Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do you collect just cards/unopened or also memorabilia/game used?

I get the impression from my time on this board and on a game used forum that collectors tend to be either card/unopened collectors or memorabilia/game used collectors. But it could also be people just tailoring their posts to the forum.

I have only a handful of game worn items and memorabilia (e.g., signed baseballs), but dollar-wise they account for about half of my collection. Then about 25% in unopened, even though it's a small number of boxes. Finally, 25% in cards/sets, and I have a ton of them, but they are almost all 1971-present.

I love all three parts of my collection, and it's difficult to say what I like most.

Do you collect across areas and/or have a favorite (and maybe say why you prefer what you prefer)?
Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• I am a hoarder, I have unopened, autographed photos and baseballs, Starting Lineups, McFarlanes,comic books, action figures, Legos, Beanie Babies, Webkinz,Transformers,G.I. Joe, Card games, die cast, Star Trek....on and on and on....
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a hoarder, I have unopened, autographed photos and baseballs, Starting Lineups, McFarlanes,comic books, action figures, Legos, Beanie Babies, Webkinz,Transformers,G.I. Joe, Card games, die cast, Star Trek....on and on and on.... >>

Me too, hundreds of game used, auto photos, baseballs, action figures, memorbilia, etc, etc. I am an addict with no direction.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • The problem with game used memorabilia comes down to space for a lot of people. I tend to have a few items for my favorite players, but I know its not logistically feasible to have dozens and dozens of bats and jerseys and be able to display it all.

Cards take up less space, and there's sort of a systematic framework already established in how to collect and store it.

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Brian26. I have a bat and jersey of my favorite hall of famer, but rookie cards of most of the others. It's easy to get a psa display case that holds 36 or so cards, and it doesn't take up much more space than 1 framed jersey. But I do enjoy all aspects of collecting. If you have the stuff on display somewhere it is nice to have a mixture of things.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

• << <i>

<< <i>I am a hoarder, I have unopened, autographed photos and baseballs, Starting Lineups, McFarlanes,comic books, action figures, Legos, Beanie Babies, Webkinz,Transformers,G.I. Joe, Card games, die cast, Star Trek....on and on and on.... >>

Me too, hundreds of game used, auto photos, baseballs, action figures, memorbilia, etc, etc. I am an addict with no direction. >>

I too am afflicted by this disease. Alas, I believe there is no cure. I will continue, for the rest of my days, searching for and buying more STUFF.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Me too, hundreds of game used, auto photos, baseballs, action figures, memorbilia, etc, etc. I am an addict with no direction. >>

I too am afflicted by this disease. Alas, I believe there is no cure. I will continue, for the rest of my days, searching for and buying more STUFF. >>

The only cure . . . is more cowbell.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i believe they call it Holddat Disease. and if you try to get rid of it, it just doubles in severity.
  • I collect only baseball cards. (mostly those of certain H.O.F's)

As far as unopened packs, anything with Canseco showing on the front along with game used jersey/relics of his.