Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can you say overpriced

I am usually not one to be negative, and I really don't mean this to be a negative post. This is only meant to be truthful and to state my amazment.

How many of you get Larry Fritsch's catalog? I do, but I don't know why because I don't remember ever buying anything from him. Is this not the most overpriced dealer out there? Wow. I couldn't believe how overpriced his stuff is.

Here are some random examples.

1987 Topps Complete Set hand collated (stated condition is EXMT to NM mind you) - Regular price - $32.00; SPECIAL PURCHASE PRICE - $25.25

1987 Topps Factory Set - Regular price - $49.95; SPECIAL PURCHASE PRICE - $39.95

1985 Topps Complete Set - Regular price - $140; SPECIAL PURCHASE PRICE - $99.99

1990 Topps Factory Set - Regular price - $33.00; SPECIAL PURCHASE PRICE - $25.25

1958 Topps Mantle GD condition - $450 (I use this example because I have this set).

1958 Topps Ted Williams GD condition - $250

1970 Fleer World Series - ranging from $13 to $33. (I recently gave $2 each for a handful of Cardinals I needed)

1988-89 Fleer Basketball set - $175 (They usually go for around $50)

I could go on and on and on and on and one, especially his asking price for vintage singles (stars and commons).

I guess I am posting this thread (first of all) in amazement that a reputable dealer is still asking late 1980's BV for his cards. Secondly, I am wondering how they ever sell ANYTHING.

Again, this thread is not to throw stones at all. I realized Larry passed away a few years ago and I know he left an ENORMOUS collection to his family. I really just wonder how they sell anything at all with those prices.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    tis the season...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL you dont mean it to be negative but throwing the stupid prices out there for examples? Ok I dont mean to be negative either but how does 707 sell anything? Im not going to throw stupid prices out there because again I dont want to be negative image
  • Options
    I enjoy being negative.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL you dont mean it to be negative but throwing the stupid prices out there for examples? Ok I dont mean to be negative either but how does 707 sell anything? Im not going to throw stupid prices out there because again I dont want to be negative image >>

LOL! image .............

Seriously, it is posts like this that has made my visits and posts here few and far between. This place used to be a fantastic place where we could discuss the hobby. Yes, overpriced dealers are part of the hobby. All I meant about me not trying to be negative is that some people live for negativity and post things for that reason ONLY. That was not my intent.

I'm not going to say I won't ever post here again, but I am seriously thinking about it.

Shane

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Are you saying that I did not get a good deal on my 1987 Topps hand collated set for $25.25? ...................................................NOT!
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Kit Young and Wheat's prices are similar. They're a retail outfit, have a retail outlook and that's what retail charges.

Years ago I used to go to furniture auctions. After a while, I knew who the dealers were. If I was only bidding against dealers I knew I would win because they would stop at the wholesale price. So I got the piece of furniture for a small percentage above wholesale. Because of this forum, ebay, the internet, VCP, etc. we are all dealers now and know not to bid too much above the wholesale price and eventually, the card we want will come along at the right price. Fritsch, Young, et. al. are selling to a retail market and are willing to wait until a retail buyer comes their way.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure Kit Young and Wheat's prices are similar. They're a retail outfit, have a retail outlook and that's what retail charges.

Years ago I used to go to furniture auctions. After a while, I knew who the dealers were. If I was only bidding against dealers I knew I would win because they would stop at the wholesale price. So I got the piece of furniture for a small percentage above wholesale. Because of this forum, ebay, the internet, VCP, etc. we are all dealers now and know not to bid too much above the wholesale price and eventually, the card we want will come along at the right price. Fritsch, Young, et. al. are selling to a retail market and are willing to wait until a retail buyer comes their way. >>

Very thoughtful post.

I guess I had not thought of it in that way. But how many retail buyers are there out there? I certainly am not one, yet I got a catalog in the mail. Wouldn't you say that most people that get their catalogs are collectors like me that don't pay retail?

