Home Metal Detecting

eyeball finds

recently picked up an ecuador 10c and UK 2pence near a parking meter
thats always fun

anybody else have any recent eyeball finds?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than common cents in parking lots (three today alone), no..... But always looking... Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to think of anything good that I eyeballed recently. A couple months ago I saw a pair of fake D&G sunglasses at a swimming area. Also found a clad dime at coin star. So nothing too exciting
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say that my best eyeball finds recently were the 8 baseballs for my last two md outings.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got a $ 10 a few weeks ago
  • As I was digging the other day and was bending down to escavate my find, I noticed a shiny object about 5 ft away. It appeared from a distance to be a piece of foil. After retrieving my coin I walked over to the object and picked it up. To my surpise it was a VERY shiny 1963 Quarter. As a matter of fact it appears to be mint! I've only found 2 other buried silvers over my 5yr span of MDing!
  • I eyeballed a buffalo nickel in a till about a month ago.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some late-colonial and 19th century pottery and glass sherds on the surface at the last site I hunted. The metallic finds were a musket ball, a brass barrel tap, and a cool old key, as well as the usual unidentifiable big iron rusty-crusties.

I pick up the pottery, unless it's plain white. The sherds look good in an aquarium.

Speaking of eyeball finds, I haven't been fossil hunting lately but my buddy has brought me a few more nice shark teeth, including a few biggies. They recently graded the dirt road he lives on, and the dirt in the road is actually dredge material from the fossil-bearing deposits at the bottom of the sound, so it's got lots of goodies. It's raining today, so maybe that will wash out some more.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    8 baseballs! that's a good haul

Cool finds, it's always fun to find useful objects

LM - neat about the source aggregate having fossils!

I picked a very nice gastropod (snail) fossil out of a limestone this fall on a field trip, about 400 million years old and looks like it was alive yesterday
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Picked a dime out of a parking lot pot hole at the local pizza joint yesterday (warm enough for all that snow to start melting)- unfortunately it was only clad.
  • I use to live in Northern Colorado. Every school day I would walk the High School parking lots and some days I would find anywhere from 30-40 cents or less, and other days I got up to $3-$4 dollars. I talked my wife into walking with me one day even though she didn't really want to go, and wouldn't you know it....She found a folded up $5.00 dollar bill. She didn't offer to share any of it with me either. That was the first and last time she ever went with me. I am still looking for a $5.00 bill laying in the ground somewhere. I also found a five stone cubic zirconium wedding ring that I first though were diamonds. Now then.....A find like that gets the old ticker to fluttering with anticipation. I am now 79 years old and I can still go out and swing the coil for 6-8 hours at a time. I'm addicted to the hobby. MDH
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a 2008 Costa Rican 5 colones.image
    Becky
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to hear other grown folk talkin about pickin up change in the parking lot image

Usually if it's smaller then a quarter I leave it be. Rarely find quarters here in Atlanta, as the homeless population is rather high (big city big problems)

That said ... I have found some nice bills. Once I found a $20, and another time I found a $100. The Benjamin was lying right outside a bank, too. I was actually on my way to the ATM when I found it. I felt really bad picking it up but, it was a Sunday, so I knew there were no bank employees inside, and there was not one single car in the parking lot. I looked around for a while and even walked down to the street curb, to see if anyone was coming back for it, and waited a few minutes. Not a single person. So yeah, that was the highest-value eyeball find I guess. But the coolest was the 1886 shilling that I posted on here last Fall. Found that baby down on the Gulf shore. That's the coolest thing I ever found.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Hello,

While walking along the road in Schenley Park (Pittsburgh, PA) last Friday at lunch, I saw a small disc sticking partially out of the ground (I always try to watch the ground for round objects that could be coins, have found quite a few laying in the dirt). I have found several interesting items over the last few months along this road (several wheat cents, an old shoe shine tag). I picked the disc up and rubbed some of the dirt off. It was pretty crusty. I could see that it was not a penny, it looked like there were a border of stars around it. I saw a faint "V" on the back. It was a barber nickel! Once I got back to work, I eagerly went searching for something to clean it sufficiently so that I could get the date. I washed it and used some GoJo hand cleaner on it, which removed enough of the crud to get a date. 1903! I couldn't believe it!

I will definitely be detecting this area once it starts to warm up. This coin was sitting right on top, there has to be some good silver finds in the area.

It's my first Barber coin of any denomination that I have found and the oldest coin found searching to date. This supplants a 1902 Wheatie that I found in the Park a few years ago with the detector. I was able to remove a good bit of the crust (put it in a potato). Not worth much at all, but how often do you find a 110 year old coin just walking?

Clad

<< <i>Hello,

While walking along the road in Schenley Park (Pittsburgh, PA) last Friday at lunch, I saw a small disc sticking partially out of the ground (I always try to watch the ground for round objects that could be coins, have found quite a few laying in the dirt). I have found several interesting items over the last few months along this road (several wheat cents, an old shoe shine tag). I picked the disc up and rubbed some of the dirt off. It was pretty crusty. I could see that it was not a penny, it looked like there were a border of stars around it. I saw a faint "V" on the back. It was a barber nickel! Once I got back to work, I eagerly went searching for something to clean it sufficiently so that I could get the date. I washed it and used some GoJo hand cleaner on it, which removed enough of the crud to get a date. 1903! I couldn't believe it!

I will definitely be detecting this area once it starts to warm up. This coin was sitting right on top, there has to be some good silver finds in the area.

It's my first Barber coin of any denomination that I have found and the oldest coin found searching to date. This supplants a 1902 Wheatie that I found in the Park a few years ago with the detector. I was able to remove a good bit of the crust (put it in a potato). Not worth much at all, but how often do you find a 110 year old coin just walking?

Clad >>

That's pretty cool. I've made some neat eyeball finds over the years, but in terms of older coins, not quite as much. Twice I have eyeballed Buffalo nickels under similar circumstances as the V-nickel you just found.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eye balled a 1940 wheat back in the penny thingy. took a penny left 2 zincs (happily)
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    In my childhood days, I found a 1919 Mercury dime in a creek in the early 1970s.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Last year I was doing security checks after hours and found this:

I'm assuming it went in and got stuck, then eventually made its way out after everyone left.

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty lucky at finding money, in the past few months I found a $10 at a rest stop. Oddly, I stopped for no reason, got out of my vehicle and walked directly to it. When I was about 20 feet out, I saw it... I pulled out my phone and took pictures of it as I was walking up to it and realized it was a folded up $10.

The phone I took them with broke but I'm sure I can find them... More later,

Edited to add:

This is what I was looking at when I saw it:

Walked up and saw this:

Ray
  • I don't know if this counts but a fellow gave me a coffee can of Coin Star rejects and said to do what ever I wanted with them. So I sorted them today. I rolled $32.00 in clad dimes, quarters and of course nickels. I also found 5 silver Rosie dimes and 2 silver Washington quarters. and 1 40% Kennedy half. Also 4 President golden Dollars. Plus I still have about 1/4 can of Lincoln pennies to deal with.
    I would say a profitable couple of hours sorting and rolling.
    Molon Labe
    This April, 2011 coin I picked up was one of my most interesting "eyeball" finds.

And the oldest coin I've ever found.

Beats my oldest dug coin (a 1658 Spanish copper) by more than 1,200 years!

Of course I personally believe (despite the coin's advanced age) that it was dropped in the late 1700s or early 1800s, based on the site where I found it, and the other stuff I picked up very close by. So an ancient coin, but in a colonial era context.