Home U.S. Coin Forum

Recent additions to My Trade Dollar Set

As you all know I have a pretty signal track collection and it has been a fun ride with all of the collectors and hobbyist I have met being by far the most rewarding part of the hobby for me. I was lucky and was able to tag along with some of the LSCC guys during Seated liberty Fest a year and half or so ago and they gave me invaluable advice about coin selection, matching, market preference, grading, Dealer networks and levels and what not. It came at a good time in the hobby for me as I was starting to round out my set and the added direction along with some great friends made allowed me to not only complete my set save for a few 2nd tier varieties but start the process of shifting it from an EF set to an AU set (not the cheapest way to go but the up market kept it from being to painful) while focusing my money and time on quality on the keys.

The set as a whole is in a spot that I am pretty happy with towards its completion % and pictures and presentation. While I still have targets and upgrades in mind and will never pass up a perfect up grade, I am in the home stretch (wife is in her 3rd trimester) of my 2nd and last kid with a baby girl on the way. I suspect I will need a little time as my family grows and our space needs follow suit where I will have my purchasing power diminished or at the very least re-prioritized.

I offer up my showcase to the forum as a picture variety reference set for the series and your feed back is welcome as always. Happy New years to all of you. you all have made my collecting ride so very enjoyable and I could give back more to the forum.

My Collection Here

Thank you and Happy New Year
John Coyle Aka Crypto79

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty dang cool set and is something worth examining for those who would like to learn more about the details of the set.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi John, I want to just say that your collection shines, it truly does!
    It shows the care and complete understanding of this beautiful series.

I have always loved the Trade $ and although I do not have one as of yet for my type
    set you have been extremely helpful in helping me get thereimage

Just by looking through the images and descriptions one can see the true passion you have and I congratulate that passionimage

Stefanie

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set of Trade Dollars you have assembled.

Mike
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice collection and display. Good luck on your second child, just had our second girl about 10wks ago. Amazing how priorities change once you have children.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super collection...... Cheers, RickO
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

The set and the presentation reflect a lot effort.
    Congrats and thanks for this terrific POTD (IMHO). image
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic collection image

Without the Trade Dollar gurus such as crypto on this forum, I probably would never have begun my collection.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be obvious that my set drew inspiration from John's. What isn't known by most of you is how many hours of chats and PM's John spent educating me. It's been a lot of fun and I am truly grateful.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great set of Trade $'s John. I too owe many thanks to Crypto for the knowledge he has shared with me in my quest to put together a date and MM set of Trade $'s. image
    Trade $'s
  • imageimageimage

Very nice set!!!!!!

because of you and other people on this form I have started my own set of trade $
    so far I have 4 that I have made myself and have been working on it for almost 2 years
    1873-P AU 53 NGC
    1875-P XF 45 I/II NGC
    1876-S AU 53 I/II NGC
    1876-S AU 50 II/II NGC

Thank You Papabear image
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Done John!

That '76 2/2 PCGS-61 would be a highlight for me too. My Centennial Year set would love that! And the '78-CC is the most attractive circ. I've ever seen ! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I am more impressed by the coins or by the incredible amount of knowledge necessary to put together the descriptions. Congrats on a beautiful set any which way.

Sorry to butt into the thread, but I have a question regarding chopmarked trade dollars. Are they commonly bowed as a result of the chopping? I picked up a chopped 1875-CC recently in a NGC holder that is somewhat bowed. Thanks!
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    An excellent and inspiring collection! Thanks for sharing....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • thank you for the kind words everyone.

Some of the Highlights
    76p type 2/2 which is a condition census piece Top 3 most likely
    75p type 1/1 Very Very rare
    75 s/cc simply a brilliant example of the classic Redbook Var that is IMO the best over mintmark in all of American coinage
    77p in AU55 is most likely my best preserved coin with the highest eye appeal, It is an absolute monster.

I have had many hours of Trade dollar conversations many of you and it is really where I enjoy the hobby most. It is the ones of you who listen to me ramble on that are doing the favor as for all I am concerned sharing is the only difference between collecting and hoarding.

• << <i>
    Sorry to butt into the thread, but I have a question regarding chopmarked trade dollars. Are they commonly bowed as a result of the chopping? I picked up a chopped 1875-CC recently in a NGC holder that is somewhat bowed. Thanks! >>

Yes they are, the greater the force of the chop the more likely esp if toward the center and on top of an older one.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great set John! I have enjoyed viewing your set on many occasions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file