Home Precious Metals
Options

Somewhat OT, Help ID silver plate flatware marks *new pics added*

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know the EP stands for electroplate but that's about all. Any help with maker, age or value would help.
The box measures 7.5"x3"x1" and is wood with what appears to be a black paper covering.
Thanks!

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the maker but this site has quite the list of marks / makers and if you cant find it you could pose a question to that sites message board.

All Makers Marks
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't write that off as electroplate, unless it's covered with a very thin film of gold.

If those are silver (hard to tell from your image), that could be a maker's initials. I don't know that I've ever seen hallmarks on something just silver plated. Without seeing it in hand, based on appearance of the pieces and the box, and without being able to make out your image well, my gut says it's sterling.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Hhhmm. Looks like abalone handle. Maybe covers a ferrous metal handle shaft? Don't know, just seems strange.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't write that off as electroplate >>

Weiss could very well be correct.

see example in picture from web site I mentioned before, this EP, though perhaps not the exact same as yours, isn't refering to electroplate.

JC

• Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    This is sterling
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A close up of all the Hallmarks might be helpful in identifying your flatware. I also doubt that the EP stands for Electro Plate.

Does your silverware have any of the below Hallmarks, other than the EP?

imagepossible reference
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't appear to be cheaply made. I didn't think it looked electroplate, I just went with "EP" being electroplate.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    --
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't appear to be cheaply made. I didn't think it looked electroplate, I just went with "EP" being electroplate.
    image >>

Round corner radii cartouche shape of the hallmarks suggests modern. Appearance of copper at the pinch point. I'm going with EP over copper, seashell handle.

No idea of the maker.

MHO.