Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crack and Sub Results (BVG, BGS, & SGC)

I recently got some cards back from a piggy with bobbyw8469 (mad props) and wanted to share the results. We often discuss how PSA grades compared to Beckett and others. Personally, I have been moving my cards all into PSA slabs for many reasons, the least of not being OCD about the consistency of display!

The Chamberlain was cracked from a BCCG 7 and subbed to BVG with min grade of 5 or Authenticate.

This card was cracked out of a BVG 1.5 but I lost the old label.

This card was cracked out of a BVG Authentic slab but I lost the old label.

Hook'em

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I have to think that you are pretty happy with those new results. Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I know that people are always hating on BVG and SGC on here, but those grades are for the most part pretty consistent.
  • Options
    brownladbrownlad Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I agree with others that the grading seems consistent. Did you send them to PSA in the cases where they were able to see the other agency rating? I have wondered if that skews their objectivity (i.e. they grade harder--even if subconsciously).
    Cowboys Football or Walter Payton (any year)
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with others that the grading seems consistent. Did you send them to PSA in the cases where they were able to see the other agency rating? I have wondered if that skews their objectivity (i.e. they grade harder--even if subconsciously). >>

Nope they were all cracked & submitted raw. I was impressed with the consistency of the grades. I have a second similar bunch that I am now considering sending in.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    brownladbrownlad Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Good to know...I have been nervous about buying some BVG and sending them to PSA. I have my eye on a BVG card that looks great, but have been fearful that it will cost me a lot ($400) only to find out PSA thinks it is only a 7 or 8.
    Cowboys Football or Walter Payton (any year)
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this information. This may help me with my decission. Did you have any problems cracking the old cases? What do you think is the safest way to crack?image
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    From what I have seen, you will see a larger difference in the grades when it comes to higher end cards (7s or better). I've seen some pretty bad cards in a BVG 8 holder.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>I know that people are always hating on BVG and SGC on here, but those grades are for the most part pretty consistent. >>

+1 But that drop to a 4 on the Brown rookie sucks. image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I'd be very pleased with that consistency. My beef has always been when crossing the very modern shiny stuff.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Comparing the Brown to the Walker, it appears there is a wide condition band for what qualifies as a 4. The Brown, based just off the scan you provided, looks much stronger to me.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I know that people are always hating on BVG and SGC on here, but those grades are for the most part pretty consistent. >>

+1 But that drop to a 4 on the Brown rookie sucks. image >>

I would re submit.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    very nice grades imo
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work. That Banks is a pleasure to look at.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 But that drop to a 4 on the Brown rookie sucks. image >>

I would re submit. >>

The Brown will get cracked and resubmitted. I think it is a legit 5.

Hook'em
  • Options

<< <i>Nice work. That Banks is a pleasure to look at. >>

Thank you. It took me a long time to find a very low grade Banks that I liked. I think I bought it for $100-125.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing this information. This may help me with my decission. Did you have any problems cracking the old cases? What do you think is the safest way to crack?image >>

I use a box cutter and run it very carefully along the top groove three or four times until the seal is broken. Make sure the card/case is supported on a table edge. Sometimes depending how steady my hands are that day i will run the cutter along the sides also.Then i take a flat head screwdriver and carefully lift the top portion of the case off. I haven't ruined any cards yet but i did slice my hand open slightly so be carefull with the box cutter or whatever you decide to use to break the seal. If anyone has a better/safer way let me know!!
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    I've had great results "cracking and subbing" Crossovers on the other hand are a complete joke..

Only way to get an unbiased grade is to crack and sub..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for sharing this information. This may help me with my decission. Did you have any problems cracking the old cases? What do you think is the safest way to crack?image >>

I use a box cutter and run it very carefully along the top groove three or four times until the seal is broken. Make sure the card/case is supported on a table edge. Sometimes depending how steady my hands are that day i will run the cutter along the sides also.Then i take a flat head screwdriver and carefully lift the top portion of the case off. I haven't ruined any cards yet but i did slice my hand open slightly so be carefull with the box cutter or whatever you decide to use to break the seal. If anyone has a better/safer way let me know!! >>

BVG/BGS cases are obviously the hardest to crack safely. I have used several methods and tools over the years and have found the following to be the best method:

1. Use a pair of "Joint End Pliers" Sample of Joint End Pliers If you don't own one, it is worth spending $10-20 at LOW or HD to buy a pair if you are going ot crack BGS slabs over the years.

2. Take the pliers and crack and break off the edges of the entire case. This is only dangerous part as little pieces of the plactic can sometimes fly around your table! I start on a corner and work my way around. Once you have most of the corners broken the sides come off very easy and the case opens up in two pieces.

3. Remove the inner sleeve and cut the card out with sissors. I used to cut it out with an exacto knife but man I had a few scares with the blade being close to the card!

I like this method because it does not require any blades so you won't cut yourself and more importantly the card. Sticking a screwdriver as a wedge scares me as BGS slabs can take some torque to open. I have had a screwdriver slip and slide right into a card in the past. This is why I looked for a new method.

SGC cases are so easy to open that I don't use pliers. I actually do use a thin flat head screwdriver and wedge it at the label. A thin flat head is necessary instead of a standard flat head for extra safety to the card. It fits right in the SGC gap as opposed to a standard flat head that is slightly larger than the gap. Twist a few times, work towards the corners and slighlty down the side and it pops right open.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you consider to straighthen the left edge of the Hagen card? Looks like there is room and it is already a strip card....just a thought on an authentic card already

Rob
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great cards. I just started to look for a grange and Thorpe sports king card myself. Nice grades too. My biggest fear when cracking and subbing is that it will not get slabbed for trimming ect....
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here