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>LOL you dont mean it to be negative but throwing the stupid prices out there for examples? Ok I dont mean to be negative either but how does 707 sell anything? Im not going to throw stupid prices out there because again I dont want to be negative image >>

LOL! image .............

Seriously, it is posts like this that has made my visits and posts here few and far between. This place used to be a fantastic place where we could discuss the hobby. Yes, overpriced dealers are part of the hobby. All I meant about me not trying to be negative is that some people live for negativity and post things for that reason ONLY. That was not my intent.

I'm not going to say I won't ever post here again, but I am seriously thinking about it. >>

Please Frank, I will add your name to the long list of people who "threaten" to never post again like anyone gives a rats a$$ one way or another. Discuss anything you want! Dont let the fact that I thought your post was absolutely hilarious drive you away!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tis the season of gift giving. Someone not knowledgeable about card pricing may not think it is too bad to spend $25 - $50 bucks for a brand new vintage set of cards still in its' original box and wrapping. My kids bought me overpriced cards for my birthday in the past. I had to tell them nicely not to purchase cards for me.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There's a huge difference in the sportscard market between retail, wholesale and eBay... They are not even remotely comparable... Many suggest that eBay is close to retail, but that is only true in the small circle of those very active in the hobby.

Do you wonder how Levi sells cards at HIS prices? He asks those prices. And people that are not involved in the hobby on a daily basis pay those prices. The same way that people buy coins and stamps from the Sunday paper magazine, Shop-at-Home or Home Shopping Network. They don't know that there are other avenues and even if they did, they're not armed with enough resources to make, what most of us consider, an educated decision. We're comparing the general public to ourselves. And by doing so, we are giving the public far too much credit. Many on these boards, being more informed than a vast majority of the casual collector, still make mistakes or purchase things for far more than they could get them for elsewhere. Accordingly, there are some here that know where to buy computer accessories, car parts, furniture and other items at huge discounts versus what most of us typically pay. It is just the nature of the beast...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL! image .............

I'm not going to say I won't ever post here again, but I am seriously thinking about it. >>

Please Frank, I will add your name to the long list of people who "threaten" to never post again like anyone gives a rats a$$ one way or another. Discuss anything you want! Dont let the fact that I thought your post was absolutely hilarious drive you away! >>

It wasn't just your post. It's been a bunch of things like that over the recent past.

I really wasn't threatening. I am seriously thinking about it. I already have stayed away to an extent because I hardly ever post.

Ralph,

So, I guess you are saying that guys like 707, Kit Young, and Fritsch are almost exclusively marketing to those kind of buyers and not to informed collectors? Seems to me that they are marketing to a smaller group of people hoping to get that astronomical price.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL! image .............

Please Frank, I will add your name to the long list of people who "threaten" to never post again like anyone gives a rats a$$ one way or another. Discuss anything you want! Dont let the fact that I thought your post was absolutely hilarious drive you away! >>

It wasn't just your post. It's been a bunch of things like that over the recent past.

I really wasn't threatening. I am seriously thinking about it. I already have stayed away to an extent because I hardly ever post. >>

Shane, Ive never had an issue with you before and dont dislike your posts but again I thought your thread was funny and responded.

So your seriously thinking of staying away from cu and hardly ever post well hey thats cool, I raked some leaves the other day and drank beers afterwards!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL! image .............

I really wasn't threatening. I am seriously thinking about it. I already have stayed away to an extent because I hardly ever post. >>

Shane, Ive never had an issue with you before and dont dislike your posts but again I thought your thread was funny and responded.

