Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fiscal Cliff --- I've fallen and I can't get up

image Throw the bums out next election! Post a coin that's symbolic of this crisis!

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, one more delaying action.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, not withstanding the national debt issue, I am pretty pleased how things turned out....espectially the income levels for keeping current taxes
    on earned income and dividend income ( max 35% for couples under $450k and 400k filing individually).....tax on dividend income will stay at 15% and above those levels goes to 20% ......thats alot better than the 39.6 that was suppose to kick in.

I see a huge rally in dividend paying stocks coming.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still gotta be voted on by both houses of congress. Fat lady hasn't yet sung.

<< <i>Post a coin that's symbolic of this crisis! >>

How about a note:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That about sums it up...

just afew footnotes

The rally in dividend stocks will come and go depending upon the decline in unemployment- due in part because for that strategy to work, the investment should remain parked in the stock for a reasonable period of time- 2-4 years minimum.

Unemployment is the key as to whether or not interest rates are going to advance. If unemployment drops to 6 to 6.5%, interest rates will slowly advance to more realistic levels and that may set a ceiling on how dividend stocks play out. That could change depending upon corparate earnings as well as stock buyback plans that most companies seem to have in place.

So in summary, how many folks have $$$ to tie up for 2-4 years? I suspect the answer is not that many so the next question seems to be- whom do you trust with your money? Your bank or certain fortune 500 companies that are currently in a position to pay anywhere from 2.5% to 4% dividends?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unemployment is the key as to whether or not interest rates are going to advance. If unemployment drops to 6 to 6.5%, interest rates will slowly advance to more realistic levels and that may set a ceiling on how dividend stocks play out. That could change depending upon corparate earnings as well as stock buyback plans that most companies seem to have in place. >>

That's assuming the FED maintains control of interest rates. Bond market, depending on view of the dollar and opinion of US financial stability, could take control of rates and rain on the FED's (and government debt interest) parade. Loss of control of interest rates will be the nail in the coffin for the FED. Keep in mind that ZIRP policy makes the interest on soverign debt almost managable. The FED, in support of their Washington partners, is comitted to indefinite ZIRP.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file