How Iceland survived the 2008 crisis

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, priceless

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The smartest person I know about economic matters was saying we should let the banks
    fail and investigate for wrong doing back in '08. It was one of the few times I disagreed with
    him but now it's apparent he was right. I knew there was wrong doing but didn't suspect
    its magnitude at the time. I thought that the economy would tank if the banks went down.

At least the crooks wouldn't still be getting bonuses and government protecting them from
    higher taxes today.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 300,000 people and a country 199 miles square, it was far easier to do what they did than with a much larger, networked nation like the USA, UK, Germany, etc.

Iceland is only 10% larger than Maine, but with 25% of Maine's population. We could probably have done the same thing with Maine. But doing that on a scale of all
    50 states would have been a load. How many otc derivatives was Maine tied into? I bet it wasn't much. Basically, even Sinclair agrees that telling the bankers to take
    a high in Sept 2008 would have resulted in a catastrophic depression....probably world wide. Iceland was a tiny pimple on the 800 lb gorilla. It's good that he got that removed.

While I applaud Iceland's actions, doing that in nations with huge financial centers would have been a true shtf event. It would have been lights out...literally for months, maybe
    years. I could compare the pain to amputating all 4 limbs to "save" the patient. We're still going to end up limbless, but it will be one finger, one hand, at a time. We'll get used
    to it. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Iceland Sentences 26 Corrupt Bankers To 74 Years In Prison

eight years later and they are still hunting them down.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A shining example of how it should be done.....and truly exposes the corruption of

government...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

A shining example of how it should be done.....and truly exposes the corruption of

I think exactly one guy went to prison during our crisis

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bankruptcy law worked just fine until the bankers gained control. It's all about control. There's no longer any consequences if you're a big banker tied in with the Fed (if there ever really was).

You don't have to worry about bad loans or malfeasance. You get free money if you fail to keep up on your reserves. You get free money every time you create a loan, bad or good. Buy your very own senator! Keep the debt system going. A better skimming operation has never been conceived.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the people ever take back the country the bankers will likely end up in jail along with half the Congress from both sides of the aisle.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roadrunner.....a great explanation and an even better analogy.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Originally posted by: ricko

I think exactly one guy went to prison during our crisis

mark

Probably because he refused to share.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Iceland’s three major banks collapsed, it resulted in defaults totaling $114 billion in a country with a gross domestic product (GDP) of only $19 billion. In October, 2008 the parliament passed emergency legislation to take over the domestic operations of the major banks and established new banks to handle them. They did not, however, take over any of the foreign assets or obligations. Those stayed with the original banks, right into bankruptcy

The same ratio applied to US GDP would have resulted in $100 TRILL in defaults. That's probably in the ball park for what really needed to be accomplished to clean the slate. As it was, credit default swaps were reduced/defaulted/netted down by approx $20-$30 TRILL and MBS about $4-$7 TRILL, give or take.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RR's analogy on the size of Maine and population was good . The biggest difference of course is that they have their own currency. It often yieldied over 10% and was used as a carry trade instrument. People got wiped out in some trades.

mark