Home Precious Metals

So where does it end up, this time

2»

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Better one day too soon than one day too late." I must've heard that somewhere.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Looks as if the silver bottom has not as yet come to pass. Patience is virtue....and stacking now is betting against the odds.

It's a big assumption that PMs are following the same time frames as the 1962-1980 bull market. The driving factor in that bull was the cessation of hard money.
    This time around it's more about massive debt and derivatives and the end of the current paper money system as we currently know it.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It's a big assumption that PMs are following the same time frames as the 1962-1980 bull market

There's hardly anything (factors that determine pm value) that is now as it was then. Just because something happens once or maybe twice in a lifetime doesn't mean it's going to happen again...in our lifetime. Sorry to have what maybe some will call a pessimistic pov, but I live in the real world and can see things pretty clearly for what they are.
    As derryb, and some others always say, there will be up and downs in the pm market, but hoping for once in a lifetime things to strike again is too much of a pipedream for me to hold my breath for. Far too many other thngs one can do with their $ that rest it all with one hope, 'cause that's all it is at this point. jmho.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Carew has been on a roll. Well played

So now you've made it known what your real purpose on these boards. To play chatboard playground. Get a life. oh, and, not very well played on your part. >>

Ha. You often make little sense. This would be one of those times.

FWIW- I was actually complimenting Carew's last couple of posts which where tongue and check well written. One was on the US Coin Forum. The well played comment was that he was able to slam all of us in this thread that actually bother to spar with you. Me included. You included. That is how I interpreted it. Thus well played.

You will not be able to comprehend any of this I fear. Anyways, take the last word on this.

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a big assumption that PMs are following the same time frames as the 1962-1980 bull market. The driving factor in that bull was the cessation of hard money.
    This time around it's more about massive debt and derivatives and the end of the current paper money system as we currently know it.

Sounds about right to me. Bretton Woods was far different than post-Glass Stegal Greenspan/Bernanke debt-multiplier tag-team.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭
    When everyone gives up on silver and gold, prices will begin to rise again, me thinks. Nothing like a good old fashion shake out.... Imagine
    how those long Apple are feeling these days.... lol.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30.02 as I type. I don't see silver falling under $25 this year and expect a range between $27 and $34 most of the year. I hope to see a run up to $40 sometime this year and believe any run into the upper $30's to be short-lived.

It's the coming 5 year peak of $60 I'm really looking forward to..........image
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And yet you feel compelled to contribute to my threads carew4me. Am I twisting your arm to even open my threads? It isn't hard to figure out who your ALT is either. image People like you who come on here with multiple profiles with the only intent is to pad what the other profile said disgusts me and is so easy to spot.
    Good day >>

Hahaha.

Noob Mctrollstein, I have been around here since the Open Thread days.
    You don't have a clue what that is because you have only been around since the 2088/2009 influx
    of "Ima get rich off of PMs" crowd.

The A team has been around here much longer and we like to toy with Bourgeois. We don't alt tag team board fleas.

You serve to entertain at our whimsy.

You will burn brightly like a comet, convince yourself your a player on the board and then fade away, as so many like you have before.

While you attackin...Ima Stackin.

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i>It's a big assumption that PMs are following the same time frames as the 1962-1980 bull market

There's hardly anything (factors that determine pm value) that is now as it was then. Just because something happens once or maybe twice in a lifetime doesn't mean it's going to happen again...in our lifetime. Sorry to have what maybe some will call a pessimistic pov, but I live in the real world and can see things pretty clearly for what they are.
    As derryb, and some others always say, there will be up and downs in the pm market, but hoping for once in a lifetime things to strike again is too much of a pipedream for me to hold my breath for. Far too many other thngs one can do with their $ that rest it all with one hope, 'cause that's all it is at this point. jmho. >>

Once in a lifetime? PMs have cycled with commodity bull markets like clockwork every 20 yrs or so. That happens multiple times during the average lifetime. I've already been involved in two in my lifetime. Of course PMs are following a similar path as the 1962-1980 bull market....but with variations, some not yet known. Fwiw, there are far more similarities to the previous bull market and this one than there are dissimilarities. But one has to do some research and critical thinking on their own. However, we all get to witness first hand the ending of a 120 yr economic cycle during this decade, something no one alive has witnessed before. So in that sense, this is a once in a lifetime ending to our current world fiat currency and debt-money regime as well as a final shakeout of 120 yrs of inflationary economic abuses. I'm sure gold will provide us with plenty of fireworks as this once in a lifetime cycle winds down.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    That happens multiple times during the average lifetime. I've already been involved in two in my lifetime

ok, i'll give you that...2x it's happened in our lifetime. The point was, I am not willing to wait for something that may or may not happen most likely a maximum of 3 times in my life. Congrats to those who have more patience than I. If one was fortunate enough to be in on a 20 year move, take that profit and build iit into something that looks promising on a much shorter "dead money" period of time.
    If doing your thing is what gives you piece of mind, that's fine, I'm not debating that, but I'm going to do what I want to with my available funds and not blindly follow without pursuing other avenues and not wait with abated breath on another "possible" 20 year spike.

