Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Thenavarro's it's about time to sell (but not right now) thread ;) to fund law school

Some of you might remember me asking for some advice on taking the LSAT about a year and a half or so ago.  That started the ball rolling toward going to law school for me.   This past week, I was accepted into the Fall 2013 part time evening incoming class, with a small scholarship, to one of the two law schools in my area.  I am also currently in the application process for the other school as well.    Going to law school will be a major commitment for me of my time and resources.   I want to be able to take that path, without incurring any debt for my family.  With the scholarship I received, and by selling my signed rookie card collection, that should be a realistic, obtainable goal.  

If you start to see me selling stuff, it's not due to any tragedy or sickness or hardship or anything like that. It's due strictly to being excited and wanting to further my professional development and career, and being blessed to at least have the opportunity.

I literally have plenty of time to sale things, even spread out over 4 years if necessary,  so I don't plan on offering any fire sales or significantly discounted from market pricing deals.   However, if you've had your eye on something over the years, you might have a chance over the next couple of years of snagging that item.   I'm probably not going to actively solicit sales at least until I get back from the National Championship Game in January, but if you wish to start inquiring about anything, just shoot me a PM and I'll reply as I have time

Thanks for the fun and kind words y'all have shared in my signed rookie card thread here along the way.   It's been a helluva ride and I have a bunch of new additions that I haven't even gotten around to sharing here.    This is not a "leaving the hobby" announcement.   Quite the contrary, I enjoy the friendship, camaraderie, sharing, and fun that the hobby brings and will continue to be a part of that and of this board, and will continue acquiring and collecting, BUT, If I'm going to pursue my dreams, my family deserves for me to do it without incurring debt and this is my avenue to do that. 

GO IRISH!!!  
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Best of luck with selling and also law school!!
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Though, have you done the research on the job market? I realize its going to take you a long while to finish since your doing it part time, but the job market for lawyers is actually pretty crappy.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good luck. Though, have you done the research on the job market? I realize its going to take you a long while to finish since your doing it part time, but the job market for lawyers is actually pretty crappy. >>

Yep, my legal future will depend on election, not the typical job market. I will hang my own shingle or work for the DA's office for 4 years to get the prerequisites necessary to run for public office. In Texas, you have to be a practicing attorney for four years in order to run for either County Court at Law or District Judge or District Attorney. I'm fairly well entrenched in my local community and political scene, and I'm not too worried about my electability when the time comes. I've been a public official for the last 14 years already.

Mike
  • BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Very cool Mike, It's nice to pursue your dreams. Good luck and hope to read more about your political future down the road.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, Mike, I wish you the best...well, at least I do for after this weekend when our CU fantasy footyball playoff semi-final matchup is through, LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You know, Senator Navarro has a nice ring to it. Just sayin...

Good luck, Mike!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>

<< <i>but if you wish to start inquiring about anything, just shoot me a PM and I'll reply as I have time >>

Good luck on your endeavor ... and wrong forum! image >>

Pot,

Thanks for the good luck. I wish I had posted my line above about shooting me a PM into my sig line like you have with your eBay store. That way it would have not been limited to one innocuous line out of several paragraphs, but rather it could have advertised my sales in EVERY post I make on the main board like you do while calling others out. But, alas, I didn't, so go ahead and use the disgusted smiley face

Cheers,

Kettle
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>but if you wish to start inquiring about anything, just shoot me a PM and I'll reply as I have time >>

Pot,

Thanks for the good luck. I wish I had posted my line above about shooting me a PM into my sig line like you have with your eBay store. That way it would have not been limited to one innocuous line out of several paragraphs, but rather it could have advertised my sales in EVERY post I make on the main board like you do while calling others out. But, alas, I didn't, so go ahead and use the disgusted smiley face

Cheers,

Kettle >>

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God speed to you Mike! You have plenty of time after law school to get your collection back. Good luck!!!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If anybody can do it, you can. You seem to be the type of person who can accomplish anything when they put their mind to it. You're definitely one of the good ones on here, so I'm glad you're sticking around! Good luck, Mike!
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    You have some wrestling all stars I need :-) Since the solicitation is coming from the buyer you should be off the hook from the unofficial forum police here.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pot,

Cheers,

Kettle >>

BINGO!

