Home Precious Metals

Boehner just tabled "Plan B" Now what?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• The Republicans just pushed Boehner over the cliff and they will follow.

Why do we make plans? We make plans, not to follow them, but to be able to change them. You can't change a plan without having one in the first place. Onward, and over the cliff, with Plan C,D,E,F...
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Taxes will rise for all, not just the rich. The super committee was created for this purpose, so neither side will be blamed. Just a dog and pony show now.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taxes will rise for all, not just the rich.

Taxes have already been increased, just not implemented yet. Obamacare is officially a tax, in addition to cutting back on medicare already. You can't dole out healthcare to 10 or 30 million more people, using the same staffing levels without cutting care for existing patients and increasing prices and taxes. The forced wealth transfer continues.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    When does free medical care start?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    It's only free if they don't find any problems. If they do, you pay a second time. Don't kid yourself - it's never going to be free, only less quality with less efficiency and at a much higher price. Congrats.

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both parties want a financial crisis so they can blame each other. That is why we have a two party system - so it can be the other guy's fault.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>both parties want a financial crisis so they can blame each other. That is why we have a two party system - so it can be the other guy's fault. >>

It's part of the fundamental restructuring of America.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Both parties will let us go over the cliff and taxes rise for everyone.
    Then Obama and the democrats will introduce and push through a "tax cut " for those making less than xxxx.
    No republican will vote against a "tax cut" , it would be political suicide for anyone actually to vote /be against a tax cut now.
    End result....just what Obama wanted.
    JMHO.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more

• << <i>Both parties will let us go over the cliff and taxes rise for everyone.
    Then Obama and the democrats will introduce and push through a "tax cut " for those making less than xxxx.
    No republican will vote against a "tax cut" , it would be political suicide for anyone actually to vote /be against a tax cut now.
    JMHO. >>

I've thought this for some time now, but felt that the Republicans must be aware of it, but hey, I'm looking at this logically.

We've been living on credit for years and the time has come to face facts, it's just a question of how much pain.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both parties will let us go over the cliff and taxes rise for everyone.
    JMHO. >>

Taxes will rise for everyone. Those who claim Bush tax cuts only helped the rich will be quickly educated by reality.

If I recall correctly mandatory spending cuts kick in as well. The so-called cliff is thus not all bad.

I don't believe the regime can force through a selective tax cut excluding its class enemies. It won't fly in the House of Representatives.

• << <i>

<< <i>Both parties will let us go over the cliff and taxes rise for everyone.
    JMHO. >>

I've thought this for some time now, but felt that the Republicans must be aware of it, but hey, I'm looking at this logically.

We've been living on credit for years and the time has come to face facts, it's just a question of how much pain. >>

x2. Republicans will look even worse when democrats call to lower taxes on middle/lower class people and republicans and cornered into supporting it in order to live up to their low taxes promise. Bad november for republicans.
    the cliff will make decision makers face reality instead of their own self interests. Bring it on.

• Republicans don't want it brought on because they don't have any cards to deal. That is why they are scrambling to stop it. We can't increase taxes on the wealthy or provide medical care for poor people like other countries-but we need to keep spending more on our military than the next 10 countries combined!
    Republicans do want it so they can blame it on the other party. I like that old movie line "all he wants to do is tell you your problems and who is to blame for them."

Bring the military home and put them in public schools. image

• This country isn't long for republicans. This isn't Reagan's America. This isn't your father's America. Conservatism is a dying breed. Demographics are changing. The country is becoming much more diverse, to the demise of republicans. There will be fewer Michele Bachmanns in government and more Barack Obamas when all is said and done in 20 years...we almost booted her (Bachmann) out this election. We'll kick her out in 2 years. If only we could vote Faux "News" out.
    I'd like to see how this sequestration thingie works. Any bets on how many exemptions there would be?

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>I'd like to see how this sequestration thingie works. Any bets on how many exemptions there would be? >>

The conspiracy theories continue...turn off Rush Limbaugh.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "I'd like to see how this sequestration thingie works. Any bets on how many exemptions there would be?"

As many exemptions as have been granted under the affordable health care act, more or less.

Edited to add: looks like about 1200 so far.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This country isn't long for republicans. This isn't Reagan's America. This isn't your father's America. Conservatism is a dying breed. Demographics are changing. The country is becoming much more diverse, to the demise of republicans. There will be fewer Michele Bachmanns in government and more Barack Obamas when all is said and done in 20 years...we almost booted her (Bachmann) out this election. We'll kick her out in 2 years. If only we could vote Faux "News" out. >>

Conservatism is far from dying, it's just being outpaced by folks getting paid to breed.
    This isn't your father's America. Conservatism is a dying breed. Demographics are changing. The country is becoming much more diverse, to the demise of republicans.

What an odd comment. Now we have the theory that conservativism is dictated by demographics. Very interesting for everyone here to ponder.

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are getting too political here, folks. Read the rules at the top of the forum.

I am mainly concerned with the effect that the political impasse will have on precious metals. I would have expected that the dollar would be way down and metals would be way up, but that obviously is not the case.