So your seriously thinking of staying away from cu and hardly ever post well hey thats cool, I raked some leaves the other day and drank beers afterwards! >>

I've never had an issue with you either. I guess we can call it a truce. I still need to rake / mow my leaves, but I can't because we still have a few more pecans to pick up. I don't drink beer, but I drink lots of water. PM me your address and I will send you some genuine western KY pecans! image

Shane

• Options
    Thank You Shane! Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do image ( Glass of water since you dont drink beer image )
  • Options
    Don't worry about perkdog. 14k posts and I don't think he even collects cards. And his title should probably be changed from "Vintage Football Collector" to "Red Sox Fan Since October 2004".
  • Options

<< <i>Don't worry about perkdog. 14k posts and I don't think he even collects cards. And his title should probably be changed from "Vintage Football Collector" to "Red Sox Fan Since October 2004". >>

• Options
    I had someone rip on me on a previous string, stating that 'Alts are trolls and have no luck with girls and got beat up a lot when little and live in mom's basement and suck their thumb and etc etc. Not sure though if that was a definition of a 'troll' or a person with thousands and thousands of messages. No offense to anyone (perkdog) but I think the man has you.

Fritsch cards business plan is to own cheap and sell to those seeking something specific who pays more, or suckers who don't know. Based on recent experience here, I am about to get slammed. But unfortunately for you, you're looking in the mirror. image Rock and roll it's all fun !
  • Options

<< <i>I had someone rip on me on a previous string, stating that 'Alts are trolls and have no luck with girls and got beat up a lot when little and live in mom's basement and suck their thumb and etc etc. Not sure though if that was a definition of a 'troll' or a person with thousands and thousands of messages. No offense to anyone (perkdog) but I think the man has you.

Fritsch cards business plan is to own cheap and sell to those seeking something specific who pays more, or suckers who don't know. Based on recent experience here, I am about to get slammed. But unfortunately for you, you're looking in the mirror. image Rock and roll it's all fun ! >>

LOL yes he got me good there, i thought it was funny! See I can take a joke no problem, unlike you who apparently lost sleep over me accusing you of being some loser who probably got banned! Also I didnt even attack back at Levi and talk crap about how STUPID he looks at shows wearing those queer hats! Its all in fun, this isnt real life where a guy like you would probably get his teeth kicked in on a regular basis for opening your mouth image
  • Options
    Steve Martin in the movie The Jerk when writing one dollar and 99 cent checks: fourteen thousand three hundred and seventy THREE !
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Red Sox Fan Since October 2004" >>

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you REALLY want to get pi$$ed off about Fritsch's pricing. Larry once told me that some years Topps GAVE him the stuff from the year before if he was willing to pay for the shipping, once he ended up getting a BOXCAR full of trading cards!

Talk about your profit margin!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>If you REALLY want to get pi$$ed off about Fritsch's pricing. Larry once told me that some years Topps GAVE him the stuff from the year before if he was willing to pay for the shipping, once he ended up getting a BOXCAR full of trading cards!

Talk about your profit margin!

Joe >>

Wow, I did not know that.

Shane

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure Kit Young and Wheat's prices are similar. They're a retail outfit, have a retail outlook and that's what retail charges.

Years ago I used to go to furniture auctions. After a while, I knew who the dealers were. If I was only bidding against dealers I knew I would win because they would stop at the wholesale price. So I got the piece of furniture for a small percentage above wholesale. Because of this forum, ebay, the internet, VCP, etc. we are all dealers now and know not to bid too much above the wholesale price and eventually, the card we want will come along at the right price. Fritsch, Young, et. al. are selling to a retail market and are willing to wait until a retail buyer comes their way. >>

What people in this world would know enough to find Fristch's website to buy cards or to order a catalog but not know anything about buying on ebay?
  • Options
    Ya know, I actually believe that. That went back to the 75's didn't it.

• Options
    They have discounts out there on some items. Their prices on 70's unopened comes to mind. They likely posted some of the same prices that ,people have been scooping them up for today ,back in 2000. They have the supply and the demand will be there sooner or later. As for 87 TOpps sets, well, they cant sell everything.
  • Options
    My guess is....