Good luck Mike. You know what I'm looking for in the event that you have any that I need... Perhaps I'll add a link so as not to ask you to PM me about a potential sale.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Oh snap!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Good luck in the new endeavor, Mike. We'll miss hearing about the new acquisitions.

Just curious...which items from your collection are completely off limits?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Good luck in the new endeavor, Mike. We'll miss hearing about the new acquisitions.
    Just curious...which items from your collection are completely off limits? >>

Knowing Mike, I would say NOTHING is off limits, IF ....
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    GL Mike!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Mike!

Go Irish is right!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I wasnt expecting all the PM's I've received, I thought it would be like usual where I might get one or two a day, inquiring about an item here or there, but I've gotten a bunch in the last couple of hours. To answer some of the general questions:

1) I haven't developed a for sale or price list yet
    2) nothing is really "off the table" except for about a dozen cards that I've received as gifts that I will not sell, the Ty Cobb signed M113 that is my personal favorite, cards of my family, and the followings cards which have already been sold, 51 Bowman Mantle, Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay, Wrestling All Stars Amdre the Giant (been spoken for but hasnt been paid for so if it falls through will be available).
    3) I will try and respond to your PMs within a day or two of you sending them, but if inadvertently I miss one, I'm not trying to be rude, and accidentally just dropped the ball so please try again

Thanks!

Mike
    Mike: Just remember, when you go to the Notre Dame game for the BCS Championship, take the ROSARY beads...

<< <i>Mike: Just remember, when you go to the Notre Dame game for the BCS Championship, take the ROSARY beads... >>

LOL that one made me chuckle
    I thought it would. I might have to take Alabama and lay the points. And I'd even settle for a BACKDOOR cover... image

<< <i>I thought it would. I might have to take Alabama and lay the points. And I'd even settle for a BACKDOOR cover... image >>

What's the current spread?

Will be interesting to see how many times the Irish can stick it in the end zone

• TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Good luck to you in law school. It is a very selfless thing your doing.
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck with everything, Mike.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14

<< <i>What's the current spread? >>

Right now it looks like 9.5 and 41.5
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I really hope you're able to enjoy law school. I loved it. Many of my classmates hated it. The first semester is tough, but it can also be really rewarding. Enjoy it.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pot,

Cheers,

Kettle >>

imageimage

Congratulations and best of luck!
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought it would. I might have to take Alabama and lay the points. And I'd even settle for a BACKDOOR cover... image >>

Will be interesting to see how many times the Irish can stick it in the end zone >>

Congrats on the all access pass. Hopefully you can go in and out at your leisure.

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    you go navarro!
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. With your ability, ambition and sticktoativeness I am sure you will be successful. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>

<< <i>

Will be interesting to see how many times the Irish can stick it in the end zone >>

Congrats on the all access pass. Hopefully you can go in and out at your leisure. >>

Hey, given your background, you're not supposed to know of such things!!! image
  • will there be an official pricelist for everything or should we just pm on individual cards for prices, first come first serve?
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to make A's your first year, and lots of them. Unless you are an idiot savant, you'll need to hustle to get those A's. Some tips:

- kiss your professors' a$$e$ - it will help you during and after law school
    - find old exams and retake them in real time - each professor's exam is different, and is scored differently
    - stay focused on key course material, don't go off on esoteric side roads; professors do that because they are bored, but you'll be scored more or less on knowing the basics and "issue spotting", not understanding emerging trends, historical analysis, etc.
    - don't listen to what other students are doing/thinking, and avoid "study groups" at all costs; they won't be there to help you during the exams and will often try to undermine you
    - the second you finish an exam, move on to prepping for the next exam, don't think/stress about finished exams

I can't stress enough that you should be taking practice exams throughout the year.

