Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Well, while we're at it, who are the 5 best running backs of all time?

I don't have the energy to list all the greats, but to me my list would be, in order:

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Emmitt Smith
Adrian Peterson (yes, I'm quite serious).
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have the energy to list all the greats, but to me my list would be, in order:

Jim Brown
    Barry Sanders
    Walter Payton
    Emmitt Smith
    Adrian Peterson (yes, I'm quite serious). >>

Jim Brown
    4 other guys
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Eric Dickerson
    Gale Sayers

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Jim Brown
    Barry Sanders
    Walter Payton
    Emmitt Smith
    Gale Sayers
    Marshall Faulk
    Eric Dickerson
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Adrian Peterson
    Marcus Allen or Earl Campbell
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Payton
    Sanders
    Brown
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to put OJ Simpson somewhere in the mix.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget to put OJ Simpson somewhere in the mix. >>

I started to but... image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • 1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton
    4. Adrian Peterson
    5. Eric Dickerson

6. O.J. Simpson
    7. Marshall Faulk
    8. LaDanian Tomlinson
    9. Tiki Barber
    10. Emmitt Smith
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    1. Adrian Peterson....yes I am very serious......I seriously doubt that anyone else in the history of the NFL could have done what he has done this season......plus if you watch him play he definitely passes the eye test.
    2. Jim Brown....I am basing this more on what people say about him because I never saw him play
    3. Emmitt Smith.....yeah yeah I know a lot of people say he has monster numbers because he played on such a great team with a great O-line, but don't forget about the season he held out and Dallas started off 0-2. He was a beast and although he did play on a great team, he was the best player on that team and his numbers are even better in the playoffs.
    4. Barry Sanders.....I probably rank him lower than most people because in my opinion he was more of a "me" guy than a "team" guy. There is no doubt that he was as spectacular as anyone, but his numbers went down in the few playoff games that he did play in and he definitely wasn't really known as a move the chain type of guy. I'm not trying to badmouth Barry, but just trying to justify why I have him lower than most people will on this list.
    5. Gale Sayers.....once again I am basing this more on what people that actually saw him play have told me.

Honorable Mention.....Bo Jackson.....if he would have concentrated strictly on football and stayed healthy I think he could have possibly been the greatest ever......
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Jim Brown and everyone else comment.

In no order, the others are Payton, Sanders, Emmett and...

O.J. absolutely needs to be on the edge of the top 5. Can you name a single other skill position player that he played with during his Bills career? And if you can, you're still reaching.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of great backs have played the game. It can be difficult to compare players from different eras. I think markj111 is spot on. Jim Brown is #1 and the other four are interchangable from a group of maybe fifteen or twenty other running backs. I would include Marion Motley as someone under consideration for one of the other four spots.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Jim Brown was asked if he could run for 1000 yards in today's NFL and he admitted that he could, but it would be tough . . . after all, he is 76 years old...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with the Jim Brown and everyone else comment.
    In no order, the others are Payton, Sanders, Emmett and...
    O.J. absolutely needs to be on the edge of the top 5. Can you name a single other kill position player that he played with during his Bills career? And if you can, you're still reaching. >>

There, I fixed it for ya! (Although I believe he deserves to be close to, if not in, the top 5.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Brown
    Payton
    Sanders
    Sayers
    Earl Campbell
  • I never had a chance to watch Jim Brown or Walter Payton or Sayers, so that's why they didn't make my list (I'm 30). All I have seen are highlights, but who doesn't look great in highlights?

1. Barry Sanders (by a mile)
    2. Adrian Peterson
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Marshall Faulk
    5. Tomlinson
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm the biggest Barry Sanders fan you'll ever meet...but like his father, I'll put Jim Brown just a hair ahead of Barry:

1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton
    4. Emmitt Smith
    5. Take your pick (Dickerson, Tomlinson, Simpson, Campbell)

I'm not ready to put AP in the top 5 yet, but that doesn't mean he's not knocking on the door.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    no love for Joe Washington?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Joe Perry is underrated as well. Dude is one of only three running backs to ever average 5.0 YPC with at least 1,900+ carries.
  • ap should not even be close to the top 5. One good season does not make him a legend
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Adrian Peterson one good year? LOL.....How about the fact that he has averaged 5 yards per carry for his career and has had double digit TDs ALL 6 OF HIS NFL SEASONS!!!!!! He also holds the NFL record for most rushing yds in a game with 296. He has scored 80 TDS in his career so far.....I'd say he is far from a flash in the pan......
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never had a chance to watch Jim Brown or Walter Payton or Sayers, so that's why they didn't make my list (I'm 30). All I have seen are highlights, but who doesn't look great in highlights?

1. Barry Sanders (by a mile)
    2. Adrian Peterson
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Marshall Faulk
    5. Tomlinson >>

Come on, no Jim Brown? I know you're only 30, but spend a little time on this thing called the internets to bond with Jim Brown. And don't kid yourself: Joe Buck doesn't look good in highlights. And neither does Tim McCarver.

