Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**UPDATE** A DIFFERENT GTG with Poll...and photos of two coins. Did PCGS get it right?

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
Both coins are graded by our lovely host. One needs to get in a for spot review(near date of first one)...Which coin is graded what and which coin would you want to keep (sure, assuming the spot is gone...that's allowed). Please let me know what you think. What do you think PCGS did and what do you think they should be? Which would you keep if you only kept one? I'll reveal the grades this weekend at some point.

UPDATE!
I'll share with you now. The first one was graded 65FB. The second 66FB. I think the first should be 66FB or 66+FB. The second should be 65FB, just barely making FB. The first one was NGC66FB before I sent it to PCGS. Clearly, the forum members here think the first should be graded higher, by a land slide. Some people think there is a two point difference between the coins. I think there is a 1.5 point difference and I LOVE the hammered reverse of the first.

I bought both at Heritage Auctions. The first, because of the NGC holder and maybe because people were not paying attention I got it for less than $200 including juice. The second one I paid $500 for including juice! Someone else wanted it pretty bad because of the plastic so I had to pay up.

With the registry competition I wanted to protect the population of them, guarantee I had a Top Pop, get them in the right holders and sell the lesser coin. The first one needs a spot review at minimum and hopefully a 66FB or 66+FB holder. If PCGS wants to do "something" with the second one then I am open to suggestions. I will take both to FUN and see if I can convince someone to have a conversation with me. Maybe the PCGS employees will be willing to play a guess the grade game with me. Ha ha ha ha!

Not my photos. They are from the auction house.

Coin #1

Coin #2
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    The strike on that first example is superb (especially the reverse!)

I said 66FB and 65FB, although I am not too savvy with Merc dimes.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I clicked on. 1: MS65FB 2: MS64FB

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If not for the spot.....I like the first one better. There is less chatter on it.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAG is 67fb. 66fb

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I say 66 / 65
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    65FB/64FB
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to say 67FB/65FB, but I don't see that option image
  • Options

<< <i>I wanted to say 67FB/65FB, but I don't see that option image >>

That is a very interesting choice but unfortunately it would be an invalid choice. image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't have the option I needed ... MS66FB and MS64FB. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>You didn't have the option I needed ... MS66FB and MS64FB. image >>

Another lovely choice but according to PCGS that would be a very wrong choice. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You didn't have the option I needed ... MS66FB and MS64FB. image >>

My thoughts too. Then I figured that the first coin must have gotten hit harder for that spot....so chose 65FB/64FB. But I don't see those coins only 1 pt apart.

The band on the second coin is not perfectly split per the photo, but probably got in since it's "good enough."

The strike on that first coin is incredible and the bands are free from even the tiniest of abrasions. That's the keeper imo, spot or no spot. Would be a shame if it has to be
    dipped to remove it as the coin would lose that freshness. Technically I could see the coin as low as a 65/65+ because of some scattered facial/neck micro ticks. Still, an
    impressive coin with clean fields and a wondrous set of vertical, horiz, and diagonal bands. Still looks to have all its original mint applied frost/crust. I wouldn't risk dipping it
    for that tiny spot unless there's concern it's green and growing.

2nd coin is dipped and somewhat washed out looking. Not a keeper imo unless graded 64.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Good thoughts there roadrunner. Will post results tonight.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the 1st. Yes, dipped, but the other attributes (strike & abrasions) are clearly superior to the 2nd. I would not be bothered by that spot unless it is pvc.

Would not be sprised if PCGS graded both coins the same as luster carries the most weight grade wise... so I will say 65fb on both... the 2nd is a "liner" as far as FB.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess, PCGS graded them both MS67FB and per the photo, got the first right and the second wrong.

peacockcoins

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went 65 on the first and 64 on the second. I believe the first should be a 66.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id say ms 65 on the first one and ms 66 on the second one. the first one seems like it is worn on some of the high points. jmo
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am with the 65/64 group... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the 66/65 crowd. But I think we're in for a surprise.
    Lance.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Before I read the posts, I'd like to express my thoughts. I imagine both coins are in MS65 FB holders. The top coin has been punished for the spot, and were it not for the spot would be a 6. The bottom coin is a worse strike with more rash, however it is nice enough to grade 65 on the right day. It is a just made it 5 and just made it FB designee. If I were selling, it would be a 5. If I were buying, it would be a 4.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>id say ms 65 on the first one and ms 66 on the second one. the first one seems like it is worn on some of the high points. jmo >>

What high points look worn to you? I don't see anything that jumps out at me.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with 66FB/67FB the 2nd coin has a nicer strike. But thats just me Type2. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Very kind! Results will be posted tonight. image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely I'd choose the first one over the second.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing MS65FB and MS65FB, just for fun. I'm assuming you're posting these because something about the grades seems funny to you.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WAG is 67fb. 66fb

bob >>

I'm with you. And a WAG indeed. Voted before I read the posts too!

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Updated first post. So, anyone else done something like this before? Thoughts? Thanks for playing!
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...shucks I was offimage

The second one really threw me. I can see the stronger central strike on the second one, in the center of the obverse,

The date and perimeter seem to have a weaker strike and it looks like there are hits on it as well.....that could be the image.

The first one shows more metal flow........

Ok with all my observations please explain what I missed? image

Dang nice Merc's regardless!!

• Options

<< <i>Updated first post. So, anyone else done something like this before? Thoughts? Thanks for playing! >>

I'm surprised. I like the first coin very much. The fields are clean and relatively free of marks, but the chatter on the bust is the reason that I considered this a higher end MS65 FB. The grade of MS66 FB doesn't bother me at all.

I am a bit surprised by the second coin. Perhaps the fact that you put it next to such a premium piece influences the way I feel, but I think the coin is very low for the assigned grade, and I believe that it barely makes the FB designation. In short, if I were grading it, I would have put it in a 64 holder.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Updated first post. So, anyone else done something like this before? Thoughts? Thanks for playing! >>

I'm surprised. I like the first coin very much. The fields are clean and relatively free of marks, but the chatter on the bust is the reason that I considered this a higher end MS65 FB. The grade of MS66 FB doesn't bother me at all.

I am a bit surprised by the second coin. Perhaps the fact that you put it next to such a premium piece influences the way I feel, but I think the coin is very low for the assigned grade, and I believe that it barely makes the FB designation. In short, if I were grading it, I would have put it in a 64 holder. >>

I'm surprised at the 1st coin. But I hadn't considered the demerits that the spot on the obverse would downgrade the speciment. The spot is hardly noticeable and without that little blemish that's one outstanding MS66+ FB coin IMO!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file