Home Sports Talk

Which team would you rank higher in college football ?

Both teams are 9-1.

Team A does not have a win against a Top 25 opponent.
Team B has three wins against Top 10 opponents.

Team A's only loss was at home against the 12th rated team.
Team B's only loss was a close one on a nuetral site against the 3rd ranked team.

Which team would you rank higher ?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously team B
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B unless it's my team. At that point and time I will have some sort of rebuttal ready. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>B unless it's my team. At that point and time I will have some sort of rebuttal ready. MJ >>

+1

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    something you're not telling us? If not, then obviously B

<< <i>something you're not telling us? If not, then obviously B >>

It's his set up for some SEC team that is obviously better than some non-SEC team. My guess is Oregon but could be someone else.

In the end SEC is best and the rest of us are playing for second place.
  • Florida (9-1) has wins against #7 LSU, #9 Texas A&M, and #12 South Carolina.
    They have a non-conference game this weekend against #10 Florida State.
    Florida's only loss was to #3 Georgia.

Oregon (9-1) only win against a ranked opponent is #24 Arizona.
    Their loss was at home against #8 Stanford.
    Their non-conference schedule included cupcakes like Arkansas State, Fresno State, and Tennessee Tech.

Please educate me as to why the AP, Coaches Poll, and USA today ranked Oregon higher then Florida based on that body of work.
  • Harris Poll

Oregon 5
    Florida 6

Coaches Poll (USA Today)

Oregon 4
    Florida 6

AP Poll

Oregon 5
    Florida 6

It seems to me that the same Pac-10 bias that voted U$C #1 to start this season is alive and well.
    Seems like the SEC hatred is alive and well too.

The voters are telling the college football world that it doesn't matter if you schedule and beat hard teams or not.
    More college programs may be drifting towards playing cupcakes if they see what Oregon is getting away with.

• << <i>

<< <i>

In the end SEC is best and the rest of us are playing for second place. >>

This should be nominated for sports talk post of the year.
    I highly recommend this individual as a well informed poster. image
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Insufficient data. I love SEC football, but Florida is not a great team.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, it's bit misleading to go by current rankings for opponents - you gotta go by where they were ranked when the teams played. By that measure, Oregon has beaten 3 ranked teams. Their OOC schedule was not great, admittedly, but Fresno State is a quality opponent. It's also worth noting that all of Oregon's wins were 11+ points. Their one loss was setup by the replay officials botching a call in the end zone, wrongly awarding a TD to Stanford and was a 3-pt loss in OT.

As for Florida, their OOC schedule included such heavyweights as LA-Lafayette and Jacksonville State. The LA-Lafayette game saw Florida trail the entire game, having to block a punt on the last play to escape with a win. They've had multiple other ugly wins as well, like the 14-7 win over Missouri. Their one loss was an 8-pt defeat at home.

Sure, it's all speculation but the eyeball test says Oregon is better than Florida.

Tabe

<< <i>It seems to me that the same Pac-10 bias that voted U$C #1 to start this season is alive and well. >>

USC was a consensus #1 preseason for EVERYBODY. Coming off a 10-2 season with their entire star-studded offense (minus Matt Kalil) coming back, they were a legit #1 preseason. Didn't work out that way obviously but it wasn't some "bias" putting them there.

<< <i>Seems like the SEC hatred is alive and well too. >>

Ah yes, the SEC hatred that sees SEC teams not get punished for losing in the same fashion as teams in other conferences. Like, say, Alabama for losing to LSU last year not being punished but Michigan losing to Ohio State in 2006 being punished.

<< <i>The voters are telling the college football world that it doesn't matter if you schedule and beat hard teams or not.
    More college programs may be drifting towards playing cupcakes if they see what Oregon is getting away with. >>

Let's see Florida schedule an OOC game outside of the state of Florida and then you can talk about scheduling hard teams. Or Georgia scheduling better than Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. Alabama had just one quality opponent on their OOC schedule (Michigan).

And before you start with the "but the SEC conference schedule is sooooo tough, they have to schedule weak OOC games", let's not pretend that every week is Alabama vs LSU. There's plenty of Kentucky, Vandy, Tennessee, Auburn (this year), and so on games that are basically a week off.

