Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet another move to eliminate the dollar bill

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
Good luck!

linky
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    read comments to understand why this won't happen.

Americans are by and large an incredibly stupid people.

and not just the 47%.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... will replace with less expensive metals such as, aluminum,zinc,etc." Wait,if they allow this,mark my words. These metals will turn valuable in time! besides,those dollar coins are a nuisance in my wallet.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...one day the gubmint is for elimination of the rag buck and the next day they want the dollar coin. they'll never get it straight! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quarter in 1970 bought a hell of a lot more than a dollar buys today. Using a coin today for the same (actually less) "buying value" as a coin in 1970 should not be a problem. After all, a coin was good enough back then, why not now? People just can't get past the idea of "dollar bill". Let's extrapolate out a few more years. In 2030 or 2040, when the dollar buys what a penny did in 1970, are we still going to be having the same argument? Yeah, probably. Especially if the Crane company is still lobbying hard...
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its only a matter of time before all money is electronic IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>its only a matter of time before all money is electronic IMO >>

Your right!image Read my post about the "cent and nickel " thread.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

<< <i>its only a matter of time before all money is electronic IMO >>

For the most part yes. 100 percent, I don't think so. They have the technology to do that right now, but I see too many problems.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    To get more deeper into this subject,that micro chip that's inside all these credit cards,will soon be inside of our hands. Literally! Think of the convenience factors here.Watch.

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I've seen a few reports the past couple days on this subject. I say it's about time.

I've got property in Canada. They have a dollar coin (loonie) and two dollar coin (toonie). Most people don't have a problem with the coins. Those that do don't tend to spend their change. They let it accumulate and it becomes a burden to them.

For the savings, I think it's worth it. You get used to it after a while.

Edited to add... I remember when Canada switched from the paper dollar to the coin. They gave plenty of notice, 6-12 months, I can't remember how much exactly. After that, the paper dollar was not accepted. We've tried the "choice" route. It didn't work. This time they should do what Canada did.
    Dan
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate paper one-dollar bills. I greatly prefer dollar coins, I think they are more convenient, and they would save the government money if they used them instead of paper.
    I spend dozens of them at a time.

But also consider this:

A paper dollar is a Federal Reserve Note, issued by a banking cartel, with debt and interest attached.

A dollar coin is issued by the US Treasury, with no addtional government debt or interest payments incurred by their issuance.

So be on the lookout for Federal Reserve trolls attempting to cut down the idea.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Don't kid yourself. The company that manufactures the paper that our money is printed on weilds A LOT of influence in Washington. That is the ONLY reason why we have not stopped printing the dollar bill.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Don't kid yourself. The company that manufactures the paper that our money is printed on weilds A LOT of influence in Washington. That is the ONLY reason why we have not stopped printing the dollar bill. >>

Don't kid yourself - it's the powerful stripper's lobby that keep the dollar bill in circulation!
    Can't stuff a dollar coin into a strippers g-string! (I tried!)
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't kid yourself. The company that manufactures the paper that our money is printed on weilds A LOT of influence in Washington. That is the ONLY reason why we have not stopped printing the dollar bill >>

That's the Crane Company, mentioned in my post above.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>read comments to understand why this won't happen.

Americans are by and large an incredibly stupid people.

and not just the 47%. >>

If by Stupid you mean we allow folks like you to make these comments with no reprisal or fear then I am afraid you are correct.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't kid yourself - it's the powerful stripper's lobby that keep the dollar bill in circulation!
    Can't stuff a dollar coin into a strippers g-string! (I tried!) >>

Every other place in the world has little jars for people to place their tips. Only in the US do pervs think that a buck gives them the privilege to cop a feel.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    "And Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., said the $1 coins have proved too hard to distinguish from quarters.
    "If the people don't want it and they don't want to use it," she said, "why in the world are we even talking about changing it?""

For those of you not familiar with NY Congress critters, Ms. Maloney is our village idiot.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't kid yourself - it's the powerful stripper's lobby that keep the dollar bill in circulation!
    Can't stuff a dollar coin into a strippers g-string! (I tried!) >>

Every other place in the world has little jars for people to place their tips. Only in the US do pervs think that a buck gives them the privilege to cop a feel. >>

God bless the USA!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a serious note, many countries have gone this route. Great Britain introduced the 1 pound coin sometime in the early 1980s. There is no one euro note, only a coin. Brasil stopped producing the 1 real coin around 2006. Argentina for some time only has used a 1 peso and 2 peso coin. When I was over there, I did not see a single New Turkish Lira note, only coins.

On the not so serious side, you can do a lot with coins and strippers, though at present, many of them would be against the law. When I was a kid, a former serviceman told me a story about a quarter when he was south of the border......
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"And Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., said the $1 coins have proved too hard to distinguish from quarters.
    "If the people don't want it and they don't want to use it," she said, "why in the world are we even talking about changing it?""

For those of you not familiar with NY Congress critters, Ms. Maloney is our village idiot. >>

That's made painfully obvious by the above quote. While she probably also has a hard time distinguishing her image from a hole in the ground, nickels are much more similar to quarters than the current dollars are. Never mind the similarity in size, shape, and color of our circulating paper currency.
  • Options
    The only thing you need to know is the dollar coin does not have FEDERAL RESERVE stamped on it and the paper dollar does.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing you need to know is the dollar coin does not have FEDERAL RESERVE stamped on it and the paper dollar does. >>

Yes, exactly. Who is putting up the real road-blocks to the dollar coin ?
    Crane paper may whine some about it, but the Federal Reserve has more to lose
    (they doesn't want to give up any of their "turf").
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banks don't want them, thus the fed res doesn't, because the banks have to buy the $1 coin for $1, whereas with the notes they only have to put up worthless treasuries as collateral.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canada has even given up producing the cent, so we are way behind the curve.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Don't kid yourself - it's the powerful stripper's lobby that keep the dollar bill in circulation!
    image >>

If they were really that smart, they would want the dollar gone, and mandate five bucks as the minimum g-tip!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"... will replace with less expensive metals such as, aluminum,zinc,etc." Wait,if they allow this,mark my words. These metals will turn valuable in time! besides,those dollar coins are a nuisance in my wallet.image >>

You could always leave them in the penny tray at the counter.image
  • Options

<< <i>banks don't want them, thus the fed res doesn't, because the banks have to buy the $1 coin for $1, whereas with the notes they only have to put up worthless treasuries as collateral. >>

Banks don't want them mainly because they don't circulate. They sit in the bank vaults. If the dollar coins circulated, then the banks wouldn't have a problem with them. image
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I have always gotten a kick out of people saying "who wants to pack around a bunch of those things in their pockets?" To that I say; who packs around a bunch of ones? Most people may have 3-4 at the most in their wallet. What will happen is these things would end up in the car cup holder and then be quickly spent in drive-thrus, tollways, etc, so they may actually be quite convenient to have sitting right there instead of having to dig for your wallet.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent, balanced discussion on the topic on one of my favorite podcasts, Planet Money.

The conclusion may surprise some folks here.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't kid yourself. The company that manufactures the paper that our money is printed on wields A LOT of influence in Washington. That is the ONLY reason why we have not stopped printing the dollar bill. >>

image >>

...just substitute with an I.O.U. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....bring back the trime. Bullion value. You'd have a coin 3 mm in diameter. Imagine counting out a bunch of those with icy cold hands at Wawa buying a coffee after spending four fruitless hours sitting up in a deer stand in 15 degree weather.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file