Home U.S. Coin Forum

Someone dropped a 2,000 St. Gaudens into A Salvation Army Kettle

People across the country are dropping expensive coins into Salvation Army Kettles. Actually, they stole my idea as I have always wanted to drop a hundred or so very circulated Buffalo nickels into one of these pots, but I must be cheap compared to some of the people described below:

“The holiday season means those ever-present Salvation Army red kettles are out in force. That also means the tradition of anonymously slipping gold coins into the kettle has started up again. At a Sam's Club in southwest Houston, a 1-ounce gold coin that was dropped into a kettle is worth about $2,000. Talk about a pot of gold. A note attached to the coin read, "A child is born, Jesus! Merry Christmas!" The secret Santas have a tradition that goes back five years in Houston. In Bettendorf, Iowa, where a quarter-ounce gold coin worth $500 was left in a kettle, the annual Yuletide donation has been going strong for 15 years. The surprise gold coins (worth much more than their face value) have also shown up in Kankakee, Ill., and Johnson County, Tenn., according to NBC News. In Mishawaka, Ind., a 1904 $20 gold piece valued at $1,800 was dropped into a red kettle on Saturday. Major Bob Webster of the Salvation Army told local news station WSBT, Isn't it awesome that people really just sometimes do things for the right reason to be able to help somebody, and they don't have to have all the pomp and circumstance that goes with it."

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there will be more, and $500 and $1000 bills, too.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    This same article was released last year.

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This same article was released last year. >>

I don't know about the article but this sort of thing has been going on for years. I'm planning on donating a 1/10 oz. gold eagle myself in one of the Salvation Army buckets here in my small town, as it has been a good year for me.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why drop it in the bucket and miss out on the tax advantage of getting a receipt??

Oh.......that's right.........deductions are going away after this election....... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh.......that's right.........deductions are going away after this election....... image >>

Even if that were the case - which it's not - any changes to tax law would not impact the current tax year.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Many people are always very generous with their time and money and give all year round.....unfortunately most everyone else are only polite and in a 'giving nature' around the Christmas Holiday. Of course our world would be a happier and better place to live/be if people were, friendly and courteous all year!!!
    Take it easy.....Lion
    The Only Difference Between Men And Boys.....Is The Price Of The Toys
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was probably worth $3500 before it got dropped. Might have gone from being MS 65 to AU 58. Giving is good. It's better to give than to receive. That's why my friends give me such a hard time here. Those dirty scoundrels. image

Bless the givers and the taxers. My God loves us ALL.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... I have always wanted to drop a hundred or so very circulated Buffalo nickels into one of these pots ..." >>

Nice thought, but why? If it's to give the Salvation Army revenue, just give a donation. The novelty of dozens of old nickels will be lost as they will either go directly to the bank or perhaps some eagle-eyed volunteer may spot them and pick them out for themselves (and pay for them, of course). If it's to garner interest in the hobby, spend them sparingly around town. You will create more buzz with more "drops."
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens every year in Seattle....or it did while I lived there (20 years). Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file