If anything, there's an unjustified pro-SEC bias present in the current system.

Tabe
    I might add that Oregon put up 50 by halftime, or shortly thereafter, several times and pulled their starters in the early 3rd quarter.

I agree that a lot of weight goes into the early season rankings. Thus teams, of all conferences, get ranked at the beginning of the year and the ones ranked low have to move up and the ones ranked high take a while to fall. There is a perception issue based on the pre-season rankings. Right or wrong that's the way it is and it takes a while to move up or down.

I still maintain that the Oregon has incredible offensive firepower and I wish they would play Alabama for the national title. They won't get that chance now which is too bad. I realize their defense has looked quite suspect in recent weeks. Though, I should add, they had a ton of injuries and they aren't as deep as the SEC teams. However, I do believe they would give Alabama a good game had they gotten the chance. Much like they gave Auburn a good game a few years back in the BCS.

Again, we all bow down to the SEC. We are envious. We all want to be like you.

1) Florida is ranked higher then Oregon in the BCS standings. That's the only one that counts.

2) Florida vs Oregon would actually be a great game. However, I fear we will get Florida vs Michigan in the Capital One Bowl in all probability.

3) Oregon has played a weak schedule in total. Georgia's body of work is even worse and they are ranked #3. They didn't play LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M nor Mississippi State. They played two tough games the entire season. Beat Florida and got blown out by South Carolina

4) I think if anything there is pro SEC bias but they have mostly earned it

Personally I would have it ND, Alabama, Florida, Oregon and Georgia by default I guess

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

• << <i>

<< <i>It seems to me that the same Pac-10 bias that voted U$C #1 to start this season is alive and well. >>

USC was a consensus #1 preseason for EVERYBODY. Coming off a 10-2 season with their entire star-studded offense (minus Matt Kalil) coming back, they were a legit #1 preseason. Didn't work out that way obviously but it wasn't some "bias" putting them there.

<< <i>Seems like the SEC hatred is alive and well too. >>

Ah yes, the SEC hatred that sees SEC teams not get punished for losing in the same fashion as teams in other conferences. Like, say, Alabama for losing to LSU last year not being punished but Michigan losing to Ohio State in 2006 being punished.

<< <i>The voters are telling the college football world that it doesn't matter if you schedule and beat hard teams or not.
    More college programs may be drifting towards playing cupcakes if they see what Oregon is getting away with. >>

Let's see Florida schedule an OOC game outside of the state of Florida and then you can talk about scheduling hard teams. Or Georgia scheduling better than Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. Alabama had just one quality opponent on their OOC schedule (Michigan).

And before you start with the "but the SEC conference schedule is sooooo tough, they have to schedule weak OOC games", let's not pretend that every week is Alabama vs LSU. There's plenty of Kentucky, Vandy, Tennessee, Auburn (this year), and so on games that are basically a week off.

If anything, there's an unjustified pro-SEC bias present in the current system.

Tabe >>

USC was not the consensus #1 by everybody. The SEC has won the past 6 National Championships, and Alabama should have been #1 until someone knocked them off.
    They have had the best recruiting classes the past three years. Alabama beating Michigan was hardly a quality opponent. Alabama beating LSU was beating a quality
    opponent. As far as strength of SEC schedules, it varies from year to year, and it is not always easy like Georgia had this year. How about LSU's four consecutive
    games against Florida, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Alabama this year. You failed to mention that. Sometimes you get a favorable schedule in the SEC, sometimes you don't.

How about Kent State's loss to Kentucky this year. Yes, that was Kentucky's only win. They whipped Kent State 47-14. That's the same Kent State that
    beat BCS bowl bound Rutgers in Rutgers own backyard. If Kentucky is whipping teams that whip BCS bowl bound teams, then what does that say to the college football
    world ? Yet you are convinced that a game against Kentuck is a "week off". Please tell that to Kent State and BCS bowl bound Rutgers.

How about Auburn's close loss to ACC heavyweight Clemson this year ? 26-19. Auburn is another SEC doormat this year, but almost beat another conferences heavyweight.
    Voters keep track of this, and the SEC teams do not drop far because of these facts. Oh, but that was just a "week off" for Clemson too.

