Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No Holder on Babe Ruth SGC Crackout...

I recently piggybacked on a sub with bobbyw8469 and one of my cards was my 1920 W516-1 Babe Ruth SGC A. Any thoughts on why PSA did not slab it?

Hook'em

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Eloy...I would send it in again....I first thought they didn't grade the issue, but I am seeing some on EBay that PSA did grade.....very odd......

What does the note say under the PSA rejection sticker?? That is not my sticker or handwriting and it looks like it was put on by the grader....something about missing #?
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Good idea Bobby. I pulled back the label and all it had underneath was "Missing Card #" so I don't think that is the problem.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the damage is so bad, that they didn't even want to grade it authentic?? Still odd though, as I see one on Ebay now with a clipped corner. Definitely worth a 2nd opinion.....
  • Options
    my first thought was the card is too small with the name partially missing(even though they're handcut), but psa would've stated so.
  • Options
    "If the card is severely undersized and suffers in overall eye appeal, the graders may deem the card not suitable for authentication or reject the card as minimum-sized altogether."

Quite a bit of the bottom of the card is missing (the team name and position).
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    would like to see that in an authentic holder considering the premium paid...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    They probably did't know what it was.
  • Options
    Some interesting thoughts.

I don't expect it to get a number grade due to the way it was hand cut but I think it should get at least an authentic grade. What makes this even more strange is the following card was also in the same sub:

I will definitely be looking to resub when I get the opportunity.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sticker says missing card #, and if you look at some full size examples on eBay, there is supposed to be a card number (#1) across from Babe Ruth's name. That appears to be why it did not grade at all.
  • Options

<< <i>The sticker says missing card #, and if you look at some full size examples on eBay, there is supposed to be a card number (#1) across from Babe Ruth's name. That appears to be why it did not grade at all. >>

Great observation and you might be right. However I found this one on eBay that is missing the card number but it has the full bottom:

eBay Link of card missing #

Maybe the grader wanted one or the other?
    Hook'em
  • Options
    They slabbed this one though.
    link
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They slabbed this one though.
    link >>

Maybe when you're a $20 Arty Fletcher PSA lets you slide.
  • Options
    should have been HC "authentic" IMO Missing the bottom of the card under ruth's name
  • Options
    PSA has gotten a lot stricter recently with regards to numbers being cut off the card and not slabbing them. That W516-1 Ruth on ebay that was shown earlier is mine, btw, and one that I had sent into PSA and gotten slabbed. However, I sent in this card a while ago, and it also got rejected due to the "Missing Card #" reason. As you can see, you can just barely see the "1" in the card, but it wasn't enough for them. Link

I really hope the reason that PSA will not holder the card is because they don't want to have the same issue as the W516-1-2 and W516-2-2 Ruth cards, which look exactly the same, but the first uses the cards #1, and the second uses card #10. For these cards, you do need to see the full number, otherwise, it's nearly impossible to distinguish them. However, these cards are mirror images of the W516-1 Ruth card, which uses the number #1, and there is no corresponding #10 for this card that I am aware of.