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    1) Payton
    2) Sanders
    3) Brown
    4) Sayers
    5) Allen
  • Brown
    Sanders
    Payton
    Dickerson
    Tomlinson

Brown was before my time so all I've seen of him is old footage...not the same as watching it as it happened. Sanders I consider the best I've seen....I'll never forget watching him juke so many people right out of their clothes. Emmitt was good, but I can't forget how he always had a top notch offensive line in front of him. Sanders, on the other hand, retired too early and was almost always on losing teams that didn't have a quarterback.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • I am going to base my list not on overall career, not on stats, not on how many championships. But if I had to get the ball into somebodies' hand on any given play, who would consistantly gain the most yardage in their prime! With that thought, here is my list:

1) Jim Brown (by a ton!)
    2) OJ Simpson
    3) Walter Payton
    4) Barry Sanders
    5) L Tomlinson

Honorable Mentions: Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk (great receiver), A Peterson, Motley (never saw him play but watched a special on him 1 time & he looked unstopable)
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    Great and fun topic to dispute!

1) Barry Sanders (Seems as he never had the O-Line and he still made huge plays)
    2) Adrian Peterson (Might be that he's still current and been on my fantasy team two years in a row, but I love watching him put up numbers, especially this year , WOOF!)
    3) Walter Payton (Hard to dispute Sweetness, he really could be the greatest)
    4) Jim Brown (I was born 14 years after his last game, but I've seen a lot of footage. Wish he played in this era to see what he could do now)
    5) Emmit Smith (He very well could lead the bunch here, but the O-Line really gave him an edge that none of the other guys had.)

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    This is a very different type of list than the QB list. While quarterbacks are judged by championships and winning Super Bowls, Running Backs do not carry that burden. I almost look at Running backs the opposite. The better they were and the worse the teams they played on, the higher regard I hold them:

Jim Brown-The more I learn about the guy the more I am amazed.

Walter Payton-He did it year after year on terrible teams. A One man show

OJ Simpson-Another guy that had terrible teams and never played for a winner, yet found a way. Such a gifted athlete. He also is really good with knives from what I understand

Eric Dickerson-This guys just carried the Rams in the mid-80's. He was the entire offense and was so good

Adrian Peterson-The legend is growing after this remarkable year coming back from an injury no one thought he could come back from

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    not near enough Earl Campbell recognition here
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    1) Jim Brown, 5.2 average per carry
    2) Adrian Peterson, 5.0 average per carry
    3) Barry Sanders, 5.0 average per carry
    4) Walter Payton, 4.4 average per carry
    5) Emmitt Smith, 4.2 average per carry

I like the Power & Speed guys better...

Running Backs with excellent yards per carry averages...

1) Jamaal Charles, 5.8
    2) Bo Jackson, 5.4
    3) Mercury Morris, 5.1
    4) Joe Perry, 5.0
    5) Gayle Sayers, 5.0
    6) DeAngelo Williams, 4.9
    7) Robert Smith, 4.8
    8) Felix Jones, 4.8
    9) Napolean Kaufman, 4.8
    10) Lenny Moore, 4.8
    11) Greg Pruitt, 4.7
    12) James Brooks, 4.7
    13) Chris Johnson, 4.7
    14) Hugh McElhenny, 4.7
    15) Wendell Tyler, 4.7
    16) Tiki Barber, 4.7
    17) Jonathan Stewart, 4.7
    18) OJ Simpson, 4.7
    19) Terrell Davis, Lesean McCoy, Maurice Jones-Drew, Frank Gore, Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes, Brian Westbrook, Terry Metcalf, William Andrews @ 4.6 yards per carry...

Makes you wonder how many of these guys could have stepped into Emmitt Smith's situation and thrived. But you have to tip your cap to Emmitt, he lasted a long time & there's a lot to be said for that.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

• << <i>Lots of great backs have played the game. It can be difficult to compare players from different eras. I think markj111 is spot on. Jim Brown is #1 and the other four are interchangable from a group of maybe fifteen or twenty other running backs. I would include Marion Motley as someone under consideration for one of the other four spots. >>

I agree. It's impossible to list just 5. There are players from a bygone era that none of us have seen play like Red Grange and Jim Thorpe. JMO but its Jim Brown and 20 - 25 other greats, most of whom have been listed here.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • 1 Jim Brown
    2 Walter Payton
    3 Barry Sanders
    4 Marshall Faulk
    5 Eric Dickerson
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ap should not even be close to the top 5. One good season does not make him a legend >>

I know its only 1/1/13, but this is easily the dumbest comment I've read so far this year. One good season? Is this your first year watching pro football?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

For me,
    Brown
    Sanders
    Eric Dickerson
    Payton
    Juice
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Ron,
    Great thought provoking question and some really great answers. I think the top three are obviously Sanders, Payton and Brown but the last two poises a problem for me. I grew up watching Emmitt so I am trying not to be biased. I think after last weeks game I would be so wrong not to put Adrian Peterson at #4 best RB. What an amazing year he has had and to be able to do this with a zero QB is unbelievable. The last place is between Dickerson, Faulk and Emmitt. I guess #5 for me would be Faulk.