• << <i>
    As for Florida, their OOC schedule included such heavyweights as LA-Lafayette and Jacksonville State. The LA-Lafayette game saw Florida trail the entire game, having to block a punt on the last play to escape with a win. They've had multiple other ugly wins as well, like the 14-7 win over Missouri. Their one loss was an 8-pt defeat at home.

Sure, it's all speculation but the eyeball test says Oregon is better than Florida.

Tabe >>

Why schedule tough teams out of conference When your conference schedule is either on par or tougher than what an independent team like ND puts together? Despite having La-La and Jax St on their schedule, it is still ranked as the 2nd hardest schedule in the country and you want them to make it tougher? By the way, La-La may be better or equal to Boston College, purdue, Navy, Wake Forest, and Pitt this year. 5 teams that all appear on the #1 teams schedule.

Florida lost that Georgia game on a neutral field, and only by 8 after having SIX TURNOVERS. Too bad they have a pop Warner offense.

If Kentucky, Vandy, Auburn, etc are weeks off then what are Colorado, Washington St, Cal and Utah? I'm pretty sure the first 2 on that list are literally weeks off. Or what about Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, etc? EVERY conference has doormats.

Larryallen, Oregon did put up 50 points by halftime...Against the worst defense in the country, Colorado. (they give up 46 points per game on average!) impressive, but I'm pretty sure we all saw what happened to Oregon when they faced a good defense (Stanford), which is the 10th best scoring D in the country. Stanford held USC to 14...Oregon let them put up 51.

I'm not even super Pro SEC (although that may change if I go to UF for grad school next year haha) and I think my past record on this board shows that.
  • SEC is the best. Ok, new topic.
    Larryallen, Oregon did put up 50 points by halftime...Against the worst defense in the country, Colorado. (they give up 46 points per game on average!) impressive, but I'm pretty sure we all saw what happened to Oregon when they faced a good defense (Stanford), which is the 10th best scoring D in the country. Stanford held USC to 14...Oregon let them put up 51.

I'm not even super Pro SEC (although that may change if I go to UF for grad school next year haha) and I think my past record on this board shows that.

First of all, yes Goot. I would say you have not been Pro SEC over the years even though you live down there. I consider you a very fair minded and rationale poster here. Unlike a few over the years who tend to be a bit blinded and one sided. No names needed of course. image

Second, as for Oregon no question 50 at the half was against a horrible Colorado team. Also, yes they played a weak schedule and piled up points against those bad teams. I see that. However, when they beat Arizona 49-0 I (and many "experts") thought their defense had improved. In the end they are much like other Oregon teams of recent years with a lot of offensive but not much defense. However, I still maintain that they would give Alabama a good game. I think Oregon would be favored against Florida, by the way. I think for people (not saying you) to blindly dismiss Oregon (and others) because they aren't in the SEC is sort of close minded.
  • Understandable. Oregon is a great team, no doubt about it. I am very interested to see how the game against Oregon St turns out.

This is all why I can't wait until the playoff starts, even if it is just 4 teams for now.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    First of all, it's bit misleading to go by current rankings for opponents - you gotta go by where they were ranked when the teams played.

WRONG! Sometimes teams are ranked then prove to be terrible-see Auburn. Others prove to be overrated. The final ranking is much closer to the strength of a team than any earlier one.

Their one loss was setup by the replay officials botching a call in the end zone, wrongly awarding a TD to Stanford and was a 3-pt loss in OT.

Wrong again. The officials got it right.

I agree that Oregon looks better than Florida.

• << <i>Understandable. Oregon is a great team, no doubt about it.. >>

No doubt about it ???

Their only significant win is against a 24th ranked team,
    and they are 0-1 versus the Top 20 ?

The rest of their schedule was filled with creampuffs and wannabees.

Their defense is pathetic, and their offense got shut down by the only decent defense they played.
    But they're still a "great team".

I guess I just don't understand the logic behind that at all.

<< <i>Their one loss was setup by the replay officials botching a call in the end zone, wrongly awarding a TD to Stanford and was a 3-pt loss in OT.

