JNR is in preparation and planned publication date is January, 2013. This will be the “Winter 2013” issue.
The issue will be devoted to the inventions and innovations of Franklin Peale for the U.S. Mint.

Most collectors recognize Peale as inventor of the steam powered press introduced at the Mint in 1836. What few are aware of is the extent to which Peale’s work changed the Mint, its coining capacity and the basic nature of U.S. coins. With help from Joseph Saxton and Adam Eckfeldt, and a wealth of detailed knowledge brought back from his European mission, Peale’s inventions converted the Mint from a backward haphazard operation into a technology-leading mint. By the early 1850s, the Philadelphia Mint could produce more good coins per day than any mint in the world, and these were made at labor and equipment costs far below the best European mints.

Peale’s “magic” was a combination of insightful use of technology, and simplification. For him, the best solution to a problem was not technology alone, it was a amalgamation of human capabilities with basic mechanical principles that produced the greatest return for the least amount of money, time and energy.

The Winter 2012 Issue is 135 pages of detailed articles and rarely seen illustrations covering the work of Benjamin Franklin Peale.

Titled Benjamin Franklin Peale – Inventions and Innovations for the United States Mint, 1835 to 1852, this magnificent research edition describes and illustrates every improvement and invention made by Peale for the U.S. Mint. Peale’s inventions turned the Mint from a backwater mint barely hobbling along, into the best, most modern and most economical national mint in the world.

From his well known coinage press, to blank cutters, furnaces, electrotyping, die manufacturer, balances, hiring female employees, rolling mills, upsetting machines, coin counters - the list goes on and on, Franklin Peale literally reinvented the US Mint's equipment and operation.

Table of Contents...
JNR – Winter 2012 Contents

PAGE 9
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN PEALE – INVENTIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS FOR THE UNITED STATES MINT, 1835 TO 1852
by Roger W. Burdette

During Franklin Peale’s employment at the U.S. Mint from 1833 to 1854, he invented machinery and improved processes. These changes moved the mint from an outdated backwater, into the forefront of international coinage technology. This issue of JNR presents the first comprehensive review of Peale’s important contributions to the economic growth of the United States.

PAGE 13
IMPROVEMENTS IN THE METHOD OF MAKING WORKING DIES AND REDUCTIONS – 1835

PAGE 23
IMPROVEMENTS IN ASSAYING AND PARTING SILVER, AND RECOVERING PRECIOUS METALS FROM WASTE WATER – 1835

PAGE 27
INVENTION OF A TOGGLE-JOINT COINAGE PRESS – 1835

PAGE 38
IMPROVEMENTS IN ROLLING, DRAWING AND ANNEALING – 1835-1836

PAGE 47
INVENTION OF THE ECCENTRIC DRIVE BLANK CUTTING PRESS – 1836

PAGE 55
INVENTION OF THE UPSETTING MACHINE – 1836

PAGE 61
IMPROVEMENTS OF THE PILING BOX AND COIN COUNTING BOARD – 1837 AND 1839

PAGE 69
DESIGN FOR A STEAM ENGINE – 1839

PAGE 89
IMPROVEMENT OF BALANCES – 1835-1847

PAGE 101
IMPROVEMENTS IN ELECTROTYPING FROM MODELS OF METAL, WAX AND PLASTER – 1840

PAGE 105
HIRING OF WOMEN TO ADJUST PLANCHETS AND OPERATE PRESSES – 1850

PAGE 113
DESIGN FOR A STEEPLE ENGINE – 1851

PAGE 119
OPINIONS AND COMMENTS ON COINAGE AND
MINT OPERATIONS 1855, 1870

PAGE 128
SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY 
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy crap.

that looks like a great read!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>.
    holy crap.

that looks like a great read!
    . >>

That's what I was thinking. image

DIRECT LINK TO JOURNAL OF NUMISMATIC RESEARCH!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    For the morning crowd...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT. This is a must read & long overdue subject. Now I'm wondering why it didn't more contemporary treatment - did people not like Peale, was he just a private guy, or was all this innovation felt to be secret and proprietary.....

I do hope this edition covers that delightful story about Peale putting a whoopee cushion in his office couch.
  • Options

<< <i>TTT. This is a must read & long overdue subject. Now I'm wondering why it didn't more contemporary treatment - did people not like Peale, was he just a private guy, or was all this innovation felt to be secret and proprietary.....

I do hope this edition covers that delightful story about Peale putting a whoopee cushion in his office couch. >>

What's the story about the whoopee cushion? Or any other stories for that matter?
  • Options
    The story is, that Mr. Peale had some sort of device in his couch which could be made to emit embarrassing noises, particularly in the presence of lady guests.

I've seen QDB mention the story, not sure what the original source is. It's not the kind of thing you would read in a Mint Report image
  • Options
    Just got a copy of this issue & it is wonderful. So much rehashing in the numismatic media, so rare to see really fresh information. It's not just stuff pasted out of the Archives either, there are tons of peripheral sources used & good explications of the subject matter. If you have the slightest interest in the technology of the Mint during this period you will be very happy with a purchase.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " If you have the slightest interest in the technology of the Mint during this period you will be very happy with a purchase. "

It hasn't appeared on the Wizard Supplies site yet. Where can it be purchased?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Quote from Roger ATS:

"The Spring 2013 issue of Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) is available in Adobe Acrobat electronic form beginning today, February 27, 2013. A printed version for retail sale will be available in about thirty days. The 135 page soft-cover edition has a cover price of $20, and is available from Wizard Coin Supply, http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com.

This issue is devoted to the inventions and innovations of Franklin Peale for the U.S. Mint.

I released the electronic version early so release would not be delayed by printing. It should be on Wizard's site very soon."

So maybe it will be up on their website later today or tomorrow?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone should go and buy one and support a researcher like him!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    This reference is a must for anyone interested in the mechanical side of the Mint in the 19th century. The
    contributions of Franklin Peale have been, until this time, imperfectly understood but the careful and well
    documented research by Roger Burdette has lifted the curtain of obscurity from this interesting area.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update keyman64. I am anxious to read Roger's work on Peale. Great stuff!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks once more for another important update. RWB is churning out material faster than I can read. But that is a good thing. I will wait for the hard copy and purchase it. I HATE reading lengthy pdfs. That said, it would be nice if purchase of the hard copy also included a downloaded pdf version...
    Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file