Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Purchase of The Year

The first two came at me and I had no choice but to pursue, especially the hogmouth. I sold many pieces (and still am) to manage this purchase. I tried to image these during the afternoon and will try again tomorrow. The holder reflection takes away from the appearance. Here goes:

Emperor Leopold I (1657-1705) "The Hogmouth". Double (2) Taler. Tirol, Hall Mint. DAV-3247. A cornerstone of the collection. I haven't see one in GEM grade prior and doubt I will again anytime soon. Phenomenal specimen. NGC MS-65 and an upgrade.

ND (1626) Archduke Leopold (1619-1632) Double Taler Commemorating the marriage of the Archduke to the Princess Claudia of Medici. Hall Mint. DAV-3332. KM-639. Archduke Leopold, As count of Tyrol, 1626-1632. Busts of Leopold and Claudia right. Reverse: Wreath over eagle. Nicely toned, choice piece. NGC MS-63 and an upgrade.

1636. Ferdinand II (1617-1637) Taler. DAV-3110. Graz Mint. Part of the famous Dr. Hesselgesser collection. Rosey toning, small edge clip. Found this on ebay. PCGS MS-62.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that Leupold Double Taler is amazing. Congrats Z.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See the lion head on Leo's shoulder. Generally come a bit worn. Will try imaging again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nice coins, but I dislike the big NGC holder. They could have made something 1/4 the size of that holder.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing that talers like that even exist today. These pieces have found a good caretaker for years to come. Congrats on the huge deal.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its amazing that talers like that even exist today. These pieces have found a good caretaker for years to come. Congrats on the huge deal. >>

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Austrian talers in nice condition exist in quantity because many weren't spent. There've been hoards of them. I believe about 10 years ago a small-ish hoard of uber-nice condition talers surfaced.

That doesn't, however, minimize the significance of Zohar's acquisitions. His photography, however, needs a bit more effort for these. To be fair, I've seen the first two pieces in hand and I can attest that they'd be hard to image correctly because of their complex lively nature.

Nice job, Z!

Edited to add that I have a Fer-III, Graz, also with an edge clip. I've posted it here earlier this year.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His photography, however, needs a bit more effort for these. To be fair, I've seen the first two pieces in hand and I can attest that they'd be hard to image correctly because of their complex lively nature.

I'm not sure why you "need" to mention anything about photo skills at all.

Does it make you feel more secure to state that in some of your comments?

This is not the first time you've harbored grief over his photo skills.

Heck my skills suck too, big time!

The fact that he bothers to even post and share them is more than enough to just STFU which is as raw as I like to be image

Z your 2T would look better in our hosts slab - jmho - maybe try that - and congrat's..ye what a way to start the new yearimage I was one of the underbiddrs on your Dr H piece - if for anything overall appeal period - what a cool win!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moshe,

I think there's a bit of misunderstanding here. Zohar and I know each other (admittedly not life-long buds, but I'd definately not consider him some chat room stranger).

It's never occurred to me that he'd take offense at my comments concerning his photography, especially since he himself has also commented on his imaging. And I never said his skills sucked in general; rather, I'm merely noting that his images for the two coins really do not do justice to the coins and with good reason...

Anyway, I really think there's some misunderstanding here.

But, Zohar, if I did offend, then I apologize.

EVP

PS I really hope this thread doesn't devolve into personal issues and thus detract from Zohar's accomplishment.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Guys I wish I had better photography skills. Can't deal with the reflection and for some reason the large slab throws back more light that standard size. Sending it off to a pro is a scary thought as I am paranoid about anything being lost in transit. Will try again today yet not sure I can do any better.
  • Options
    Marc - would the PCGS slab hold a 2T?
  • Options
    EVP they won't detract - all good - you got the message so np and no harm done - we goodimage

Z if you need time to change the baby's diaper..do that first!

The Hogmouth should never ever take priorioty before your daughter.
  • Options
    I can do both at the same time!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins, Zohar! I agree that it is tough to photo coins in a slab. I know that the darker coin is hard to do correctly, especially in the slab.

The last coin is probably the toughest to get the true surfaces of to show the luster.

I have had many problems with certain coins to portray an in hand look.

I just sold one to a forum member that he bought simply on my word because I could not get rid of hair-lining that looked worse in the photos than appear in hand.

I would suggest that you use axial lighting on the slabs though.Like this. You can control the lighting without the glare from the slabs.

One other thing is to lower your aperture to f/10 and adjust your speed to compensate for the lower aperture.

-Dan

• Options
    Or another simple trick is to put a nickel under the camera side of the slab, focus on the center of the coin, and lower your aperture(higher f number) to make the depth of field deeper. That should get the reflection of the light away from your lens. -Dan
  • Options
    Tried again with some of the settings.

• Options
  • Options
    Here is the other one - as you can see I get the slab scratches

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    wow, awesome coins. The hogmouth is spectacular. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Here is another from the set which I just realized is a variety as the wreath on reverse is smaller than the other.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    amazing coins!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    never mind your wifey just posted;

" help me - my hubby has dumped the baby for hogmouth - yuck!"

seriously though how cool - love the detail on those collars.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    More amazing coins ... nicely done.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I just love the hogmouth and I'm seriously impressed by the double taler. Zohar my friend, you need to group your best coins in lots of ten, if they exceed that number, and ship them over to mgood3 for some serious imaging. You owe it to you, and you owe it to us too. Eye candy!Congrats, those Swiss talers translated into some incredible coins.

Happy new year! image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3