Wrong again. The officials got it right. >>

The officials and announcers all focused on where the guy's shoulder(s). They all ignored that he juggled the ball after landing. Go back and watch the replay - no catch.

Tabe

<< <i>Why schedule tough teams out of conference When your conference schedule is either on par or tougher than what an independent team like ND puts together? Despite having La-La and Jax St on their schedule, it is still ranked as the 2nd hardest schedule in the country and you want them to make it tougher? By the way, La-La may be better or equal to Boston College, purdue, Navy, Wake Forest, and Pitt this year. 5 teams that all appear on the #1 teams schedule. >>

Find me an OOC game in the last 20 years that Florida played outside the state of Florida. Then find me one as tough as Notre Dame playing Oklahoma in Norman. Until they travel at least a little OOC, they're rightly going to be bashed for their scheduling.

Tabe

<< <i>USC was not the consensus #1 by everybody. The SEC has won the past 6 National Championships, and Alabama should have been #1 until someone knocked them off.
    They have had the best recruiting classes the past three years. >>

"should have been #1" - but they WEREN'T. USC was ranked #1 in pretty much every poll. Right or wrong, that was the universal opinion preseason. It's not like I'm stating an opinion here.

<< <i> Alabama beating Michigan was hardly a quality opponent. >>

You're right, a team coming off an 11-2 season with a BCS bowl victory is not a quality opponent. Whatever.

<< <i> Alabama beating LSU was beating a quality opponent. >>

No argument there.

<< <i> As far as strength of SEC schedules, it varies from year to year, and it is not always easy like Georgia had this year. How about LSU's four consecutive
    games against Florida, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Alabama this year. You failed to mention that. Sometimes you get a favorable schedule in the SEC, sometimes you don't. >>

Because LSU isn't in the discussion for the national title. I talked about the 3 schools from the SEC that are in the picture.

<< <i>How about Kent State's loss to Kentucky this year. Yes, that was Kentucky's only win. They whipped Kent State 47-14. That's the same Kent State that
    beat BCS bowl bound Rutgers in Rutgers own backyard. If Kentucky is whipping teams that whip BCS bowl bound teams, then what does that say to the college football
    world ? Yet you are convinced that a game against Kentuck is a "week off". Please tell that to Kent State and BCS bowl bound Rutgers. >>

So now Kent State and Rutgers are somehow football powerhouses? Here's the thing - if you're pointing to wins over those two schools to somehow support your argument, well, you've lost. Kentucky is a week off. They've got 1 win, you said it yourself.

<< <i>How about Auburn's close loss to ACC heavyweight Clemson this year ? 26-19. Auburn is another SEC doormat this year, but almost beat another conferences heavyweight.
    Voters keep track of this, and the SEC teams do not drop far because of these facts. Oh, but that was just a "week off" for Clemson too. >>

Sorry, Auburn is a week off this year. Did they rise up against Clemson a little bit? Sure. But they've also quit against several teams. They're a week off.

Fact is, there's a pro-SEC bias among voters. Some of it is legit and earned - the SEC has won a bunch of national titles and so on. But it also reeks of hypocrisy. In 2006, there was a ton of crying from the SEC that there shouldn't be a rematch for the national title between Michigan & Ohio State, despite Michigan losing by just 3 on the road to #1 OSU. When that situation was reversed last year, SEC people were all saying "it should be the two best teams", even though Alabama lost by 3 at home (not on the road). The SEC fans all scream about "strength of schedule" - except for last year when Oklahoma State's was actually better than Alabama's.

Me? I just want the two best teams in the title game. This year, I think those 2 teams are Alabama and Oregon. I've seen a ton of both of them, along with ND and Georgia, and I think Bama and Oregon are better than those two.

Tabe

• << <i>
    Find me an OOC game in the last 20 years that Florida played outside the state of Florida. Then find me one as tough as Notre Dame playing Oklahoma in Norman. Until they travel at least a little OOC, they're rightly going to be bashed for their scheduling.

Tabe >>

This is a bad joke, right ? You're not saying that Notre Dame's schedule was tougher then Florida's this year, are you ? If so, everyone in the country disagrees with you,
    including the facts.