Getting back to what I originally asked in the title of this thread...it seems like support is building around $29.50. But who's to say another 5-20% smackdown isn't around the corner? I know, I hear it all the time here, it's the nature of the beast.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When everyone gives up on silver and gold, prices will begin to rise again, me thinks. Nothing like a good old fashion shake out....l. >>

Agreed. So far I haven't really seen anyone give up on PMs.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

We haven't seen the 20 yr spike in gold and silver yet....just some intermediate ones. The final blow off is probably still a few years away and is typically associated with a mania type atmosphere where everyone and their brother is talking about gold and silver. There's not even a hint of that kind of atmopshere occurring yet. I don't mind waiting a few more years for a doubling up in gold and a 4 banger in silver. If one looks across the commodity and metal markets you will see much inconsistency on where peaks occurred. While most commods peaked in early 2011 you have a number that have peaked at other times (ie oil, nat gas, wheat, oats, rice, platinum in 2008 and lumber, oj in 2012). Euro-pound-Cando all peaked in 2008 while bonds have set new highs in 2012. Even silver and gold peaked over 4 months apart in 2011. Quite a mixed bag. Doesn't seem to suggest that a commodities/PMs peak has already occurred. The last metal's bull market lasted 17-18 years. This one is at most 11-12 yrs old. Quite a bit of time still to go.

<< <i>

<< <i>When everyone gives up on silver and gold, prices will begin to rise again, me thinks. Nothing like a good old fashion shake out....l. >>

Agreed. So far I haven't really seen anyone give up on PMs. >>

If you're looking at this board to be your data base for those giving up on PMs, you'll never get it right. Probably over half of this forum that regularly discuss the metals came in before
    $1,000 gold and $20 silver. Not too likely any of them are going to give up unless they need the money for other lifelong pursuits. Watch for the Asians and Europeans to give up on gold as they are the current world drivers. China needs to "give up" on adding 1,000 tonnes per year to their national inventories (combined private citizens + CB buying). Joe Six Pack is hardly the driver of world gold prices. And I'm a Joe Six Pack too. Fwiw, if "everyone" gives up on gold (CB's included), then the price of gold will fall to $0. The CB's will first have to divest of all of their vaulted tonnage (30,000 tonnes) to suggest to me that "everyone" has left gold. 2013 will probably be another choppy and difficult year for gold and silver. It doesn't change the fact that there is still much work to do in balancing out the price of gold against the world's sovereign debt.

Back in 1630's Holland, "everyone" did give up on tulips. The price of tulips has never returned near those levels since. image
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    and $20 silver

Its hard not remember , not so long ago (mid 2010), when I was looking at 5 SAE rolls for $1750 as a BIN on eBay.

You then could take %8 Bing and %2 eBay CB for a net of $1575 ($315 per roll).

This was 30 months ago and I pray every night that I can buy anywhere near that again.

I don't want it to go higher.....yet image

Loves me some shiny!
    I really don't know of any broad investments that would out have outperformed PMs over the past 10 yrs, especially ones that you can keep in your own SDB.
    And I don't know what great opportunities there are out there today but they don't seem to be in stocks or bonds.

Gold outperforms S&P over the past 20 yrs - with dividends included
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    metals will strengthen when Debt Ceiling scare become front page again, not far away. QE, in some form or another (look for new names to distract the viewer), can never end until a new buyer of US debt can be found; this is very far away.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agreed. So far I haven't really seen anyone give up on PMs. >>

If you're looking at this board to be your data base for those giving up on PMs, you'll never get it right. Probably over half of this forum that regularly discuss the metals came in before
    $1,000 gold and $20 silver. Not too likely any of them are going to give up unless they need the money for other lifelong pursuits. Watch for the Asians and Europeans to give up on gold as they are the current world drivers. China needs to "give up" on adding 1,000 tonnes per year to their national inventories (combined private citizens + CB buying). Joe Six Pack is hardly the driver of world gold prices. And I'm a Joe Six Pack too. Fwiw, if "everyone" gives up on gold (CB's included), then the price of gold will fall to $0. The CB's will first have to divest of all of their vaulted tonnage (30,000 tonnes) to suggest to me that "everyone" has left gold. 2013 will probably be another choppy and difficult year for gold and silver. It doesn't change the fact that there is still much work to do in balancing out the price of gold against the world's sovereign debt.

Back in 1630's Holland, "everyone" did give up on tulips. The price of tulips has never returned near those levels since. image >>

This board is just one of several "sentiment" indicators that I use. None of them are bearish PMs.