Ignoring the politics of the situation, could it be that going off the cliff would be good for the dollar because it would raise revenue and cut spending, which Congress as a whole appears unable to do? If that were to happen and continue to happen, would that drive metals down?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd like to see how this sequestration thingie works. Any bets on how many exemptions there would be? >>

The conspiracy theories continue...turn off Rush Limbaugh. >>

According to the Health and Human Services Department (HHS) 1,231 companies have applied for and received exemption to the new Affordable Health Care Act's restrictions on annual benefit caps. HHS says the healthcare waivers excuse about 4 million people, or about 3 percent of the population, from having to participate.

Seems the theories are real, alive and thriving. My money is on DoD getting the first sequestration waiver.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow I feel if they cut anything from defense it will be veterans benefits to heighten the drama instead of tanks or fighter planes . I saw a story on bloomberg yesterday that the army says it doesn't need any M1A1 abrams tanks right now but congress is trying to make them buy some anyway image
    I agree, it's all about softening up the American people so that they can do whatever suits them, which means increasing the budgets on both domestic and military spending programs. Never mind the "deal" over the debt limit that they all agreed to last year in devising the sequestration "compromise".

Captn, are you referring to my pointing out the troll's repeated provocations, or are you refering to his repeated unsolicited political commentary? I just want to be clear about what you have the problem with?

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Somehow I feel if they cut anything from defense it will be veterans benefits to heighten the drama instead of tanks or fighter planes . I saw a story on bloomberg yesterday that the army says it doesn't need any M1A1 abrams tanks right now but congress is trying to make them buy some anyway image >>

The M1A1 is an obsolete Tank that the ARmy has'nt purchased in years. They are still buying the A2 and hope to have the A3 ready by 2018...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    @jmski ... I am complaining about everybody why is trying to make this a political thread, which our gracious host has banned.

I am trying to figure out why gold has dropped so much in recent weeks, when the old traditional logic says it should be soaring due to uncertainty. Do the old rules no longer apply?

<< <i>I am trying to figure out why gold has dropped so much in recent weeks, when the old traditional logic says it should be soaring due to uncertainty. Do the old rules no longer apply? >>

Fundamentals still apply and remain as strong as ever. Metals being affected by year end profit taking combined with move to cash as debt ceiling uncertainty drives fear of the unknown. Also hammering metal strength is growing dollar index strength as dollar keeps floating to the top during the world wide currency race to the bottom. Seems everyone wants to weaken their currency to strengthen their exports which raises their tax revenue and keeps their citizens working.

I am complaining about everybody why is trying to make this a political thread, which our gracious host has banned.

I am trying to figure out why gold has dropped so much in recent weeks, when the old traditional logic says it should be soaring due to uncertainty. Do the old rules no longer apply?

Fair enough, you asked a question that totally revolves around the political process but expected responses that were to be purely technical in nature. I think this demonstrates the difficulty in separating the gyrations of the precious metals markets from anything and everything political - it really can't be done in an honest way.

I knew it would happen.
    jmski is correct, metal action is affected by political action. The question posed in the OP demonstrates this. It remains possible to discuss the affect on PMs without endorsing/blaming political personalities or particular parties. The results/fallout of the actions of these people and groups of people are what should be of concern here and we can discuss that without naming the guilty/innocent. This should not be a soapbox for political persuasion.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Somehow I feel if they cut anything from defense it will be veterans benefits to heighten the drama instead of tanks or fighter planes . I saw a story on bloomberg yesterday that the army says it doesn't need any M1A1 abrams tanks right now but congress is trying to make them buy some anyway image >>

The M1A1 is an obsolete Tank that the ARmy has'nt purchased in years. They are still buying the A2 and hope to have the A3 ready by 2018... >>

As I recall they just said abrams. I must have added the number part in. I found this link which talks about it.

army says it has enough for the moment

even when they try to be fiscally prudent congress won't let them. image what a system
    It's called "pork" and it is very fatty.

Until the stock market sends its signal on the "cliff," the cliff will remain. Equities appear to be crying out today.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posturing at it's ugliest..............I have a hard time even listening to any of these fools. Futternutter them. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Posturing at it's ugliest..............I have a hard time even listening to any of these fools. Futternutter them. MJ >>

My sentiments exactly.

• << <i>@jmski ... I am complaining about everybody why is trying to make this a political thread, which our gracious host has banned.

I am trying to figure out why gold has dropped so much in recent weeks, when the old traditional logic says it should be soaring due to uncertainty. Do the old rules no longer apply? >>

Captain,

To answer your question concerning the gold drop.... Jim Sinclair wrote yeaterday his explaination for such. Probably the best explanation I've read in a long time. Sinclair now believes his top of $3400 gold is too low.... geez. Could Alf be right? Also, many CIGA's believe we're in the third and final wave up for gold. It will be the highest rise of all the waves. The old traditional logic still remains, however flushing out US dollars, replacing with gold, maybe the yuan, takes some time.

I wish you peace in 2013.
  • MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's called "pork" and it is very fatty.

Very appropriate.... And if you are one whom is getting the benefit [or eating] the PORK.... It all tastes good! image
    @derryb ... sad but true!