Florida is 5-1 in BCS bowl appearances, including two national championships. They traveled all around the world to prove their BCS dominance.
    Notre Dame is 0-3 in BCS bowl appearances, including that 41-14 buttwhipping at the hands of LSU at the 2007 Sugar Bowl. Everyone felt sorry for Notre Dame
    as they weren't even in the same league as LSU.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Florida is ranked higher then Oregon in the BCS standings. That's the only one that counts.

2) Florida vs Oregon would actually be a great game. However, I fear we will get Florida vs Michigan in the Capital One Bowl in all probability.

3) Oregon has played a weak schedule in total. Georgia's body of work is even worse and they are ranked #3. They didn't play LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M nor Mississippi State. They played two tough games the entire season. Beat Florida and got blown out by South Carolina

Personally I would have it ND, Alabama, Florida, Oregon and Georgia by default I guess

MJ >>

You'd have a 9-1 Florida team two spots ahead of a 9-1 UGA team that beat Florida on a neutral field. Brilliant....
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    Tabe- The Stanford play in the endzone was clearly a TD. A shoulder being down in that situation is just like getting a foot down. He was not juggling the ball when his shoulder touched. Not sure what video you watched.

The only injustice this year involving Stanford is when the refs took the Notre Dame game away from them.

Also- Florida didn't lose to UGA "at home" as you mentioned earlier- they play on a neutral field in Jacksonville every year.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

<< <i>

<< <i>1) Florida is ranked higher then Oregon in the BCS standings. That's the only one that counts.

MJ >>

You'd have a 9-1 Florida team two spots ahead of a 9-1 UGA team that beat Florida on a neutral field. Brilliant.... >>

It's literally Georgia's only quality win. One. Name another. You don't automatically get to be #3 when you are 1-1 in your only tough games. The one loss was a doosie besides. MJ

• << <i>

It's literally Georgia's only quality win. One. Name another. You don't automatically get to be #3 when you are 1-1 in your only tough games. The one loss was a doosie besides. MJ >>

Georgia has had an easy path to a high ranking. LSU is easily a better team then Georgia this year. Texas A&M and Georgia would be a great game too.
    Florida is actually better then Georgia. They just turned the ball over 6 times when they played them.

I believe Alabama will expose Georgia, but Georgia can possibly beat Bama if they played the perfect game on both sides of the ball.

I personally believe that Alabama and LSU are the best two teams in the nation.
    LSU had four murderous games in a row. Florida, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Alabama. All four of those team in a row. They were 2-2 in that stretch.
    Florida has had a tough schedule too.

If Florida beats FSU, then you can make a case based on their schedule that they are more worthy then Alabama and Notre Dame to be in the final.

<< <i>Tabe- The Stanford play in the endzone was clearly a TD. A shoulder being down in that situation is just like getting a foot down. He was not juggling the ball when his shoulder touched. Not sure what video you watched. >>

You're right, he wasn't juggling when the shoulder touched. AFTER the second shoulder touched (the one that landed out of bounds), he juggled the ball. That's still "completing the process" of the catch. Therefore, since he juggled the ball, it's no catch.

You can see it clearly in the slow-mo at 3:02 in this video:

Stanford vs Oregon

Again, I am not arguing that he failed to get a shoulder down. He did. He juggled AFTER that, which is still part of making the catch. Ignore the announcers - maybe watch on mute - and look for the ball to be juggled in his hands after.

Tabe

<< <i>This is a bad joke, right ? You're not saying that Notre Dame's schedule was tougher then Florida's this year, are you ? If so, everyone in the country disagrees with you,
    including the facts. >>

That's not at all what I said. What I said was "Find me an OOC game in the last 20 years that Florida played outside the state of Florida. Then find me one as tough as Notre Dame playing Oklahoma in Norman."

You can't.

Period.

It's indisputable.

Florida doesn't play OOC games outside their own state. This is verifiable.

<< <i>Florida is 5-1 in BCS bowl appearances, including two national championships. >>

Which has nothing to do with this year. Notre Dame has more national titles than Florida. Both facts are equally irrelevant.