-The real money is made on the 60's and 70's cards. Thus, they can "wait" for their prices on the 80's and 90's stuff.

It's not like your typical card shop owner that puts $50 or $100 k into inventory and needs to turn it (with rent, utilities, staff expenses, etc). The typical card shop owner can't wait for Joe Public to buy a $29.95 set of Topps cards.

-There are some people that do buy retail.....i.e. when I was 13 or 14, my grandmother bought me a 1992 Fleer Ultra Frank Thomas for Christmas (along with some other things). The person buying cards for their grandson isn't going to be on ebay or up to date on book values. I wonder how many of those $29.95 and $39.95 sets end up as gifts.

-It seems like some of the pricing is variable. I think years ago his 84 Fleer update set was something crazy....$550, $650. The old late 80's beckett value. But some of the prices do go down. He's also had some coupons in the front.

If you got warehouses full of Topps sets for pennies, would you be eager to blow them out? Probably not. He must have been a millionaire many times over.

Didn't Fritsch get most of the 72 Topps football hi number boxes and cases? I think I remember reading that. Those were, $6,000 a box? That's just one little set. And his cost basis was virtually nothing on it.

Something like 85 or 87 Topps is going to look like peanuts compared to that. It'd be funny and kind of ironic if some of the modern sets get rare, and in 5 or 10 years, he's one of the few sources with a particular set.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Yes, he did get the left over 72' 3rd series fb. The only set I'm still trying to complete from the 70's, except for the Mexican.
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Shane,
    I know I'm a little late to the party but I couldn't agree with you more about dealers overpricing cards. In fact, I recently posted a similar thread and it also didn't go well. People telling me to stop whining. Lol. Some damn near rude people on this forum, if they don't like it then they don't have to respond.
  • Options
    Hey Shane,

I have known about Fritsch Cards for a while, but this summer I stumbled across a specialized piece that only they had. It was something I had never seen and they had multiple copies. I did my first purchase and was happy with it. They send me a catalog now every couple months and I would agree that my first instinct on seeing their prices for most items was "no way in #$#(" However, they have a lot of obscure or special things that really appealed to me. I got a 1895 Mayo Plug reprint set, an N162 reprint set and some supplies a few months later. The price for those, IMO, was acceptable.

It's true they are evidently able to find enough buyers at their prices. They run a lot of sales, specials and "limited offers" which I'm sure adds appeal to certain buyers. As a regular eBay'er, I knew what was "overpriced" and what was a "good deal". Mind you, I won't be picking up a 1987 Topps Set from them any time soon, though image

Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    I know Fristsch and a handful of other dealers had some great prices on late nineties boxes that were listed in their catalog. However, they are all gone now. Also, I would think a lot of their stuff is factory fresh....not all mind you but a lot of it.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    In the 1974, our local paper 'The Milwaukee Journal' had a Sunday insert section called 'Insight'. One
    of the issues featured an article about Larry Fritsch and his collecting and how he became a full time
    card dealer. In that article he stated he paid $38 for a 12,000 card vending case direct from Topps. This was in 1974.
    He also said he was Topps' largest buyer. At 660 cards in the set and with good collation, you could sort out
    close to 18 sets out of one case. That would put his cost at roughly $2.10 (at 1974's money) for each set.

I think Larry's done pretty well over the years with his foresight in this hobby.

Is he overpriced? Sure. But he's an upper level full retail seller. It doesn't appear that's he's ever needed the money to have to
    sell at wholesale levels in order to pay his bills. He's a buy and hold type of seller.
    Personally I think it's a mistake for the 1980's and '90's overproduced junk, but his son Jeff, who now runs
    the family business, seems to be sticking with the same business philosophy today.
  • Options
    You really can't single out Fritsch. Look at all the eBay sellers with their BINs at 20, 30, 50% over SMR. People can ask whatever they want doesn't mean you have to buy it.

That said, is it perplexing sometimes? Absolutely.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Good points.

