Home Metal Detecting
Options

Whites v Garrett ???

I'm new to the idea of metal detecting, as well as newly retired and got time on my hands. So I'm looking at getting a midrange detector, and was wondering what you pros here on the board would suggest. Looking at about $500-600 to spend on 1. I live close to Whites HQ so that gives them a plus, but wanted to see ya'll think that Garrett is a better machine.

Comments

• Options
    I've used Garrett since 1989....I love it. I also know those that have White's and love them. The bottom line is, get one and USE IT! All the new machines are good, the experirnce is the thing that set you apart from the rest. A detector sitting in a closet is useless.....
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    and a good pin pointer makes it much more fun!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    There's really no right or wrong answer. There are a lot of brands out there - don't forget about Fisher or Minelab too. What I did was find some models that interested me and looked up videos on YouTube. This allows you to actually see them in action. And as Walt said get a pinpointer. Once again I checked them out on YouTube. I went with the pistol probe. Enjoy the search!
  • Options
    I use Garrett. Whites and Garrett both make quality detectors. The main thing to me is to find one that caters to the type of detecting you want to do. A detector made for being a real good coin shooter is what you want if coin hunting is your thing. I prefer an all around machine like my garrett masterhunter cx plus. I can do well with relics and coins. I would look at the garrett at pro. The only negative I have seen on this machine is that it does not run a battery pack or support rechargeable batteries. I think that that or something in a white that compares to it in your price range would suit you well. No right or wrong answer in that price range you should be able to find a good detector.
  • Options
    If your looking for a coin machine you want the CZ-3D, I herd from someone they are not selling them any longer though but I am not 100 positive on that. I have used a Minelab and there good. I now have the Whites spectra v3i with wireless headphones and all I can say is I am in LOVE with that machine.... Try and join a forum for MD and you will never pay retail. My machine is like 1700 with everything I got.. Paid 1150 shipped to my door with headphones

If you like MD join justgodetecting.com lots of diggers and relic hunts. Next Relic rescue is in March and I will be there
  • Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I'd like to thank everyone. I see I have a lot to learn. Just hoping the machine isn't to complex, and I'm able to find some things so it isn't to borring. I will most likely go with Whites and will also try to join the justgodecting.com board. At any rate just wnated to say THANK YA'LL

Nick

PS Keep posting your pictures as they give me some encourgment.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above.... I am a White's fan, but I know Garrett makes fine products as well. I will add that I know that White's customer service is incredible. Good luck with your decision and any time you have questions, please ask us.... we are happy to help. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    i've owned around 8-9 whites detectors. the higher end models are worth the extra money spent. if you can find a used dfx, i would get it. good to have a small coil and the larger 9.5
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had and used a Garrett GTI 1500 for a while and it was nice but I find that I can tweak out, to my liking, my whites detectors.

I use the white's Spectra V3 and really love it, but i wouldn't send anyone starting out to spend that $$ on a detector.

The idea of picking up a well cared for used DFX is really a great suggestion, and it's exactly what I would have recommended.

If you hunt in more populated areas or trashy areas, soda cans pop tops nails, then the use of a small coil will save you much frustration.

If you plan to do detecting over less trashy ground or you are looking for larger sized and deeper burried relic type items the larger coil could be usefull.

JMO good luck with your search for a detector.

good resource for info ---> Tnet
  • Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Thanks Everybody!!!

I have it narrowed down to 2, OK 3. The MXT and MXT pro or the DFX. My question is I was told at the MD shop that the DFX was more of a gold or jewelry machine. Where as I will do a little of that, most of my hunting will be for coins I believe. I'm in western Oregon so there aren't a lot of relics around here, as there was very little white population before mid 1800.

Some here are saying the DFX, but is it good for silver coins?

What advantage would the DFX have over the MXT or MXT Pro?

Thanks Again
    Nick
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DFX is highly customizable, with it you can adjust just about everything the detector can do to your liking, and also tweak it to the type of hunting you do as well as having more control while hunting based on your ground conditions.

I never owned an MXT but have had the chance to use one and, though everyone will have an opinion, I think the DFX has it all over the MXT.

I use a v3 now with the DFX as a backup machine, especially if I'm far from home I'll take it along with me, as two is one and one is none, and Murphy's law never sleeps. I'd rather be prepared than have a day ruined if something should break. Not that the machines are prone to problems, but you could fall and snap something, so I just try to plan ahead.

Here are some settings that I would use with the DFX and I've found some good stuff with that machine. Plenty of silver, coins and rings.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with JohnnyCache..... 'two is one and one is none'....I also have the V3 with the DFX for backup. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    When I started detecting back in the early '70s, there wasn't too much of a selection. I remember I bought a Whites with 2 waterproof heads. The guts were in a shoebox-sized metal box. It gave a tone on everything so never knew what I'd find.

Once, I dug up a piece of round aluminum foil. Opened the foil and found a bottle cap. Inside the bottle cap were two Merc dimes!!!

And I think I was the inventor of the half-ring PVC for the upper arm rest. Had to custom make one back then and am really peeod that I never made the suggestion to Whites for some money. Could still be collecting royalties from it today!!!image
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.