Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov 3, 2012: 6 Silvers including 1819 Half Real!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Winter is coming, ugh. Really only a few more times to get out before it gets too cold. Started out today at around 38 degrees and damp. Wasn't pleasant, but can't be choosey in November. This was an area I hadn't hit before, so I wasn't sure where to start. Just wandered around at first hoping something would come up. A little bit in, a buffalo nickel came up. Alright, now we're talking!

Decided to focus in that area. A few minutes later a flat button popped out! Then I got a signal that sounded kind of like a wheat cent, but not quite... dug a few inches to reveal a small silver disc. "What the heck is this?" It seemed smaller and thinner than a dime, but I couldn't see much detail. Unwilling to rub it, I would have had to wait until I got home to find out.

A little while later a 1926 Merc popped up, and then a 1942 Washington. Later a 1923 Merc shows, then a 1943-P war nickel, and finally a 1946 Roosie. Puts the silver total at 149 for the year. So, so close to 150... hopefully tomorrow if it's not too cold.

Sometime in the hunt I got an odd signal and after a couple of minutes of digging, out comes what looks to be some kind of wallet, or pouch. Inside were 4 wheat cents. There is one piece of paper that is left, but I can't see much maybe an ID card in case it gets lost?... I see something about "Address" with a line, then card number with a line, and below I see "case of emergency" but I don't see anything that was hand written. The four wheats were 1940, 1940, 1942, 1948 - so it may have been lost in the 40s. This piece has a zipper on it too... Pretty neat seeing that come out.

Finally get home and get to clean the small silver disc... It's a half real! It turns out to be an 1819 half real. Mint looks to be Mexico City.

Overall an awesome day! Also hit $300 face value for the year of all pocket change today.

HH all.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that people like to keep there money where you live. NICE FINDSimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing, that site has huge potential... not sure how big the area is, but you should hunt it all...then hunt it again.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you dont like that half reale for whatever reason please send it to me. thanks image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Wow. I tell ya what, you have extraordinary places to hunt. Just crazy! Congrats on all the great finds.

Hit it hard, then hit it again, then hit it again. Big time potential right there.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Hoping to hit this place again over Thanksgiving...if the weather permits. Been getting consistent frosts, so hopefully the ground doesn't freeze.

johnny, you got it! If such a coin is unwelcome in my collection, she'll be sent right to you!

ricko, this place might have to be finished up in the spring, unfortunately.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Maybe you'll dig up the Mayflower?!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).