For sure the more overpriced something is the longer it most likely will sit.

No business can aford no business...so whatever the pricing model they choose must work for them.

If thier products are vastly overpriced they don't have to sell as much. An example from above...

I know very little about coin collecting. I bought a few coins sets (gifts for my son) from a TV show on a major network.

I believe HSN. Good deal...probably not but I don't know. Do I care? not really. Could I have bought cheaper elsewhere?

probably. But it was convenient and I didn't have to do any research. Other dummies were buying the same thing also.

On cards the other hand...I have vcp and experience. Ebay has become a resevoir of BIN at up to 4x or more VCP.

I am certainly willing to pay above going price for something of higher quality or scarcity. Especialy if it's something I want.

I can't fault someone willing to pay retail. If it was so important to them they would research and find a better price.

As a business selling model I like 4SC. Start a card at the super duper grand slam price. Hope some 'just gotta have it collector' pulls

the trigger and let it stay for several weeks and then gradualy lower until it sells.

With their huge inventory nothing just sits there forever. Many of the other gig ebay seller have followed this nodel.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In 2 weeks it will be the 5 anniversary of Larry's death.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

LOL yes he got me good there, i thought it was funny! See I can take a joke no problem, unlike you who apparently lost sleep over me accusing you of being some loser who probably got banned! Also I didnt even attack back at Levi and talk crap about how STUPID he looks at shows wearing those queer hats! Its all in fun, this isnt real life where a guy like you would probably get his teeth kicked in on a regular basis for opening your mouth image >>

LMFAO!

Perkdog, one of many good hunorous quotes in this thread by you, LOL image
  • Options
    First of all, everybody has the right to ask any price for their product! That is the American way!

Second of all, everybody has the right to pay or not pay for an asking price! That is the American way!

Third of all, everybody has the right to complain as in this thread! That is the American way!

Now that that's settled, to the complainers, there are some positives to the high dollar sellers.
    That is one of the ways that prices are driven upwards and I think we all want to see our inventory rise in value.
    Also, I use to love having the same product as WhereTheyAin't. My product could be over SMR or VCP and still be much cheaper than
    the other listing.

I also agree that, as a seller, there are basiclly 2 plans of attack. Quanity or Quality. Sell lots of items with a low markup or sell a few items with a high markup. When you figure out how to sell lots of items at a large markup with a low startup cost, please let me know!

We are also not alone with this situation. In just about every market, the same goes on. I do not buy my grocies at Albertsons because I can get the same at Walmart cheaper, but Albertsons still has plenty of customers, as does the Fritch's, Wheretheyain'ts, etc...

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow............This has gone awhile with no mention of Deans Cards. He makes 707 look like bargain basement sometimes.image
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In 2 weeks it will be the 5 anniversary of Larry's death. >>

Thank you, Captain Killjoy.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In 2 weeks it will be the 5 anniversary of Larry's death. >>

Thank you, Captain Killjoy. >>

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a buy and hold type of seller. >>

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow............This has gone awhile with no mention of Deans Cards. He makes 707 look like bargain basement sometimes.image >>

+100

The only thing about Mickey's post I might take issue with is the 'sometimes'.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Walter,
    I'm sorry I offended you. Yes, the word I needed to use was "ALWAYS". I'm wondering if Levi is mad at this........someone beating him.......and badly for the title of most overpriced.image
  • Options

<< <i>Walter,
    I'm sorry I offended you. Yes, the word I needed to use was "ALWAYS". I'm wondering if Levi is mad at this........someone beating him.......and badly for the title of most overpriced.image >>

Well at least Levi has the most overgraded cards at High End prices!
  • Options
    Perkdog,
    I actually did not want to go there; but that was funny.image
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog,
    I actually did not want to go there; but that was funny.image >>

• Options
    Shucks I was looking forward to a snappy comeback from Maurice errr Levi to make me laugh again image