Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 OPC Baseball

Curious...has anyone ever even seen any OPC Winfields and/or unopened material.

I never even realized there was a Winfield until this AM. There have been a total of 36 graded with only 1 PSA 9.

We all know the OPC stuff in the 70's is quite a bit rarer than the Topps (and IMO undervalued but that's another story). But in particular, it seems the print runs of the 1974 OPC are much much rarer than any year. Partly because I never see them but also just look at the PSA population report.

1971 OPC 13,934
1972 OPC 6,869
1973 OPC 5,703
1974 OPC 2,436
1975 OPC 5,552
1976 OPC 2,325
1977 OPC 4,809
1978 OPC 6,341

The 1976 is actually less populated then the 1974. But there isn't that huge Rookie like with the Winfield in 1974. Interesting
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of PSA packs, but that's it. I bet Tim knows more...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1974 opc is scarcer than any other opc issue from the 1970s due to a production strike at the factory that year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    haha, it took a whole minute. you slacker!
  • Options

<< <i>haha, it took a whole minute. you slacker! >>

LOL, sorry my screen froze for a moment!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironically, I picked this one up at Coach's Corner - I found - when they went down hill - that if I search thru the fake autos - I have found good cards at very fair prices. I paid 77 bucks for this one - thought that was more than fair.

I agree on the 70s OPC - I have a 76 and 77T unopened - wish I had looked for earlier back when it was affordable.
    Mike
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1974 opc is scarcer than any other opc issue from the 1970s due to a production strike at the factory that year. >>

Wow, really interesting. Is that common knowledge? Amazing quick info and feedback. Thanks!

I now want a 74 OPC Winfield LOL

What about the 76 OPC? That seems rare too
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options

<< <i>image

Ironically, I picked this one up at Coach's Corner - I found - when they went down hill - that if I search thru the fake autos - I have found good cards at very fair prices. I paid 77 bucks for this one - thought that was more than fair.

I agree on the 70s OPC - I have a 76 and 77T unopened - wish I had looked for earlier back when it was affordable. >>

Will you accept 154? That's a quick 100% profit. You can't beat that
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

I agree on the 70s OPC - I have a 76 and 77T unopened - wish I had looked for earlier back when it was affordable. >>

Will you accept 154? That's a quick 100% profit. You can't beat that >>

Thanx for the kind offer - but I'm a collector - and almost never sell.

But, if it turns out I ever need a kidney? I'll drop you a line. image
    Mike
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a PSA 9 '74 OPC wax pack. I bought it raw about 15 years ago out of a full box and haven't seen them since.
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    BBCE was selling '74 OPC packs about a year ago. I picked one up during last year's black Friday sale. I believe at the time he said they were from a full box.
  • Options

<< <i>BBCE was selling '74 OPC packs about a year ago. I picked one up during last year's black Friday sale. I believe at the time he said they were from a full box. >>

Yes, I bought several myself and got a psa 9 and several 8s. I also have a few in first generation gai holders that were pulled from a full box.

• Options
    Lelands sold a full 1974 OPC baseball wax box about 10 years ago for $800.00
  • Options

<< <i>Lelands sold a full 1974 OPC baseball wax box about 10 years ago for $800.00 >>

That box if auctioned today would command 2k or more..

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 1974 OPC Winfield that looks like an 8 or 9 until you hold it under proper lighting and you can see a subtle bend in it that would bring it down to a 4 for sure, maybe even 3.5. I'll trade you that one plus $100 for your SGC 8.5 image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lelands sold a full 1974 OPC baseball wax box about 10 years ago for $800.00 >>

That box if auctioned today would command 2k or more.. >>

I'm definitely thinking - "or more" - Tim.

When I picked up some wax from Murphy - back around 1993 - he had full boxes from the early 70s - I procrastinated - unfortunately.
    Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys don't mind me asking, what were the '74 OPC packs selling for last year that BBCE had?

Many thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>If you guys don't mind me asking, what were the '74 OPC packs selling for last year that BBCE had?

Many thanks. >>

$65 iirc, which was pretty low actually.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I have almost a complete set. Picked up a bunch of stars on this trip

74 opc card stock is the worst.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Rather fond of this one:

Sorry for the tilt. Beautiful card, but a huge tilt by the clumsy scanner. D'oh
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    That Schmidt is a beauty. A classic. Hopefully no sheets surface in the future, so that baby can stay nice and rare.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Schmidt! I broke some 4 or 5 packs 74 OPC, and the best card of the bunch got a 7. Horrific cuts and centering. Picked up a couple of 76 OPC wax boxes from Mark Murphy some 15 plus years ago, busted both. Graded the best of the lot. Had a at least one 10, probably 2, had a good number of 9's. Still have a good number that would 8. Aaron and Brett had horrible centering, same with the Ryan. Wish I had left the boxes alone.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Hiya Marc

Beautiful card!

I removed the tilt. Didn't want anyone to get dizzy or anything.
    Mike
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my best for 1974.

• Options
    That is a great Ryan. Most of the horizontal cards are o/c.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    here's my toughie.
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I want the PSA 9 Winfield please
  • Options
    I haven't been able to find the 3 cards I want in and 8 or better
    I haven't got better than NM on any of them
  • Options
    What 3 cards might those be?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

When I picked up some wax from Murphy - back around 1993 - he had full boxes from the early 70s - I procrastinated - unfortunately. >>

You guys inspired me. Picked up a 1974 OPC wax box last night. After doing as much digging as possible, I couldn't find an example of a box being publicly sold in the last seven years (amazing!), so I took the plunge. Not the best condition, but I wasn't sure when I'd see another example. It did cost me a few hundred over $2K.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

When I picked up some wax from Murphy - back around 1993 - he had full boxes from the early 70s - I procrastinated - unfortunately. >>

You guys inspired me. Picked up a 1974 OPC wax box last night. After doing as much digging as possible, I couldn't find an example of a box being publicly sold in the last seven years (amazing!), so I took the plunge. Not the best condition, but I wasn't sure when I'd see another example. It did cost me a few hundred over $2K. >>

Nice work. Where did you find it?
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Just to throw something in, here is the first page of my 74 OPC set. Unfortunetly I only have one wax box of 74.

Jim

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options

<< <i>Just to throw something in, here is the first page of my 74 OPC set. Unfortunetly I only have one wax box of 74.

Jim

image >>

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Nice work. Where did you find it? >>

I found it on Hunt Auctions.
  • Options
    I have about about a dozen or so PSA and GAI graded 74 OPC packs...definitely one of the tougher issues to find.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim

image >>

image >>

Are all OPC cards cards from up north upside down like these ?
  • Options
    Congratulations Scott. I trust Hunt Auctions - did anyone authenticate the box?

Would like to have a 74 and 75 OPC box.

I do have the 76 and 77 OPC - as I've talked about in my thread on the 90s and collecting.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I have about about a dozen or so PSA and GAI graded 74 OPC packs...definitely one of the tougher issues to find. >>

Entirely too many. You should allow me to share some of that burden for you, Tim. image
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Normally they are but I rotated it for you since you are having difficulty reading upside down.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim

image >>

image >>

Are all OPC cards cards from up north upside down like these ? >>

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Mike - Love those '76 and '77 boxes. Nice! I was under bidder on the 1976 OPC wax box. Tried my best. I don't believe the boxes were authenticated but, like you said, Hunt has a strong track record and stands behind their sales.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have about about a dozen or so PSA and GAI graded 74 OPC packs...definitely one of the tougher issues to find. >>

Entirely too many. You should allow me to share some of that burden for you, Tim. image >>

LOL, there's something about 1974 OPC that makes me continue acquiring them!