Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

xmas rack packs on ebay will it ever end?

i am amazed at how many xmas racks packs keep getting listed on ebay...is it me or do we just keep seeing more and more of them...it seems like every day there seems to be more and more 1957s,1960s and 1962s...now most of us here know this is crap and not real but who keeps bidding these things up and buying them? i now see plenty of them up in 3 rack lots and some of the prices for these fakes are just unreal...i know we say well if they are that dumb so be it but having these things to keep sprouting up is scary in the fact that people are getting burned...do they have the presses going on these all night? i just feel bad for the people buying these and thinking they have struck it rich down the road only to find out they are bogus...image

Comments

• Options
    In addition, it looks like these rack packs only have 12 cards for an entire rack pack. Thats $100 or better for 12 commons.
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    yeah my main question is some of these have alot of different bidders on these i know the cards have some value as commons but thats all your going to get
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when Murphy first touted these and they went for $500 or more...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah my main question is some of these have alot of different bidders on these i know the cards have some value as commons but thats all your going to get >>

People do not want to believe certain things.

They don't want to believe their house isn't worth what it was in 2006.

They don't want to believe they, and they alone, have found the holy grail on ebay.

This year at Christmas, I went to get my cousins 3 kids gifts with a max of $20 spending. I went to Frank and Sons and got the 14 year old a McFarlane Angels Puljos and I bought a PSA 8 1980 Nolan Ryan on ebay(they are huge Angels fans). I got the two younger kids a few newer packs and also tossed in a 1981 rack pack and 1984, 85, and 86 wax packs. When the kids unwrapped the gifts, my cousins jaw dropped. I had tried explaining to him a few weeks earlier that the stuff we collected growing up wasn't worth much, but he was insistent that there were cards worth something. Well, yeah, if you pull a 83 Gwynn with no flaws visable under a microscope, then maybe ya got something. LOL I really thought it was all in fun, and hopefully they do pull a key card. But they are not worth a whole lot, even if you do pull a HOF'ers rookie card.

Anyway, point being on these ebay auctions....people that don't know what they are looking at entirely stumble on those auctions of packs for really old cards and think they are real. And unless someone tells them what is actually going on, they are gonna believe they've stumbled onto something that no one else knows about.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Murphy may or may not have found a stash of repackaged cards made up for some retailer(s) in some prior period of time, but someone is still churning them out today.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Murphy's law...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    You can buy all of the holiday cellophane and header cards on ebay, then all you need is a heat sealer and you yourself can become part of the problem! image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can buy all of the holiday cellophane and header cards on ebay, then all you need is a heat sealer and you yourself can become part of the problem! image >>

But wait! You can also act as the consignment seller fencing this stuff to be part of the problem... Anyone remember the Mantle showing pack?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    great thread - I always worry/wonder what others are buying and selling...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...