Home Metal Detecting

WOO HOO, GOT OUT TODAY! 3 Silvers including Walking Liberty Half!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
The weather held out good enough to actually get out. It was about 31 this morning, and the ground was frozen in some areas, but most areas were still easily diggable.

Started by wandering around hoping for something good and within 5 minutes a 1937 buffalo nickel came out. Decided to stick in that area and a few minutes later the e-trac signaled a deeper dime. After the initial plug was out, the pinpointer couldn't locate it, so after two more shovels, a large silver disc showed itself, "WTH? There's no way a Walker is sitting there??" It was, and it's dated 1917.

After a little while more, out pops a 1916 Barber dime. Then, later a pull tab signal actually turned out to be a 1943-P war nickel!

A little more wandering aimlessly netted an older flat button. This place keeps teasing that there has to be more older coins there besides the 1819 half real.

There a small chance of getting out tomorrow, but it is football day. So, it's possible that this really was the last hunt of the year. Also got a couple of junk rings today.

HH all. Good to get back out.

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew you wouldn't quit. Way to go. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a mint mark (D) I see on the reverse of the Walker?? Could be worth some bucks if it is.... Cheers, RickO
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I love how the grass is always greener on pcgs69's side! Even after "snow thursday, snow today, teens and 20s temps... " in .... New Hampshire

My grass is brown after days like that and I'm at least 75 miles south of him. I especially like how the fine, moist New Hampshire ("The Granite State") dirt ...er..I mean soil particles never move from the coin when its on the ground and then after it gets picked up!

All I ever find are 1918 Walkers, dang it !
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only does he have green grass the dirt is moist under it. Our grass is green but dry as a bone under it.

PCGS69 You still need to find that silver dollarimage
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Not only does he have green grass the dirt is moist under it. Our grass is green but dry as a bone under it.

PCGS69 You still need to find that silver dollarimage >>

That's cause he just had snow and it melted, wadda ya expect??!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually hadn't noticed the grass still had some green left! But the trees are as bare as can be.

Glad you like the "dirty" coin pics, haha. There's something about seeing them come out of the ground packed with dirt. You see some videos where people rub silver coins like they're scraping ice off their windshield...makes you cringe.

PPC, still looking for that silver dollar! That aluminum saddle ring thing you see in the pic gave a signal that really had me wondering. It was about a 3-48 or so on the e-trac... and I think silver dollars are around 1-40 to 1-42 or so (not sure, only air tested a few). Was surprised to see that ring pop out. Looks to be aluminum.

Was too lazy to get out today even thought it was beautiful (around 40). Since the last time I claimed it was the end of the season, that didn't happen, so let's say there's a 90% chance this is it for the year.

Ricko, there looks to be a little raised "thing" where the reverse mint mark would have done, but there's nothing that looks anything like a D, so I'm calling this a Philly.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a walker is good any day of the week. i sure havent gotten any in some time. congrats on the pick ups image
  • Nice work! Makes my silver Rosie and four Wheaties from my last outing look like chump change! image I will take ir though!

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better check that 'little raised thingy' close....and maybe visit Barnes and Noble and check the Cherrypickers Guide.....could be something unusual. Cheers, RickO