Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hammered Pennies of England: Difficulty Level?

I have recently started purchasing hammered pennies from England and thought it might be nice to do a set by ruler as far back as financially possible. Has anyone attempted or completed a set like this? Realistically, what price range am I looking at? I'd like to spend no more than $50 per coin, which may be very realistic for some rulers and completely hopeful for others.

Also, if there is anyone who has a good dealer in mind that would be of assistance to me, that would be a great help as well. I like to troll the Bay for coins but as I am discovering, there seems to be a very hit or miss quality to coins when it comes to certain rulers and denominations.

All help and advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $50 won't get you much of a coin. Even a very low-grade styca from the Kingdom of Northumbria can cost a bit more than $50, and they are the cheapest as a type.

The cheapest hammered pennies are from the late Anglo-Saxon period, where massive hoards from Scandanavia or Russia exist. An average circulated specimen will cost at least 3-figures.

Good luck.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    You can buy a reasonably nice assortment of mid-grade or slightly problematic hammered coins for $50 or less, if you're not particular about denomination. You won't get anywhere near a complete ruler set and you will have gaps in the chronology, but you can buy some nice coins. You may not be able to buy only pennies either, but you should be able to buy Henry III, Edward I-III, Charles I, Elizabeth and maybe a couple of others in that range.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking that I may have problems with many of the rulers but I also just wanted to throw the question out there and see what everyone thought. I'm glad that you are a little more optimistic than EVProwler! (I totally understand that EVP is only being realistic.).

Part of the fun for me is trying to find good coins at a good price so I guess the thrill of collecting will be even more pronounced in this case if I find bargains where there shouldn't be any.

I have a penny from Elizabeth I and James I so far.im pretty excited about this project.

Ha, no one is taking my stupid poll.
  • Options
    While a set would be awesome, for $50 or less you will probably end up with several holes that will prove impossible to fill at that price level. I'm assuming you don't want to go back further than Henry II, since before that you will find it next to impossible to find examples. Now if you up the price to $250 or less, you may have a chance to find a couple of the earlier pennies.

Please keep us updated on this, I'd love to see how it progresses.
  • Options
    I figure it is going to take me some time to find the latter rulers in grades nice enough to buy and cheap enough for my budget. Then as I see how things progress I may up the ante to include some more expensive earlier pieces.
  • Options
    I looked over the list I had for England's monarchs from Henry II and up, and now I'm thinking it may just be possible to put a set together for around that budget level. I've seen deals here and there on Ebay for various examples, it'll just take some dedication to sort through all of it to find the good deals. Best of luck!
  • Options
    $50 each will get you a nice run (many if not most from Henry III I to Charles II) but you'll run into serious problems with the hammered pennies pre-1216. Money aside, a very fun set to put together.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a list of English monarchs and historical periods that produced hammered coinage, with a rating on how "easy" I think it ought to be to obtain an identifiable specimen of any denomination from that monarch for US$50 or less.

William I : very difficult
    William II : almost impossible
    Henry I : difficult
    Stephen : almost impossible
    (Anarchy, including Empress Matilda): almost impossible
    Henry II : moderate *
    Richard I : difficult *
    John : easy *
    Henry III : easy *
    Edward I : very easy
    Edward II : easy
    Edward III : easy
    Richard II : moderate
    Henry IV : almost impossible
    Henry V : moderate
    Henry VI : moderate
    Edward IV : easy
    Henry VI second reign : difficult
    Edward IV second reign : easy
    Edward V : impossible
    Richard III : very difficult
    Henry VII : easy
    Henry VIII : moderate
    Edward VI : moderate
    Mary I sole reign : very difficult
    Mary I and Philip : difficult
    Elizabeth I : easy
    James I : easy
    Charles I : easy (if you include copper farthings)
    (Commonwealth) : easy
    (Protectorate) : impossible
    Charles II : easy

The coins marked with an asterisk are "short cross pennies" and all bear the name of HENRICVS, even when the king in question wasn't named "Henry". They look identical at first glance; you'll need an expert eye and a good guide book for hammered coins (Spink isn't really good enough) to tell them apart yourself. I have a couple of short cross pennies, labelled as "Henry II" by the dealers that sold them; it turned out they were both attributable to John. The problem is, of course, that for coins in the price range in question, the fine details on these coins needed to tell the differences between the monarchs may be obscured or missing; you might need to pay above your threshold, just to gain the certainty of actually having a coin from the particular monarchs in question.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's a list of English monarchs and historical periods that produced hammered coinage, with a rating on how "easy" I think it ought to be to obtain an identifiable specimen of any denomination from that monarch for US$50 or less.

The knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Anything pre-Henry II is not going to happen for less than $50, though you might get a Henry IV slipping under the radar disguised as a cheaper Henry. Aesthetics will need to be compromised to get even half way with this target, and as pointed out earlier, some will never happen.
  • Options
    Yes, well I sort of thought that the earlier I went the more expensive and harder to find each coin would be. But the search is half the battle and fun.
  • Options
    Also the bay is awash with copies, and they sometimes catch the dealers.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here's a dealer that has coins in your price range. Historic Coinage

• Options
    Thanks BS! I found some Edward I pennies that look great! Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a British (and English) monarch set, once, back when I was on a really small budget. (It was in the early 1990s). I focused on the monarchs from 1066 on up and attempted to get one portrait coin from each.

Most of my coins were less than 50 bucks, including several medieval hammered pennies. I did have some that were worth more than that. Probably my toughest was a penny of King Stephen, which was the only Norman-period coin I had. I never completed the set but I had a lot of fun with it, and I think I had everybody from the Tudors (or at least Henry VIII) on up. I had to settle for a non-portrait colonial-issue coin for Edward VIII, of course.

Some of the stuff I was buying for $50-75 back in 1992 or so would be well into the three figure range, now. I think I paid less than $100 for that Stephen Watford type penny but that was a lucky stroke even then (bought it from a dealer who strictly sold US coins).

You would have a challenge on your hands if you tried the monarch type set, but you could make good progress towards it, even on a modest budget. And most of what I learned about British history stems from the time I pursued that collection. It was fun and educational.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.