<< <i>metals will strengthen when Debt Ceiling scare become front page again, not far away. QE, in some form or another (look for new names to distract the viewer), can never end until a new buyer of US debt can be found; this is very far away. >>

New buyers? We still have PLENTY of old buyers. If and when there is a need for new buyers, we only need to look into the mirror. Ask Japan.

<< <i>

<< <i>metals will strengthen when Debt Ceiling scare become front page again, not far away. QE, in some form or another (look for new names to distract the viewer), can never end until a new buyer of US debt can be found; this is very far away. >>

New buyers? We still have PLENTY of old buyers. If and when there is a need for new buyers, we only need to look into the mirror. Ask Japan. >>

Then why is the FED now the major buyer?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Wrong on facts again derryb. Japan, China, Brazil, ect are all buying US debt. As are US pension plans. The FED is a buyer, but not THE buyer. Stop scaring yourself. image

US debt is the safest and most respected of any debt on the planet. This isnt going to change anytime soon. And the higher rates go, the more in demand it will be, which will keep yields in check. But the the higher the yield, the more in demand the dollar becomes. Ask yourself why the EURO is so strong---because Italy, and Spain yield over 5%.

The USA is the worlds superpower, and until that changes, the US dollar and debt, will continue to be in demand.

<< <i>Wrong on facts again derryb. Japan, China, Brazil, ect are all buying US debt. As are US pension plans. The FED is a buyer, but not THE buyer. Stop scaring yourself. image

US debt is the safest and most respected of any debt on the planet. This isnt going to change anytime soon. And the higher rates go, the more in demand it will be, which will keep yields in check. But the the higher the yield, the more in demand the dollar becomes. Ask yourself why the EURO is so strong---because Italy, and Spain yield over 5%.

The USA is the worlds superpower, and until that changes, the US dollar and debt, will continue to be in demand. >>

Note that I said the FED was a "major" buyer. A buyer of 61% of 2012 US debt, according to the WSJ, it appears I am correct.

Blind faith makes US debt the "safest and most respected." Even the ratings agencies, while late to the game, are beginning to question it.

The FED is not buying US debt because they see it as a good investment. Stop fooling yourself. image

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    so whats your new gig, POM?...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>

<< <i>Wrong on facts again derryb. Japan, China, Brazil, ect are all buying US debt. As are US pension plans. The FED is a buyer, but not THE buyer. Stop scaring yourself. image

The USA is the worlds superpower, and until that changes, the US dollar and debt, will continue to be in demand. >>

Note that I said the FED was a "major" buyer. A buyer of 61% of 2012 US debt, according to the WSJ, it appears I am correct.

Blind faith makes US debt the "safest and most respected." Even the ratings agencies, while late to the game, are beginning to question it.

The FED is not buying US debt because they see it as a good investment. Stop fooling yourself. image >>

The opinion article that you so admire, is filled with so much twisted numerical fact that it renders itself to be a mockery of a joke.

The FED is buying debt not "as a good investment", but to keep the US dollar from ripping higher. Facts often confuse the misinformed.

<< <i>

<< <i>

The FED is not buying US debt because they see it as a good investment. Stop fooling yourself. image >>

The opinion article that you so admire, is filled with so much twisted numerical fact that it renders itself to be a mockery of a joke.

The FED is buying debt not "as a good investment", but to keep the US dollar from ripping higher. Facts often confuse the misinformed. >>

Ok, so the Wall Street Journal is now unrealiable. How about Bloomberg?. if they also twist numerical fact I'll see if I can get CNBC to explain it to you.

The FED is buying US debt that others are not buying, they have become the lender of last resort. The FED is issuing money because the US spends for than it can raise through tax revenue. The misinformed often fail to see the facts.

This board is just one of several "sentiment" indicators that I use. None of them are bearish PMs.

You must not use the Hulbert Gold Sentiment Index. It's around -5% right now. That means of the 2 dozen or so gold analysts that Hulbert follows none are bullish on gold.
    HGSI at -5% is at levels only seen about once or twice every year. Pretty bearish if you ask me. It's been as good an indicator as anything. And after this past week's dip
    to $1625 I'd imagine that the COT net short position will have dropped from around 188K to 150K. That's also bearish territory after finally unwinding those 60,000 shorts the
    commercials piled on in the last 2 weeks of August in the $1625-$1650 range. Silver's short to long commercial ratio dropped to under 2.00 last week, also bearish. And once
    the numbers for this week come out accounting for last week's Wed-Friday crash, I'd expect it to be around 1.75-1.85....very bearish. Silver rallies have typically started from
    the 1.7-1.9 range. Some of the PM trading blogs I frequent are woefully distressed after 3 months of this latest correction...very similar to last May and July.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by cohodk

When everyone gives up on silver and gold, prices will begin to rise again, me thinks.

Nothing like a good old fashion shake out.... So far I haven't really seen anyone give up on PMs

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry