Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov 4, 2012: Silver Coin #150 AND checked an item off my Top 10 Want List - Sterling Thimble!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got up today with high hopes of hitting silver coin #150 for the year. It was about 34 degrees when I woke up, ugh! It was about 38 by the time I pulled in, and some nice snow flurries were happy to greet me.

Had about 3 hours set aside and I thought, "if I can get 150, I'm outta here as soon as that happens, even if it takes 5 minutes." This was the same place from yesterday, with the 1819 half real, etc.

Whelp, fast forward 5 minutes later... A quarter signal shows up. But it gave me a feeling at first of it being a nail as the e-trac sometimes does. I did the "e-trac 360" and tested the signal at 4 angles. Each side produced a solid signal and no nulling. Alright! That's promising. It was deeper than the initial plug, and on top of a scoop with the shovel was what looked like an outer ring of silver. "What?" It didn't look like a coin... stared at it for a few seconds trying to figure if that's the object... Finally decided to pick it up... WHAT??? COULD IT BE?? IT'S A STERLING SILVER THIMBLE!!! It was an item on my top 10 want list. It's beautiful and fortunately didn't get scratched in the recovery process. It's a size 7 and made by "MKD". Any idea on age? Weight is 5.0 grams. The first image is a recreation of what it could have looked like in the hole image. I put it back in the hole after recovering just for effect.

It suddenly warmed up to about 60 degrees. And about 5-10 minutes after that silver #150 pops out - a 1943 Mercy dime!!!! What a treat. It was suddenly 75 and sunny, and of course I couldn't leave. What else could be there?? Ended with one more Merc - 1945 and 4 wheat cents. Also got a larger flat button.

You just never know what will come out, never figured a silver thimble will be at this place. This might be it for the year, but am hoping to get another hunt or two in. Supposed to be in the 30s pretty much all week. Get out there while you can!

HH all.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice looking thimble. You need to stay out there until the ground is frozen.
  • Options
    That's a nice relic! Way to go!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way cool thimble. nice pick up image
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    There should be a hallmark inside the thimble that might give you an idea on the age. I dug one a few years back turned out to be from the early 1970s but nice none the less.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There should be a hallmark inside the thimble that might give you an idea on the age. I dug one a few years back turned out to be from the early 1970s but nice none the less. >>

Hey Doc, do you have a pic of yours? Always nice seeing other finds.

Tried doing a little searching online for "MKD" (or apparently "KMD"). Found one where another person asked about their thimble, and this is the response, "Your thimble was made by Ketcham and McDougall, a thimble maker in NY City. They produced sterling thimbles from 1892 thru 1932."

So it looks like it has a couple of years on it

Horrible attempt at a pic...Can kind of see the "MKD" and ever so slightly see parts of sterling.

Forgot to post a pic of the other stuff... guess these people like their costume jewelry. Thought that Catholic cross was lead at first, but the top broke off trying to straighten it, so who knows what it is.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I found an old thread in another forum where I posted a pic of my thimble. Scroll down to post #38
    detecting thread.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice thimble... what a rare find.... great that you hit - and exceeded - 150...congratulations....Cheers, RickO