Home Precious Metals
Options

anyone collect silver artifacts?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don't own any at the moment who here likes functional items made from precious metals?

I don't mean run of the mill stuff like jewelry or silverware I'm talking oddball stuff like this

ebay silver belt

I've been watching that for a while the price has dropped since it was first posted I think it was 1200 the last time I looked at it.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Now that is some bling image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few thimbles are early 1900s British salt cellars. I'd love to have something like this sterling silver snuff box.

Snuff boxes, flasks, cigar boxes, there used to be all kinds of really cool engraved bits of silver art.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I think I'll pass on that stuff. image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect arts and crafts-era (also called Prairie School or Mission) furniture, pottery, and metalwork.

It wasn't unusual for metalsmiths from this school of design to create things in silver. Two of my favorite pieces are this sugar bowl and cream pitcher, both from the turn of the 20th century. They're about 5" tall and are pretty heavy. We got these when silver was $5 an ounce.

Pictured foreground is an art nouveau butter dish.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect arts and crafts-era (also called Prairie School or Mission) furniture, pottery, and metalwork.

It wasn't unusual for metalsmiths from this school of design to create things in silver. Two of my favorite pieces are this sugar bowl and cream pitcher, both from the turn of the 20th century. They're about 5" tall and are pretty heavy. We got these when silver was $5 an ounce.

>>

Very cool!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, Weiss!

I just wanna fling that pitcher at a skipping stone fireplace hearth and scream for a wench. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I had collected a few silver match boxes with raised hunting scenes.... do not know what happened to them, must have been lost in one of my moves or divorces. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Several years ago I rescued a sterling silver rosary and box from a scrap box. It's neat. the box is made of little coils soldered together. Wonderful craftsmanship.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an ex girlfriend of mine got into stuff like that. she did pretty good with it ( and still does last ive heard )
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'm open to it for gifts or collecting. Rather give a gift with real value if I can, such as a pure silver item.
    (discounting jewelry/diamonds because its so marked up)

Gave the wifey two silver plated heart boxes. I give her pure silver to add into these, but she still wants the personal jewelry bling.

Found a pitcher at Good Will. No price, and the counter didn't know. I copied the symbols (sterling) down to investigate and rushed back
    the next day to find it was already sold at $109. Had I the experience, I would have bought it at the first visit if possible, maybe
    for a few bucks. I must have stirred up their thinking and they realized what they had or something.
    COA