<< <i> They traveled all around the world to prove their BCS dominance. >>

Methinks you might be exaggerating a bit here image

<< <i>Notre Dame is 0-3 in BCS bowl appearances, including that 41-14 buttwhipping at the hands of LSU at the 2007 Sugar Bowl. Everyone felt sorry for Notre Dame
    as they weren't even in the same league as LSU. >>

Wow, I'm convinced! A game that happened nearly 6 years ago totally convinces me which team is better today! I mean, heck, who cares that NONE of the players and NONE of the coaches are still around, history matters!

No offense, but this whole line of argument is a total logic fail.

Tabe

<< <i>Also- Florida didn't lose to UGA "at home" as you mentioned earlier- they play on a neutral field in Jacksonville every year. >>

I stand corrected but, let's get real, that's basically a home game for Florida. It's not even close to the same thing as going up to Athens to play.

Tabe
  • What point are you trying to make that Florida doesn't play a non-conference game outside the state of Florida ?
    Other then the fact that they don't travel ?

I don't care where Notre Dame goes to play this year, their strength of schedule is still inferior to Florida's.

• << <i>

<< <i>Notre Dame is 0-3 in BCS bowl appearances, including that 41-14 buttwhipping at the hands of LSU at the 2007 Sugar Bowl. Everyone felt sorry for Notre Dame
    as they weren't even in the same league as LSU. >>

Wow, I'm convinced! A game that happened nearly 6 years ago totally convinces me which team is better today! I mean, heck, who cares that NONE of the players and NONE of the coaches are still around, history matters!

No offense, but this whole line of argument is a total logic fail.

Tabe >>

What it teaches us is that since the BCS inception, Notre Dame has sent inferior teams to BCS bowls. They have yet to win.
    If Alabama beats Auburn and Georgia, Notre Dame will again be the inferior team, some say a 10 point underdog.

Let's see if they can beat USC first.

<< <i>What point are you trying to make that Florida doesn't play a non-conference game outside the state of Florida ?
    Other then the fact that they don't travel ? >>

Pretty much exactly the point. They don't "go all around the world" as you so eloquently put it.

I'm not even sure how this morphed into Florida vs Notre Dame anyway. I don't think Notre Dame - OR Florida - are one of the two best teams in the country this year. The two best teams I've seen all year are Alabama and Oregon.

Tabe
  • ND and Ohio state are the best teams in the country, and would be a networks dream of a national championship game.

• << <i>

<< <i>What point are you trying to make that Florida doesn't play a non-conference game outside the state of Florida ?
    Other then the fact that they don't travel ? >>

Pretty much exactly the point. They don't "go all around the world" as you so eloquently put it.

I'm not even sure how this morphed into Florida vs Notre Dame anyway. I don't think Notre Dame - OR Florida - are one of the two best teams in the country this year. The two best teams I've seen all year are Alabama and Oregon.

Tabe >>

I said they go all around the world in their BCS dominance, not their regular season schedule.

What evidence do you have that Oregon is "the best team" you've seen ?
    They have one win against a #24 ranked opponent, have not beat anyone in the Top 20, and when they finally played a decent defense, they
    scored 14 points. So where's the hard evidence that they can hang with the big boys ?

<< <i>
    Florida is actually better then Georgia. They just turned the ball over 6 times when they played them. >>

This is the typical thought pattern of a fan who can't fathom why their team got their ass handed to them. Who's fault is it that Florida's offensive line couldn't keep Jarvis Jones out of the backfield all afternoon? You seem to be making the argument that the turnover are nothing to credit Georgia for, but also nothing that is worth faulting Florida for....Was it the NCAA Gods that just made it happen? With Georgia's defense this year and Florida's Offensive line, they could play that game 20 team times and Florida may win once.

I'm an SEC guy, but I'm a little tired of people jumping on this bandwagon that Notre Dame somehow "isn't worthy." Anyone with that schedule, to be 10-0 at this point, is remarkable. Winning on the road at Oklahoma, beating Stanford, Michigan, and Michigan State.... Give me a break. Notre Dame belongs. I don't think many of us realize WHY they are 10-0 and that makes is easy to write them off. They have a freshman QB and no real star players on offense. This team doesn't fit the typical Narrative of a BCS champion. But, they play defense and are an all around tough nosed football team.