Hope you are well my friend.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown
    Adrian Peterson
    Walter Payton
    Earl Campbell
    Barry Sanders

And on this list AP can only increase his status.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    If runningbacks include fullbacks Nagurski and Taylor should get some love.
    Nathan Wagner
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I agree with a few of the other posters about Jim brown. I never saw him play but the consensus seems to be he is the best so I'm just going to accept that and consider him a top 3 back. The other back I never saw but have to include us OJ. 2000 yards in a 14 game season is really impressive. That coupled with the fact that his team sucked and opposing defenses still couldn't stop him puts him in my top 5. The best pure runner and exciting back I have ever seen was Barry sanders. If he didn't retire early he would have prob set the all time rushing record. The knock on him was his goal line play and td totals. It's tough to consider a guy top 5 of all time when he gets benched in goaline situations but his running was so superior... In giving him the nod. I know Emmett played on great teams but as an eagle fan I know he deserves to be in the top 5. He killed the eagles and the rest of the NFC in the early to mid 90s. Nobody closed out games better than him. The game he had against the giants to clinch the devision and first round bye was one of the most dominating games I've seen any player have in any sport. The 5th spot is tough. I think I would have to give it Peterson. I know his career isn't complete yet but what he has done so far has been very impressive. 4 more years of this kind of production and perhaps some post season heroics would solidify his spot. If you don't want assume he will continue on thus path then I would go with LT.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • No idea what happened to my previous attempt to post this but here goes again:

1. Barry Sanders
    2. Jim Brown
    3. Walter Payton
    4. LaDainian Tomlinson
    5. Adrian Peterson

I give Barry's performance on mediocre teams extra weight and discount some of what Jim Brown did based on him playing surrounded by HOF players (& coach) and being preceeded by a HOF RB Marion Motley and succeeded by a HOF RB Leroy Kelly, so as great as he was some of his success could have been system based. Also Barry fumbled the ball a lot less than Jim Brown did.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown
    Barry Sanders
    Walter Payton
    Eric Dickerson
    Marshall Faulk
  • It's hard for me to compare RB's who played when black players - obviously a huge talent pool - were scarce to modern day players. With that said, I think most the choices listed already are good ones, and could be interchanged a 100 ways. Personally, I think Sanders could've been the greatest had he played a full career, but who knows?

OJ
    Sayers
    Brown
    Emmitt
    Sanders
    Payton
    Campbell
    Dickerson
    Tomlinson
    CuMar

So many great backs!
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    LaDainian Tomlinson

HUH!

I'm sorry but in my mind he is not in this discussion. Not even in the top 10, nevermind the top 5
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    1. Jim Brown
    2. Walter Payton
    3. Barry Sanders
    4. OJ Simpson
    5. Emmitt Smith
    6. Gale Sayers
    7- Earl Campbell
    8- Marshall Faulk
    9- Adrian Peterson
    10- Eric Dickerson
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

• << <i>

<< <i>ap should not even be close to the top 5. One good season does not make him a legend >>

I know its only 1/1/13, but this is easily the dumbest comment I've read so far this year. One good season? Is this your first year watching pro football? >>

your kidding right? He's led the league in rushing yards twice and in the other years has barely made the top 5. If we go by your assumed logic Alfred Morris will be a better back in his career.

• << <i>LaDainian Tomlinson

I'm sorry but in my mind he is not in this discussion. Not even in the top 10, nevermind the top 5 >>

Fair enough, but he was completely dominant as a runner and receiver for many years. How many guys were more dymanic on offense during his heyday?

Edit: He's not in my top 5 either, but he still ranks as an all-time great RB in my eyes.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Jim Brown
    2. Walter Payton
    3. Barry Sanders
    4. OJ Simpson
    5. Emmitt Smith
    6. Gale Sayers
    7- Earl Campbell
    8- Marshall Faulk
    9- Adrian Peterson
    10- Eric Dickerson >>

We're perilously close to agreement image

Your top 3 matches mine and your 6-7 guys are my 4-5s. I didn't make a Top 10 but Faulk (who I loved even when he was at SD State), Dickerson and O.J. would definitely be on it.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know its only 1/1/13, but this is easily the dumbest comment I've read so far this year. One good season? Is this your first year watching pro football? >>

your kidding right? He's led the league in rushing yards twice and in the other years has barely made the top 5. If we go by your assumed logic Alfred Morris will be a better back in his career. >>

Barely made the top 5? But he did, right? BTW - Payton only one 1 rushing title...rushing titles are nice, but not necessarily indicative of a players career.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • payton has a super bowl ring and oh yeah a mvp award lmk when ap has those
  • The most talented running back I've ever seen is Barry Sanders.

If he ever got the chance to run behind a competent offensive line and not have to run against stacked boxes his numbers would be even more staggering.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>payton has a super bowl ring and oh yeah a mvp award lmk when ap has those >>

So now a guy has to have an MVP Award and a Super Bowl ring to be considered a top-ten all-time back? lol Your lack of logic amazes me.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown a very distant #1.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Brown a very distant #1. >>

LOL I always get to see this nonsense posted every single time this topic pops up