Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Biggest Price Drops/Increases You've Seen Post-Sale

With the HOF news today, I took a look to see what a 1986 Fleer Update Barry Bonds sells for these days in PSA 10 condition. About $40-50 it appears. Back in 1998 or 1999, I owned 2 of the then 5 PSA 10s in existence and sold each for more than $5,000 (I recall one sale getting a mention in Beckett even). So that's a price drop of 99%. I imagine it will be difficult to top that one.

I got out of the business around 1999 and only sold late 1980s/early 1990s unopened material and modern graded cards, so I pretty much have only seen price drops.

What's the biggest increase/decrease, percentage-wise or dollar-wise, that you recall after selling a card you owned?
Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to guess the Tiger Woods SI and Grand Slam cards would have to be up there. I never owned one but an acquantance was selling high grade versions for tens of thousands in the late 90s when they were first discovered.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Esquire that's incredible.
  • Biggest price increase: A raw 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that was just recently graded. image
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to guess the Tiger Woods SI and Grand Slam cards would have to be up there. I never owned one but an acquantance was selling high grade versions for tens of thousands in the late 90s when they were first discovered. >>

This has to be the winner. One sold for 100k back in the day. That's insane
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I know the guy who sold the SI for Kids Tiger Woods - Michael Souza. I believe he got $125K for it. If I recall correctly, he sold it just a few weeks before Tiger won the Masters by a landslide. At the time he was sort of regretting not holding onto the card for a little longer. Good call in selling!
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Didn't the 1986 Barry Bonds Traded Tiffany go for crazy money around that time too? Like 3,000?

I actually bought that card last weekend. Actually got a real good deal.

1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Barry Bonds PSA 10
    1990 Leaf Frank Thomas PSA 10
    1977 Topps Andre Dawson PSA 8 (Yeah, I know...he threw it in because he said he was tired of looking at it)

...for 325.00.

Justin
  • any jeremy lin card last year, huge increase
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>any jeremy lin card last year, huge increase >>

Has the huge decrease happened yet?
  • not really, lots of autos still over $100 even though he really is only good for $40 tops
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    in 2000, I sold a PSA 10 1986 Fleer Paul Pressey for a little over $4000. It was the first 10 graded and I knew once everyone started subbing their 86 Fleer sets, many more would pop.

I think within 2 years that card was selling for about $300-$400
  • I recall selling a 1993 Finest refractor Mo Vaugh for 400.00 and a 1995 Bowmans Best Vlady PSA 9 for 200.00 to a dealer at the Strongsville, Ohio show.

More good times
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Leaf-446-Kevin-Maas-LOT-OF-3-/181054470090?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a27aff7ca
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:
    I know the guy who sold the SI for Kids Tiger Woods - Michael Souza. I believe he got $125K for it. If I recall correctly, he sold it just a few weeks before Tiger won the Masters by a landslide. At the time he was sort of regretting not holding onto the card for a little longer. Good call in selling!

Appears Mike Souza now has some explaining to do.....

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the record, that wasn't the acquaintance I was referring to in my post. Esquire was referring to a different sale. I don't know Souza and glad I don't based on recent news.

• soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I remember thepit.com having the 2001 Bowman chrome Albert Pujols autograph PSA 9 for $250.

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I bought a couple 2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady RC in PSA 10 for about $1,500 each. This was back in 2011 I think. Those cards sell for 20-25k now. I'm so mad at myself for selling those. I only collect MJ now but that profit could've been a great day of card shopping. Tom Brady & his stupid, amazing talent & stupid future hall of fame face & infinite number of Super Bowl rings.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

1 sold a PSA 9 Frank Lary for 1K many years ago when it was 1 of 2. A recent BIN went for $45.

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Kind of cool to see this thread revived.

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

It' should be a law that every man in the world access this forum at least once a day in order to gaze upon soxaddicts's picture.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@esquiresports said:

9999rbush is one of the biggest PSA 10 sellers on ebay. This doesn't look good.

I find myself searching for these ids in my past transactions, except for PWCC, so far so good.