They may or may not get shellacked later today when playing at USC. Who knows. But I'm not buying that this team should be a 14 or 17 point underdog against Alabama or Georgia in the BCS title game, as I've heard others suggest. If I'm an odds maker, I'd give them 7 against Alabama and maybe 3 against Georgia.

<< <i>I'm an SEC guy, but I'm a little tired of people jumping on this bandwagon that Notre Dame somehow "isn't worthy." Anyone with that schedule, to be 10-0 at this point, is remarkable. Winning on the road at Oklahoma, beating Stanford, Michigan, and Michigan State.... Give me a break. Notre Dame belongs. I don't think many of us realize WHY they are 10-0 and that makes is easy to write them off. They have a freshman QB and no real star players on offense. This team doesn't fit the typical Narrative of a BCS champion. But, they play defense and are an all around tough nosed football team.

They may or may not get shellacked later today when playing at USC. Who knows. But I'm not buying that this team should be a 14 or 17 point underdog against Alabama or Georgia in the BCS title game, as I've heard others suggest. If I'm an odds maker, I'd give them 7 against Alabama and maybe 3 against Georgia. >>

Well said.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish Ohio State was bowl-eligible because if Notre Dame and Ohio State went to the BCS title game, the people in the south would jump off the roof of their pole barns. lol
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TV ratings would go through the roof.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>TV ratings would go through the roof. >>

True. I would watch people in the south jumping off the roof of their pole barnsimage

MJ
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TV ratings would go through the roof. >>

True. I would watch people in the south jumping off the roof of their pole barnsimage

MJ >>

• << <i>I wish Ohio State was bowl-eligible because if Notre Dame and Ohio State went to the BCS title game. >>

Really is a shame. Ohio state vs Notre Dame wouldv'e been a dream National championship game.

• << <i>

They may or may not get shellacked later today when playing at USC. Who knows. But I'm not buying that this team should be a 14 or 17 point underdog against Alabama or Georgia in the BCS title game, as I've heard others suggest. If I'm an odds maker, I'd give them 7 against Alabama and maybe 3 against Georgia. >>

The oddsmakers gave Florida +7 yesterday against FSU.
    They gave South Carolina +4 against Clemson, along with easy numbers with Georgia and Vanderbilt. Call it easy money if you will.

I think the oddsmakers will get punished once again if they only give Notre Dame 7 against Alabama.
    I think the oddsmakers will get punished once again if they only give Notre Dame 7 against Alabama.

It's rare I find myself anywhere near agreeing with edmund but in this case I do. ND did not look very impressive against a very marginal U$C team. I am not a betting guy but if it were 'bama by only 7 I think I would drive up to Reno for some easy money.

• << <i>I think the oddsmakers will get punished once again if they only give Notre Dame 7 against Alabama.

It's rare I find myself anywhere near agreeing with edmund but in this case I do. ND did not look very impressive against a very marginal U$C team. I am not a betting guy but if it were 'bama by only 7 I think I would drive up to Reno for some easy money. >>

With ND's great defense, I look for a low scoring game.
    Not to rub anyone's nose in it..... but on ESPN BCS special tonight they announced (via Danny Sheridan) that the line on Alabama vs. ND would be AL -7. They also announced (via Danny Sheridan) that the line on Georgia vs. ND would be Georgia -3.

<< <i>Not to rub anyone's nose in it..... but on ESPN BCS special tonight they announced (via Danny Sheridan) that the line on Alabama vs. ND would be AL -7. They also announced (via Danny Sheridan) that the line on Georgia vs. ND would be Georgia -3. >>

It surprises me. I would think it would be much more of a spread. I have only watched one game of Georgia and it wasn't impressive (the Vols). One thing I will say about Georgia is they score a lot.

Anyway, if I were a betting man I would take the SEC team with those kind of spreads.

Also, I should add I am curious about Te'o for Heisman. Any chance? I am thinking he ends up second to the kid from A&M.