Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Broder Cards

I have a bunch of these from the late 80's/early 90's. I understand these to be basically illegally produced. But is there any demand for these or are these worth less than junk wax. I also remember Mothers Cookies. Were those approved by MLB for production?

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Mother's Cookies are legit. They gave them out at the stadiums as partial team sets as a promotion. From the stories I've heard, they'd intentionally give you and incomplete set with dupes so you'd go around to other fans at the park and trade so you could complete your set.

Broders are junk, but player collectors might be interested. Some of those Broders were kinda cool looking. I remember back at a card show in 1989, I saw some of those broders with full foil borders, back before foil cards were standard.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think the Broders are best used in your fireplace. I would have said best used as toilet paper but I think the pointed edges would have hurt...............
    I think the Mothers Cookies were licenced but I am not sure.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Mothers Cookies cards are totally legit, licensed by MLB and have a fairly strong collector following.

Broders were not. They were super popular at every show I attended in the late 80s/early 90s, but I think most collectors eventually realized they had absolutely no value and lost interest. But I agree, some of them did look pretty cool
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    they have value - people still buy and sell them...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Really, they have value? I thought they were worthless. Shows you all how much I know..............
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Just like anything else, they have as much value as someone is willing to pay for them.

But when something is unlicensed, and can be reprinted as many times and for however long the maker wishes, how could one expect them to really have any resale value?

by the way, will PSA grade Broder cards? I'm guessing not
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Not a huge amount of value but they do sell in player lots or larger 400+ count lots on Ebay. I loved these as a kid and some of the players go for decent money and be decent money I mean 50 cents a card compared to anything else printed during that era like Topps, donruss and Fleer.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of Broder cards-they are nice looking. I have a couple of sets of Mother's cookies. Fortunately I collect for fun rather than profit.
  • Options

<< <i>how could one expect them to really have any resale value? >>

People still buy and sell 1988 Donruss cards, and it seems like the presses never stopped on those.

• Options
    People will always rip 1988 Donruss boxes desperately searching for a Mike Lavalliere that would grade PSA 2
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    my litmus test for card values is not based on whether or not PSA grades them...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>my litmus test for card values is not based on whether or not PSA grades them... >>

That'll give you some false-negatives.

• Options
    I buy them when the price is right. I have about 400 borders cards of nolan ryan and am always looking for new variations.

I put them up with all other junk wax and pay $.05 per ryan card regardless of what it is except for pacific cards. Doesn't seem like much, but if you have a 1000 junk way ryan cards, $50 is better than space wasted in your collection for the rest of your life. If you figure in fee's, time and shipment costs to move one thousand 1990 topps or borders nolan ryan cards you dont have much room.

I assume that as a major player collector, I fit where most others do. Collectors will buy variations, but not very much for them.
    I am working on the Nolan Ryan master set. Need 1004 more cards to complete. I might actually spend more on plastic than I did on cardboard.