Mike
  • spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 1:34PM

Yeah, I don't think I ever purchased anything from him, but he did have 10s for cards that were very tough to find centered in an 80s set I'm working on...I always assumed they were sheet cut. Luckily, his crazy prices kept me away.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

@esquiresports said:

9999rbush is one of the biggest PSA 10 sellers on ebay. This doesn't look good.

I find myself searching for these ids in my past transactions, except for PWCC, so far so good.

I have done the same. My "do not buy from list" has increased greatly in recent months....

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    I have done the same. My "do not buy from list" has increased greatly in recent months....

And with no sign of slowing down as there has been a steady drumbeat of these types of revelations for months now. It's very depressing.

• CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I bought a Tom Brady SP RC PSA 10 for $300 after his first super bowl....sold it after his 3rd for $3000 and thought I did great....One sold yesterday for 20,000. 'Nuff said

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@CSUrunandstun said:
    I bought a Tom Brady SP RC PSA 10 for $300 after his first super bowl....sold it after his 3rd for $3000 and thought I did great....One sold yesterday for 20,000. 'Nuff said

I’m a huge Michigan fan and hoarded his Contenders rc and did pretty good. Unfortunately I never bought the #/100 ones. I would be retired now!!!! They went up 5,000%

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Any high-end Andrew Luck collector's willing to chime in?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

1986 Ryan PSA 10 sold for $3K at about 10 years ago.

What did the Jeremy Lin auto card sell for a few years back - 6 figures?

Keith Comstock - after the ESPN story his ball to his balls card has skyrocketed.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 6:49AM

During the rookie card craze a few years ago I sold both a 1955 Topps Clemente 7 and Koufax PSA 8 for over 20k each. They both sell for less than half that now and did so just a couple of months later.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Baseball 2018 Topps Update Hobby boxes are now $225, they were $40 within the last several months. Even the cheap hanger boxes you got at Target for $4.99 are now $40. Blaster boxes were $15, now over $60. I don't get it.

2013/14 Panini Prizm Basketball Hobby Case (12 boxes) $14,000
    2014 Topps Update Jumbo Box baseball $340

I hope I'm not boring people with all the posts about newer stuff, but it is fascinating to me.

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

November of 2018, the 2018 Topps Update boxes were $31.50. One sold 2 days ago for $263. Anything Topps Update is volcano hot now. 2019 is pre order for $1200 a case. 2011 if you can find one, is $4,500 a box (Trout obviously). It is crazy to see mass produced Topps boxes go for this kind of money. It also proves that you can't dismiss all modern Topps boxes as crap.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    During the rookie card craze a few years ago I sold both a 1955 Topps Clemente and Koufax PSA 7 for over 20k each. They both sell for less than half that now and did so just a couple of months later.

I remember the Clemente hitting 20k but I never saw a Koufax 7 go that high. Maybe a 8.

• smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Sorry. You are correct. The Koufax was an 8.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • @phelda said:
    November of 2018, the 2018 Topps Update boxes were $31.50. One sold 2 days ago for $263. Anything Topps Update is volcano hot now. 2019 is pre order for $1200 a case. 2011 if you can find one, is $4,500 a box (Trout obviously). It is crazy to see mass produced Topps boxes go for this kind of money. It also proves that you can't dismiss all modern Topps boxes as crap.

My local Topps dealer told me that Topps only produces these cases based on order quantity. If true this would make these quite rare similiar to higher series baseball in the order Topps products. By the way, I saw a 2011 update box at the National this year for $5000 !

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats nuts. Good on you for selling.

Looking at that goofy PWCC index it’s clear that there was a signficant correction on the hobby’s top cards. Prices are just getting back to early 2016 levels.

@smallstocks said:
    During the rookie card craze a few years ago I sold both a 1955 Topps Clemente and Koufax PSA 7 for over 20k each. They both sell for less than half that now and did so just a couple of months later.

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I remember a 1989 Donruss and 1989 Fleer Griffey selling for $1500 and $900 respectively in 1997/1998. Not the Fleer glossy revision. Today a Donruss fetches about $300 and a Fleer $75.

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

PSA 10 versions of the Griffey.