Finally, if you treat law school like a full time job - 8am to 6pm, it is very manageable.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    mike
    good luck with law school, it will be tough but you may enjoy it, i did

best of luck if you need anything and i can help, just let me know, hopefully you will be able to check in here from time to time.

hope it starts with a great trip to fla.

GO IRISH!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>will there be an official pricelist for everything or should we just pm on individual cards for prices, first come first serve? >>

You can just PM. I don't have a price list as I really wasn't intending on going into full sale mode yet but the response has been a lot more then I expected. Some items will probably be held for auction as some of the stuff I don't know how to price and/or some of the stuff is wanted by numerous people (many that are friends and I don't want to referee between friends to see who gets what, but if any of that is the case, I'll let you know through PM)

Mike
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't you just be like the guy on Suits and pretend to have a degree? image

If we've learned anything about you it's that you're focused and motivated. That will serve you well.

Now I've got a good excuse to go back and look at all of your collection.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Best of luck in law school. Heck, compared to the CPA exam, law school will be a piece of cake. image

BTW, I don't even want to know about the all access pass. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, I don't even want to know about the all access pass. image >>

Consiglere Mike can fill you in.

<< <i>Best of luck in law school. Heck, compared to the CPA exam, law school will be a piece of cake. image >>

Someone has misinformed you my good man! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW, I don't even want to know about the all access pass. image >>

Consiglere Mike can fill you in. >>

I don't think so. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>

<< <i>Best of luck in law school. Heck, compared to the CPA exam, law school will be a piece of cake. image >>

Someone has misinformed you my good man! LOL >>

UNIFORM CPA EXAMINATION PASSING RATES - 2012

BAR EXAM PASSING RATES - 2011

I rest my case. image

Collecting:
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

disgust, indeed
    Not looking to debate you CPAMike ... but USUALLY people are still working full time (maybe take off a week or two prior) while they are studying for and taking the CPA exam.

MOST people who take the Bar Exam are not working at all and study full time (8 - 12 hrs per day) for MONTHS prior to the exam.

That may have something to do with the passing rates.

That's all I will add. Let this thread be about MIKE!

Again, don't want to debate. Have not spoken to you in a while. Hope all is well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Not looking to debate you CPAMike ... but USUALLY people are still working full time (maybe take off a week or two prior) while they are studying for and taking the CPA exam.

MOST people who take the Bar Exam are not working at all and study full time (8 - 12 hrs per day) for MONTHS prior to the exam.

That may have something to do with the passing rates.

That's all I will add. Let this thread be about MIKE!

Again, don't want to debate. Have not spoken to you in a while. Hope all is well. >>

CPA's don't debate. That's why there are lawyers. image

BTW, Mike is a CPA and going to become a lawyer so it is still about MIKE. image

Collecting:

• << <i>

<< <i>

Pot,

Cheers,

Kettle >>

LMAO...OWNED!! Good luck!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Mike.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Best of luck! Oh, and can I get two guesses for whom the following quote refers too? image

<< <i>Wrestling All Stars Amdre the Giant (been spoken for but hasnt been paid for so if it falls through will be available). >>

• Pot, Thanks for the good luck. I wish I had posted my line above about shooting me a PM into my sig line like you have with your eBay store. That way it would have not been limited to one innocuous line out of several paragraphs, but rather it could have advertised my sales in EVERY post I make on the main board like you do while calling others out. But, alas, I didn't, so go ahead and use the disgusted smiley face Cheers, Kettle

Best Reply Ever
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I've got a friend who went to law school a few years back. He wanted to be a high dollar criminal defense attorney, but got a taste of it, hated it and switched sides.

He's now an ADA in the northeast. He loves his work and is really fulfilled by it. (Well, except for the two weeks out of the year he has to carry the "homicide phone.")

Anyway, I really respect him for pursuing his dreams regardless of the finances or headaches involved in it.

Good luck in your travels to get where you're going!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.