Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dealing with cancelled bids

I know we just had a conversation about this, but I have had a TON of cancelled bids recently. This just pisses me off:

"I accidently hit the place bid button is it possible to withdraw this bid. I wanted to inform you as soon as i noticed what i did, i apprieciate it if you can help me with this thank you

- bigmike281979"

Now they want me to help them cancel their bids?!?!?!
My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if there was a "do not place bid" button, then maybe......

forget it. image
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Just received this message from the same user as noted above after winning a card from me:

"My husband was in a terrible accident 3 nights ago, an is in the hospital still, we have really watch our money now im sorry for any inconvience to yourself but the card can no longer be purchased by us. Thank you for your time"

-_-
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    You should reply with this to the person...

Let me guess, your husband was in a terrible accident 3 nights ago, an is in the hospital still and you have really watch your money now. I bet your also sorry for any inconvience to myself but the card can no longer be purchased by you. No need to thank me for my time either."
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me this is the single worst issue with ebay and they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to correct it.

I know some people are in favor of retractions because "people make mistakes", well how about a limit on retractions. If people are that stupid as to not be able to figure out the bidding process they should be kicked off ebay, or at least suspended.

Anything is better than doing nothing! EBAY?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    eBay's answer was that if you end an auction with bids, you have to pay FVF regardless whether there was a sale or not because people are disappointed in getting bids cancelled.
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    It's amazing how people who win auctions seem to have the worst luck at times. If her husband was in such a bad accident, why is she on eBay on and not at the hospital with him?

Also, there should be a greater penalty for a non payment of an item other than a strike..... Basically not a real consequence like a negative feedback or low stars. Very annoying that buyers get away with that.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    What about sellers who don't get what they really wanted out of a card? I have buy and sell, but have more problems with sellers taking down their auctions before ending or if I win they send me a message saying they expected more.
  • Options
    Sad part about this all-too-common practice is that if you really HAD a family emergency that caused you to no longer to have the money to purchase the card, NO ONE is going to believe you.

<< <i>Also, there should be a greater penalty for a non payment of an item other than a strike..... Basically not a real consequence like a negative feedback or low stars. Very annoying that buyers get away with that. >>

+1. If it happens once, you get a warning. If it happens twice, you are not eligible to receive EBay bucks for one year. If it happens three times, you're done.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, there should be a greater penalty for a non payment of an item other than a strike..... Basically not a real consequence like a negative feedback or low stars. Very annoying that buyers get away with that. >>

You have to be a little careful here, a person could have a legitimate reason for not paying. If he/she found out item was fake after they bid, and it went for a lot of money, you certainly wouldn't send the funds.

This is a problem though and if there's no good reason, non paying bidders should be punished as well.

Retractions are a bigger problem in my opinion and ebay does NOTHING AT ALL about them.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573

<< <i>If it happens once, you get a warning. If it happens twice, you are not eligible to receive EBay bucks for one year. If it happens three times, you're done. >>

Seems harsh, but I like it.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I offer returns on everything I sell. I'd rather have the bid rescinded or the buyer not pay than go through the return process or worse - a claim that the item was never recieved. I just consider it a cost of doing business which is not unlike most retail establishments. This outlook also helps keep me in a better mood.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>You should reply with this to the person...

Let me guess, your husband was in a terrible accident 3 nights ago, an is in the hospital still and you have really watch your money now. I bet your also sorry for any inconvience to myself but the card can no longer be purchased by you. No need to thank me for my time either." >>

Please stop with all the negativity.
  • Options
    Mo negativity is the fun part.
  • Options

<< <i>Mo negativity is the fun part. >>

Dodger, I couldn't agree more. Just pointing out Foo's hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Maurice, not sure what your deal is but you're the biggest troll this board has seen in a long time. You start more fights on here for no apparent reason that anyone I've seen. I assure that you add a lot more to the problems on this board than you think. You think you're so clever and above everyone else and yet you contribute absolutely nothing to these boards except trouble and confrontation and your actually quite annoying and I'm looking forward to the day when you are outed from these boards because despite what you think, most will be very happy when you're gone image

Good riddance it will be.