Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard poured gold - my first piece

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
This 50 gram bar arrived this week. Despite containing more gold than a $20 US double eagle, this bar is surprisingly small (despite the huge picture) - but quite dense.

I'd love to see some other poured gold examples - or post some gold you like.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be a great pocket piece!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    image Very niceimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    attractive, and collectible

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Picked this one up earlier this year:

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this one up earlier this year:

image >>

That is one cool bar. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    both bars are really, really cool!!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups all and it is good to see it for a change, wtg image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Cool bar! Never seen one in hand.

Take another picture of it with a Quarter beside it for size comparison.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Those are both super cool!!!
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>Cool bar! Never seen one in hand.

Take another picture of it with a Quarter beside it for size comparison. >>

I'll try to remember to do that next time I'm in my safe box. I have a 5oz silver JM poured bar that will make a nice contrast too image The gold bar is about half the size.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own two slightly different 10 OZ. poured Englehards. How much of a premium are they worth?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!!
    COA
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those really ARE nice!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool bar! Never seen one in hand.

Take another picture of it with a Quarter beside it for size comparison. >>

I had a photograph handy with a Walking Liberty. Here you go.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I thought that was a Silver Eagle at first glance until I looked at the date!! That thing is small and way cool.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Very nice pieces in the 50g and Canadian 5oz.

Here are a few of my bars. The 50g is a Canadian variety similar to Gold Standard's...

London 1oz & Australian 2oz bars:

Canadian Collection:

London 5oz:
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options
    A few other neat non-poured varieties, staring with the Australian produced 1/2 Tael which equates to 18.7145 grams:

Standard production pieces. Couldn't find my matching 1oz in red, white & blue but tossed in the modern flag counterpart:

• Options
    Couple of Canadian pieces and a London JM 20g to mix it up a bit:

This pair is a bit unique in the 999.5 refinement:
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    All very very cool bars. There's something about that 2 oz'er dolomite has that almost made "it" move.
    Seinfeld reference...I think it moved image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Very nice everyone!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Awesome!

Great bars everyone!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    TIPPAHNUMTIPPAHNUM Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Great Thread ! There's some really beautiful bars of Gold here so thanks all for posting.
    My only Gold Engelhard:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrat's OGIM! MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    one day i will be able to assemble a collection of gold bars!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

<< <i>I own two slightly different 10 OZ. poured Englehards. How much of a premium are they worth? >>

Not many collect at the level where the cost of admission is $17,150.

Some 2 to 5 ounce bars that sold on ebay about two months ago fetched up to 30% premiums. A 1 ounce bar did even better.

Based on recent poured bar sales a 20-25% premium is realistic for 10 ounce bars - depending on who bids.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gold bars....do not have any bars... always stayed with coins. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Let's see if I can remember how to use Photobucket

linky
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    And the other one

linky2
  • Options
    How do you post the pictures direct?
  • Options

<< <i>How do you post the pictures direct? >>

When you view your picture in photobucket just hit the IMG link (bottom of four choices) and it it will "flash" copy. Then just copy it directly to the thread. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I cannot do it. Went back to photobucket, hit copy, came back there and tried to paste it into a reply. The Paste button was not lit up.

Thank you for posting them, gentlemen.

• Options

OK, that worked. Thanks.
  • Options
    So you CAN teach an old dog a new trickimage

Nice bars Tom!

MJ
  • Options
    Maybe I'll list them on BST to see what the market really is on these.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I'll list them on BST to see what the market really is on these. >>

Spot + a six pack of beerimage

Nice yellow everyone

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    People keep saying poured bars are worth a premium. Are they wrong?
  • Options

<< <i>People keep saying poured bars are worth a premium. Are they wrong? >>

I didn't think there would be much or any premium on poured gold bars 2oz or larger, but it appears I am wrong. Found this 5 oz gold poured Engelhard London bar that sold on ebay not long ago. Worked out to 7% over the at the time spot *AFTER* ebay and paypal fees!

whooooaa

I wouldn't expect the more "common" poured bars (like mine) to bring as much. But certainly in the neighbourhood of spot or slightly over spot after the significant Ebay fees wouldn't be out of the question.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the old, "it's only worth what someone wants to pay for them."

You have two different type bars that a "collector" might desire. Thing is you'll need another collector of high dollar bullion items at premiums.

Ebay is a huge market that touches a great many of such people, but we all know about the fees.

It may be worth it to you to try the whole "buy it now or best offer" deal, but you'll have to do the math on the fees.

By the way. they are very nice image

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>People keep saying poured bars are worth a premium. Are they wrong? >>

I didn't think there would be much or any premium on poured gold bars 2oz or larger, but it appears I am wrong. Found this 5 oz gold poured Engelhard London bar that sold on ebay not long ago. Worked out to 7% over the at the time spot *AFTER* ebay and paypal fees!

whooooaa

I wouldn't expect the more "common" poured bars (like mine) to bring as much. But certainly in the neighbourhood of spot or slightly over spot after the significant Ebay fees wouldn't be out of the question. >>

Assuming spot was $1,750, the buyer of the 5 oz London bar on ebay paid a premium of 28%. If ebay and paypal cost a combined 13% the seller should still have realized a nice premium over spot.
  • Options
    Just curious before I do anything.... if, hypothetically, I were to offer to trade the two bars for 21 ounces worth of BU American Eagle gold, am I asking for a 5% premium figuring just the ounces of gold, or should I factor in the premium over spot that American Eagles bring?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked this one up earlier this year:

image >>

nice bar image
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious before I do anything.... if, hypothetically, I were to offer to trade the two bars for 21 ounces worth of BU American Eagle gold, am I asking for a 5% premium figuring just the ounces of gold, or should I factor in the premium over spot that American Eagles bring? >>

To determine the true premium I belive you need to factor in the premium that AGE's commonly realize over spot.

FWIW you may be undervaluing your bars if you just want to net 1 ounce via the trade (20 ounces traded to gain 21).
  • Options

<< <i>image

OK, that worked. Thanks. >>

I have now listed these on BST.
  • Options
    Recent pickups. 2oz Engelhard gold in slightly different configurations.

• Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Very cool dvt, nice first post here. welcome to the nut-farm image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Those small, thick square bars are cute, but hard to sell.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those small, thick square bars are cute, but hard to sell. >>

They are neat looking. How much do they weigh?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.